duty-free at gatwick and taking liquor into dubai

commonsense2

I'm not sure you'll be able to do what you are hoping. Are you allowed to bring liquids more than 3oz onboard? If not, will you have access to your luggage so you can put your duty-free liquor inside? Just a few things to consider.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I'm not sure you'll be able to do what you are hoping. Are you allowed to bring liquids more than 3oz onboard? If not, will you have access to your luggage so you can put your duty-free liquor inside? Just a few things to consider.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

? Once you are inside the controlled area you can buy whatever you want from duty free You really don't think they are going to put duty free out of business?. Also generally the 3 oz restriction is only on flights to and from the US.

i'd like to purchase some duty free liquor during my layover at gatwick - connecting with an emirates flight to dubai. is this doable?

i read that it is permissable to bring up to 4 litres into dubai for personal use. any experiences with this?

There is no problem bringing alcohol into Dubai if you're a visitor and you observe the limit.

And there's no technical reason why you shouldn't buy at Gatwick after clearing security, as you can take as much as you like on board. The volume restriction applies only at the security checkpoint.

But buying at Gatwick is very possibly not the best idea. You're likely to get better prices if you buy at the arrivals shop at Dubai. It's after immigration and before baggage reclaim. You can buy up to your limit there.

Also generally the 3 oz restriction is only on flights to and from the US.
No, there is a similar restriction on all flights departing from EU airports, and many other airports around the world as well: Australia and Hong Kong are two that I've recently been to that have this limit. In addition, Australia imposes the limit on inbound flights, so you have to comply with this before boarding the last sector to Australia.

....No, there is a similar restriction on all flights departing from EU airports, and many other airports around the world as well: Australia and Hong Kong are two that I've recently been to that have this limit. In addition, Australia imposes the limit on inbound flights, so you have to comply with this before boarding the last sector to Australia.

actually in Europe it varies from County to Country. In Spain they allow and only check for flights to the US. That is why I said Generally. The EU countries are not enforcing it between countries other than the US and Britain....

actually in Europe it varies from County to Country. In Spain they allow and only check for flights to the US. That is why I said Generally. The EU countries are not enforcing it between countries other than the US and Britain....

I was slightly inaccurate.

The rules are uniform across the EEA (that is, all EU countries plus Iceland, Norway and Switzerland). So Spain applies exactly the same rules to all departures as does the UK, irrespective of destination. The same rules therefore apply to passengers travelling to the US as to all other destinations from any EEA airport, including Spanish airports.

For confirmation, see this page from the website of the Spanish airports company.

I was slightly inaccurate.

The rules are uniform across the EEA (that is, all EU countries plus Iceland, Norway and Switzerland). So Spain applies exactly the same rules to all departures as does the UK, irrespective of destination. The same rules therefore apply to passengers travelling to the US as to all other destinations from any EEA airport, including Spanish airports.

For confirmation, see this page from the website of the Spanish airports company.

This may be the "rules" but it is NOT what they are actually doing. I was required to hand carry on a Spanish flight a half gallon of olive oil(in fact it is inflammable). You are not allowed to check them on a Spanish non US flight. When I got to Madrid, they of course wouldn't allow it on the US leg, so they had to call an agent to take me out of the "secured area" and then check it in another bag to the US. This too caused a problem as my other checked bags were already checked through to the US and the screener wanted to know where they (and my wife who stayed within the secured area) was. Finally had to get a supervisor to allow me to proceed to check this one bag. We just came back from some place else and we and everybody else were permitted to carry on the plane anything liquid we had(in my case two bottles of water and some cans of soda-which I fully expected to throw out)... They just changed the rules on lighters and matches as well. These rules are beyond stupid. If I wanted to carry on a plane explosives(which I don't), I can think of many ways to get plastic non liquid explosives(you make it look like a bar of soap) aboard and a mercury detonator(less than 3 ouches of liquid) with a cell phone set up to detonate it. The only one this stops is the rank amateurs and you can say what you want about Al Qeda and they are not amateurs.

Archived