Charlottetown Shore Excursions

c breeze

• 3 weeks later...

Try Cavendish, particularly the beach--the water is quite warm, surprizingly.

Also, Anne of Green Gables could be considered "historical", but has lovely grounds to walk through.

The island is beautiful, so you should see a lot of wonderful scenery. If you have never been before, you may find the red clay dirt interesting. I'm quite partial to P.E.I. as my Dad's family came from Summerside. Enjoy!

Try Cavendish' date=' particularly the beach--the water is quite warm, surprizingly.

Also, [u']Anne of Green Gables[/u] could be considered "historical", but has lovely grounds to walk through.

The island is beautiful, so you should see a lot of wonderful scenery. If you have never been before, you may find the red clay dirt interesting. I'm quite partial to P.E.I. as my Dad's family came from Summerside. Enjoy!

Thanks! We are going in early October, and have never been to P.E.I. before. We have been to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, as well as Quebec City.

These are two excursions we are looking at: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shorexDetails.html?groupId=CHA_01

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shorexDetails.html?groupId=CHA_05

C breeze: I took a look and think that either of these excursions should be fine. The one which includes the P.E.I. Preserves Co. and Rustico Village as well as Anne of Green Gables may have more variety, but of course, it's a matter of preference. Sure you will enjoy whichever you choose. Hope you have a great cruise!

We'll be in PEI in October on Explorer of the Seas, but RCI's excursions aren't available yet. I really like NCL's Ultimate Anne of Green Gables tour - as this is the 100th anniversary of the publishing of the first "Anne" book. I hope RCI will have a similar tour.

Hi there! I hope I can be of some help to you: about 90% of my extended family lives in various parts of PEI, we have a cottage there, and I worked for 2 years at PEI National Park and 2 years at the Cavendish visitor information centre. In other words, I know PEI very, VERY well; I actually know more about it than my home province (New Brunswick)!

I looked at all of the excursions available for Charlottetown, and the one that includes the PEI Preserve Company (

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shorexDeta...groupId=CHA_05) sounds like your best bet if you like scenery and nature (plus, I've been to the Preserve Company many times, and the food is wonderful!). The other excursion you mentioned concentrates on historic sites, and doesn't include the beach, which is a must-do, in my opinion (of course, since I worked there for 2+ years, I'm a bit biased!).

When you go to the Anne of Green Gables House, I suggest you skip going in the house right away; most people will do that and the house is quite small, so it gets hot and stuffy. Instead, take a walk on one of the trails (Lover's Lane or the Haunted Wood, which is my favorite) first, and by the time you get back, it will probably be less crowded.

I hope that helps...you are going to love your trip. If you are going in late September or early October, the leaves will be out in full force and the foliage will be beautiful! If I can be of further assistance, please let me know!

Hi there! I hope I can be of some help to you: about 90% of my extended family lives in various parts of PEI, we have a cottage there, and I worked for 2 years at PEI National Park and 2 years at the Cavendish visitor information centre. In other words, I know PEI very, VERY well; I actually know more about it than my home province (New Brunswick)!

I looked at all of the excursions available for Charlottetown, and the one that includes the PEI Preserve Company (

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shorexDeta...groupId=CHA_05) sounds like your best bet if you like scenery and nature (plus, I've been to the Preserve Company many times, and the food is wonderful!). The other excursion you mentioned concentrates on historic sites, and doesn't include the beach, which is a must-do, in my opinion (of course, since I worked there for 2+ years, I'm a bit biased!).

When you go to the Anne of Green Gables House, I suggest you skip going in the house right away; most people will do that and the house is quite small, so it gets hot and stuffy. Instead, take a walk on one of the trails (Lover's Lane or the Haunted Wood, which is my favorite) first, and by the time you get back, it will probably be less crowded.

I hope that helps...you are going to love your trip. If you are going in late September or early October, the leaves will be out in full force and the foliage will be beautiful! If I can be of further assistance, please let me know!

Thanks so much for your great information! We will definitely do the "Island Drive & Anne of Green Gables" tour, which includes a varitey of stops. I am really looking forward to this trip, and this is the only port on the itinerary that we have not visited before.

I would suggest your second choice for your tour, it gives you more time for what you would like to see, your tour of the city will be fanatasic and give you a better idea of what the history and the feel of the place will be

Capebrenton: What would you suggest for Sydney? We have already done the tour called "Heart of the Island". http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shorex.html?destinationCode=CANADA%2FNEW+ENGL&previousValue=ALL&portCode=SYN&startingRowNumber=0&selectedDateRange=&priceProgramCode=BESTFARE&packageId=&shipCode=&dispatch=shorexSearch&dispatch=nonItinerarySearch

Nancy, Thanks for the info on EWR hotels. I think we are on the same sailing-Explorer on 10/9. Haven't checked the roll call yet.

Starrzone-- where's a good place in Sydney and Charlottetown for lobster, probably for lunch. Nothing fancy, just roll up your sleeves lobster.

In Charlottetown, even if you are not interested in that much history, Founders Hall is wonderful. It goes through all the provinces in the order in which they joined the nation. Really a good insight into the history of our northern neighbor. And it's right down by the harbor with lots of nice little shops to visit.

In Charlottetown, even if you are not interested in that much history, Founders Hall is wonderful. It goes through all the provinces in the order in which they joined the nation. Really a good insight into the history of our northern neighbor. And it's right down by the harbor with lots of nice little shops to visit.

Thanks! We will also try to check out Founder's Hall when we are in port!

• 2 weeks later...
Nancy, Thanks for the info on EWR hotels. I think we are on the same sailing-Explorer on 10/9. Haven't checked the roll call yet.

Starrzone-- where's a good place in Sydney and Charlottetown for lobster, probably for lunch. Nothing fancy, just roll up your sleeves lobster.

