What are the prices for kids?

kctwinmommy

Hey there everyone! I'm new here, heard a lot about this place from DISboards though. I've been on 3 cruises so far, all without our kids. Well, with my DH having traveled for nearly 20% of the past year (and he doesn't have a job that actually requires traveling, just extra work and some other things), we've been thinking about taking a short cruise with our twins.

We have a boy & a girl, about 4 1/2 when we'd plan on going (Jan., or Feb.). As much as I LOVED having a balcony when we went last year, I'm not going to do that with the kids. I figure, if I can convince DH, I'd like to at least have an ocean view, but I have a feeling he may say inside for this one.

Anyway, I've been on Carnival twice, really loved them, no real complaints at all. And once was on Fantasy (I think?), it was the 3-day Bahamas one. It was OK, in that I prefer longer, but we went with 3 other couples, and for some, it was their first time. Last year we did the Glory, which was obviously better though, since it's their newer ship. My other cruise was in 2002, we did a 12-day one on MSC. Very small, European cruise line. But we saw some beautiful locations on that one.

Soo... what are the prices like for kids? I know it's still not cheap, but not sure what we'd be looking at. If someone can give me some ideas, that would be great! TIA!!

Sorry to break it to you, but on most lines kids will cost the same as anyone else...where you get the price break is that they are the 3rd and 4th pax in a room. But it's not a kid price break b/c a 40 y/o would be the same price break. For room options, they are many and varied. It ranges from a regular 4 person room (even an inside, which would be cheapest) where the extra beds pull down like a loft, to sleeping on a sofa sleeper, to getting a suite that has an extra room with beds in it. The kids may be too young for it, but you could also get two adjoining rooms, but that would eliminate the price break for the 3rd/4th pax thing, since they'd be 1st/2nd in the room.

When I want to know what the 3rd person price is for a sailing, I start a dummy reservation on the cruiseline's website and see. I've always found that the 3rd/4th rate is the same for any class of cabin.

Sorry to break it to you, but on most lines kids will cost the same as anyone else...where you get the price break is that they are the 3rd and 4th pax in a room. But it's not a kid price break b/c a 40 y/o would be the same price break. For room options, they are many and varied. It ranges from a regular 4 person room (even an inside, which would be cheapest) where the extra beds pull down like a loft, to sleeping on a sofa sleeper, to getting a suite that has an extra room with beds in it. The kids may be too young for it, but you could also get two adjoining rooms, but that would eliminate the price break for the 3rd/4th pax thing, since they'd be 1st/2nd in the room.

When I want to know what the 3rd person price is for a sailing, I start a dummy reservation on the cruiseline's website and see. I've always found that the 3rd/4th rate is the same for any class of cabin.

OK thanks! I thought that they didn't give much of a break, if any. But wasn't sure. And we get the military discount on Carnival, so that can help I suppose... I'll have to call the guy we've booked through before and see what he says.

we take are grandchild with us and it's about 399.00 for a 7 day cruise. per child. But thats on celebrity cruises.

OK, thanks for the info... this is nothing definite, I'm not sure if I want to take them on a cruise yet. I love them, but not sure if I want to take the kids!

I wouldn't take a cruise without my son! It is a great way to travel with kids. There are youth programs on all the ships. Carnival and Royal Caribbean have the waterslides. Carnival ships seem to have larger staterooms than Royal. If you have sailed Carnival before and liked them- go for it. You do get the military discount. If you have sailed Carnival before- they might even give you a complimentary upgrade once on board. Get the largest cabin you can afford if you have two kids or get two connecting cabins.

Also it is probably smart to do the cruise during the school year- when there won't be many kids on board. That way the kids will get extra attention in the youth program.

If you are worried about taking the kids- try a shorter cruise and see how it goes. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how their excitement makes your trip really great.

I've never clicked the box to see what military discount RCI gives, but I know they have that box to click (same place as senior and what state you live in...to see if discounts apply to your particular sailing.) So don't forget to check Royal Caribbean, too.

Really?? When we were booking our 2nd Carnival one (with the same 3 couples again), the guy organizing it called them and they told him they didn't offer anything for military. In fact, they were quite abrupt with him, and he said the way they acted, he wouldn't want to give him our business.

Besides, I am happy with Carnival, and I would like to stay with them since I know that being a past cruiser, you can get upgrades. But maybe we'll check out RCL just to see...

