Doubtless Bay North Island New Zealand

We are having trouble finding information on restaurants, grocery stores, liquor stores and banks available on the North Island of New Zealand, outside of Auckland. We have 4 nights booked in Doubtless Bay, about 1/2 way between the west coast and Bay of Islands. We have a kitchen so could eat in, but don't know what's available in the area as far as groceries, bakeries, wine store. If anyone has any information about this area, we'd really appreciate it. We'll be there post cruise from the 3rd to 7th of February. Thanks for any assistance anybody can provide.

We are having trouble finding information on restaurants, grocery stores, liquor stores and banks available on the North Island of New Zealand, outside of Auckland. We have 4 nights booked in Doubtless Bay, about 1/2 way between the west coast and Bay of Islands. We have a kitchen so could eat in, but don't know what's available in the area as far as groceries, bakeries, wine store. If anyone has any information about this area, we'd really appreciate it. We'll be there post cruise from the 3rd to 7th of February. Thanks for any assistance anybody can provide.

Kia ora i Aotearoa,

Doubtless bay is quite a large area (by NZ standards) on the East coast of the North Island and is north of the Bay of Islands (Kerkeri, Paihia, Russell etc.) The nearest town of any size, Kaitaia, in the far north, has a good range of facilities. Half way between the west coast & B.o.I. would put you near the inland town of Kaikohe! If you have a kitchen where you are staying it sounds like a motel. Wherever you are staying you won't be too far from a food store, pub/wine store & EFTPOS etc.

Hope this helps.

Aquarians

Check this website ... www.doubtlessbay.co.nz. It should provide some useful answers or at least pointers.

Cheers

Bob

We love that area of New Zealand. We spent a couple of nights up there a few years ago and remember having wonderful breakfasts at a little town called Manganui. We were staying at Coopers Beach in a lovely unit and it was only a short drive from there.

We drove up to the tip of the North Island where the two oceans meet. It is a very special part of this world.

Jennie

Kia ora,

I used to live in Northland and regulary worked in the area. It's known as the sub tropical north. You should have no trouble finding suitable shops Yes, Monganui is only about 10 minutes by car & Coopers beach even less. From where you will be staying you can get to the west coast/Ninety mile beach through Kaitaia which isn't too far away. If you are driving from Auckland you would probably come via the Bay of Islands which has received mention. If you can get to the cape it's worth a visit.

I'm sure you will love your visit & the people.

Aquarians

My husband is from Kaitaia and I've spent a lot of time in that part of the world. Its beautiful - so many lovely unspoilt beaches with hardly a soul on them.

There is a place called Chuck's Cove near Coopers Beach which is named after my husband's family.

There are lots of lovely little towns with shops. You should try and do a trip over to 90 mile beach. It is only about 20km from coast to coast.

Thanks to all of you, we are really looking forward to visiting the Doubtless Bay area, and with all the wonderful information you have given us, it should be even more enjoyable. Many Thanks!! We're so excited about our dream holiday, only wish it could be longer. Too bad we still have to work otherwise we'd spend a few months away!

Archived