Penguin Preserve - Dunedin

marilynfaye

Has anyone gone to the Penguin Preserve on your own and did you need an advance reservation for the tour? I don't want to rent a car so was wondering if there were taxis available at the port, or in town, to drive you out there, and if there were taxis hanging around the Preserve when you finished. Or, has anyone had any experience hiring a taxi and driver for a few hours like we have done in other ports?

Thanks,

Marilyn

It is a long way to see the penguins that a taxi would probably be too expensive. It is in a very isolated place.

My idea is to rent a car and drive there visiting lanarch castle which is on the way and the albatross place which is also on the way, alternatively try one of the smaller private companies or get another couple to share. The drive itself is lovely as you drive around the bay

Marilyn, we were at the reserve just a few weeks ago. Well worth it but as Karon says too far for a taxi. You might want to rent a car. You can just show up and book the tour. You cannot go out on your own because they bus you out to the reserve area and it is guided. Lanarch Castle is worth a visit before you get there and the Albatross Reserve is just another few kilometres away. Six of us booked Chris Roberts at Back to Nature tours. Chris also took us to see the Dunedin train station, Otago University, Baldwin Street( worlds steepest street). All day tour admissions included 160NZD Admission to Yellow Eyed Penguin Reserve is 35NZD and Albatross 30NZD if independent. Larnach Castle was included.

chris@backtonaturetours.co.nz

Marilyn,

We did a boat tour that took us to a dock near the penguin colony where we were picked up by an old bus. Although it was a rainy day, it was still fun and the penguins were amazing to see from underground bunkers. It was several years ago so I don't remember the specifics, but I'm sure you can google it if interested. In Feb we're going back but this time doing Arthur's tours so we can also go to the Albatross colony and see Lamarch Castle as well as visit 'our' penguins again.

There are shuttles and taxis at the port but you really need to be booked for the Penguin Reserve. When we visited last November the there were about 40 people on the tour - you get put into smaller groups after the initial interpretation.

If you hire a car you really need to know where you are going to see the best parts of this gorgeous city. We booked a tour with Back to Nature Tours http://www.backtonaturetours.co.nz last November and had a great time:D:D:D. Like EHzed we got an informative city tour and then spent most of the day on the peninsula travelling on gravel roads, they are very narrow and I would not have liked to drive on them personally so hiring a car in my opinion is not a good idea.:eek:

The tour of Penguin Place was included in our iteniary. Our tour included a trip to Larnach Castle which I highly recommend, the gardens are absolutley beautiful. :)

Archived