I wouldn't take a cruise without my son! It is a great way to travel with kids. There are youth programs on all the ships. Carnival and Royal Caribbean have the waterslides. Carnival ships seem to have larger staterooms than Royal. If you have sailed Carnival before and liked them- go for it. You do get the military discount. If you have sailed Carnival before- they might even give you a complimentary upgrade once on board. Get the largest cabin you can afford if you have two kids or get two connecting cabins.

Also it is probably smart to do the cruise during the school year- when there won't be many kids on board. That way the kids will get extra attention in the youth program.

If you are worried about taking the kids- try a shorter cruise and see how it goes. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how their excitement makes your trip really great.

Thanks! We would be going probably in January or February, before spring breaks start. Our kids are only 4 1/2, so missing a couple days of preschool is no big deal. And I have heard that Carnival's cabins are a bit larger than a lot of the others. I never thought about getting 2 cabins, then we could have our own rooms at least...

And I thought about the shorter ones, but I know I don't really like the 3 day ones, it's usually the older ships, and I will say I like the newer ones much better. Plus, for us, traveling from Chicago and back, I thought it was just too much for only 3 days. But, we'll see... Thanks for the info!

Avoid Miami if you can. This airport is the pits! Then you have an expensive taxi ride to the port. Flying home was even worse and all our luggage (100passengers!) was lost on a NON-STOP. Crazy. What a pain.

I really love Ft. Lauderdale airport and the port is only a five minute taxi ride.

If you don't do Carnival- try Royal. They do give discounts to military personel and the youth program and onboard activities are similar to Carnival. Staterooms are a bit bigger on Carnival though.

Avoid Miami if you can. This airport is the pits! Then you have an expensive taxi ride to the port. Flying home was even worse and all our luggage (100passengers!) was lost on a NON-STOP. Crazy. What a pain.

I really love Ft. Lauderdale airport and the port is only a five minute taxi ride.

If you don't do Carnival- try Royal. They do give discounts to military personel and the youth program and onboard activities are similar to Carnival. Staterooms are a bit bigger on Carnival though.

Yeah, I've heard about Miami! I've been through Ft. Lauderdale before, and of course Orlando (Port Canveral). I'll have to see what RCL has too, thanks again!

I disagree, the Miami airport to the port is 8 miles. It is $26 taxi ride...lol. ;) I never have problems in/out of Miami.

kctwinmommy - Now the military prices on Carnival can be sick cheap. I was helping a military friend book a Carnival ship and it was $199 for the adults and $99 each for the kids - 4 day cruise. :eek:

Generally the 3rd/4th rate for a 7 day Carnival/RCCL cruise runs from $299 to $599.

I disagree, the Miami airport to the port is 8 miles. It is $26 taxi ride...lol. ;) I never have problems in/out of Miami.

kctwinmommy - Now the military prices on Carnival can be sick cheap. I was helping a military friend book a Carnival ship and it was $199 for the adults and $99 each for the kids - 4 day cruise. :eek:

Generally the 3rd/4th rate for a 7 day Carnival/RCCL cruise runs from $299 to $599.

Really??? I guess we never looked at the really cheap ones. We did an ocean view the first time, and I was able to convince DH to do a balcony on the next one. That one was like $1500 for the 2 of us, 7-day cruise.

I did look on their site last night to see what we could swing. And the only thing that I think is stopping us is airfare! But, we'll see... maybe something good will pop up. But, I did see that 3rd/4th rate according to their site was like $130-240 or so, depending on the class of room.

Maybe I'll just call our agent with Carnival and see what he says... Thanks for the info though!

Really??? I guess we never looked at the really cheap ones. We did an ocean view the first time, and I was able to convince DH to do a balcony on the next one. That one was like $1500 for the 2 of us, 7-day cruise.

I did look on their site last night to see what we could swing. And the only thing that I think is stopping us is airfare! But, we'll see... maybe something good will pop up. But, I did see that 3rd/4th rate according to their site was like $130-240 or so, depending on the class of room.

Maybe I'll just call our agent with Carnival and see what he says... Thanks for the info though!

There are different times of the year that the prices will take a dive. From the last week of August till the end of October, it's cheap. Then the week after Thanksgiving, very cheap.

I just checked Carnival Liberty (7 days) balcony for Sept 6th, $749 for 1st 2, $359 for 3rd/4th rate. And Liberty is one of their newest ships. ;)

Military Rate will go even lower, so get a TA to help you with that.

To monitor the airfare, go to http://www.kayak.com

Archived