I've been so busy planning my own cruises lately I haven't been checking out the Canada branch to see if I could be of any help.

If you are looking for good lobster for lunch right in Charlottetown, there is Lobster on the Wharf Restaurant http://www.lobsteronthewharf.com/ which is probably the closest to the Ship's dock (just in front of Founders Hall) a little furter up on Prince street is the Water-Prince Corner Shop which also serves lobster dinners in the summer http://www.waterprincelobster.ca/ it's more of a diner type of restaurant but good food at good prices. I think you'd be safe with either place.

I've been so busy planning my own cruises lately I haven't been checking out the Canada branch to see if I could be of any help.

Another website you can check out for info on Charlottetown is http://www.walkandseacharlottetown.com/cruise-ships/ or http://www.historiccharlottetownseaport.com/cruiseships/

If you are looking for good lobster for lunch right in Charlottetown, there is Lobster on the Wharf Restaurant http://www.lobsteronthewharf.com/ which is probably the closest to the Ship's dock (just in front of Founders Hall) a little furter up on Prince street is the Water-Prince Corner Shop which also serves lobster dinners in the summer http://www.waterprincelobster.ca/ it's more of a diner type of restaurant but good food at good prices. I think you'd be safe with either place.

Another website you can check out for info on Charlottetown is http://www.walkandseacharlottetown.com/cruise-ships/ or http://www.historiccharlottetownseaport.com/cruiseships/

Lots of great info! Thanks!

I visit PEI every summer. Most of my family is from the Souris area at the east end of the Island. It is a wonderfully scenic island with the friendliest people. When you return from your bus tour there are a few things you could do before you return to the ship. You could have a yummy lobster lunch. The best lobster is PEI lobster. You could have an ice cream cone at Cow's...great ice cream. You could visit Founder's Hall or the Confederation Center. Charlottetown is a very walkable and a very safe city. Enjoy!

I visit PEI every summer. Most of my family is from the Souris area at the east end of the Island. It is a wonderfully scenic island with the friendliest people. When you return from your bus tour there are a few things you could do before you return to the ship. You could have a yummy lobster lunch. The best lobster is PEI lobster. You could have an ice cream cone at Cow's...great ice cream. You could visit Founder's Hall or the Confederation Center. Charlottetown is a very walkable and a very safe city. Enjoy!

Now, I wish I had more than one day in port!

• 1 month later...

Colleen can you recommend local tour companies for our tours. I find the ship's tours very crowded and much prefer a local guide. I have found sometime if the port is small the ship contracts all the guides and we are forced to go on their tour. Hopefully this will not be the case in Charlottetown.

I will reiterate what Nancy said Leprachaun 2, do come and join our roll call. There are four of us from the roll call taking the Bruce tour in Halifax and we are looking for 2 more people so if you are interested I will give you the details

Colleen can you recommend local tour companies for our tours. I find the ship's tours very crowded and much prefer a local guide. I have found sometime if the port is small the ship contracts all the guides and we are forced to go on their tour. Hopefully this will not be the case in Charlottetown.

I will reiterate what Nancy said Leprachaun 2, do come and join our roll call. There are four of us from the roll call taking the Bruce tour in Halifax and we are looking for 2 more people so if you are interested I will give you the details

You can find a list of tour companies here http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/search/search.php3?thetype=tour&indexonly=yes&PHPSESSID=07d4f61d1c8dbe5bbe1dba4df907920d

I don't know if the cruiselines contract all of the tour guides but I have personal knowledge of Prince Edward Tours - I'm not positive but I think they may be one of the tour companies that supplies the tours for the cruise lines, Abegweit tours - I worked for them many, many moons ago and a friend of mine works for them now, she told me that they will often head down to the pier with the double decker bus to drum up business for a tour, Capture the Spirit tours - the mother of a friend of mine, she will do personalized tours and Trius Tours - may do cruiseline tours but will personalize tours as well.

Port of Charlottetown also has a limousine service that provides personal tours. A group that books with a limousine will save money and see more sites than any tour provided by the ship. With only 8-10 people to load and unload you can be in and out of a lot more destinations for less. www.peilimo.com and book online.

Thank you all for your suggestions but like Nancy I looked up some of the tours and they seem to start @ 1PM or such and we are leaving @ 3. I have not looked up all of them but will do so tomorrow.

Thanks again,

I imagine if you contacted the companies directly they would arrange something for a time that would suit you. Like any port city, these companies make their business from the cruise passengers so I"m sure they would accomodate you.

Keeping in mind that Prince Edward Tours might be the one supplying the cruiseline sponsored tours, if you don't have luck with them, try one of the other three I mentioned. They may be smaller and less flashy but they are Islanders and have been in business for years (in some cases longer then Prince Edward tours), know their product and may provide a more intimate and personalized service.

Keeping in mind that Prince Edward Tours might be the one supplying the cruiseline sponsored tours, if you don't have luck with them, try one of the other three I mentioned. They may be smaller and less flashy but they are Islanders and have been in business for years (in some cases longer then Prince Edward tours), know their product and may provide a more intimate and personalized service.

You are correct. I heard from Prince Edward Tours, and all of their vehicles will be used for ship excursions the day we are in port. I hope RCI will release their shore excursion info soon, so we can decide whether to go with the ship or book something on our own.

Another option for shore excursions is to use the limousine service that will be waiting on the wharf. They will have sedans, stretches and SUV's available on a first come first serve basis. When the costis divided amongst passengers it can be less that what the ship was going to charge you for booking "Their" tours, which , of course, is kick back driven. You can also book online to secure your vehicle, the link is http://www.peilimo.com/cruise_ship.php. You will also get to see much more of the island as you will not be forced to wait for 50+ other passengers to get back on the bus.

Archived