Good grief! Mutiny on the ocean!

bubbie617

I would be willing to represent cruisers in such an action. Of course, my fee would be at least 3 weeks worth of cruises of my choice a year for me and several of my closest friends, in the Royal Suite (Owner's Suites for my friends), including first class airfare and pre and post cruise hotels, again of my choice, plus payment of my bar bill, spa bill, specialty restaurant bill, and excursions (oh, and any other additional fees and surcharges that may be imposed at a later date). I would also require a guarantee that the weather and seas would be 100% perfect for the entire length of the cruises.

STANDARD COMMUNICATION SCRIPT FOR SHIP WIDE ANNOUNCEMENT ON ADVERSE WEATHER

"Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain Speaking. Welcome to the Bucket of the Seas. We are glad to have you on board. As many of you already know because you actually pay attention to what is going on in the world around you; you have chosen to take this cruise during hurricane season. And, wouldn't you know it, we have a Hurricane right in front of us dead ahead! Did you know that the term 'dead ahead' is an old navigational term that means if you proceed ahead in spite of what's there that you will probably be dead? Ha-Ha, just a little Captain's Humor. I'm sure it means something totally different.

Ah, I know what you're thinking. You are worried that I will try to go around this storm and you will miss that favorite port of yours that you really wanted to go to your entire life but were too lazy to go to directly and instead are taking this cruise ship to. Others are worried that I might just turn this ship right around and go right back to that nice safe dock we just left. And, most of you are lamenting the fact that you failed to actually purchase that trip insurance designed especially for cruises during Hurricane Season, even though people asked you several times about buying it.

Well, no need to worry about that. You are sailing on a Royal Hurricane cruise! We aren't one of those wimpy cruiselines. No, we have these megaships, which anyone who fancies themselves a cruise expert knows are not phased by mere Category 5 Hurricanes like this. Nope, don't let this megaliner full of 15,000 passengers that was built in just 5 weeks by simply welding sections together to form nice strait welds fool you. She is strong. Don't believe that old nonsense about staggaring hull plates and welds for added strength. This ship was was built on a computer first by the people that owned it before the people we bought it from, so we know she can take it!

So, your fearless crew and I are going to head this baby directly into this storm and attempt to dock you at each and every port on your itinerary. We made you a promise when you bought this cruise and we are not going to let anything like a little danger stop us from doing that!

We also have a complete set of alternative activities lined-up for this adverse weather. First, we have the Belly-Flop contest out on the bow. Contestants climb up on the bow of the ship and hook their feet on the railing. As they raise their arms, I will dive the ship into a large wave. Whomever is not washed overboard is the winner. Down on the lower decks, we have a slip-in-slide contest for the kids. After a wave blows out the portholes on the front passenger cabins, the hallways will get a fresh coat of saltwater. Each contestant gets five steps then they have to slide. The first one who slides all the way to the aft of the ship wins! The winner gets free arcade games for the remainder of the cruise!

When the ship is about one-third full of seawater, the ships staff and I will be departing on a special escape vessel. Now, don't you worry; you will be in capable hands. All we do is steer this simple ship. We know that there are many of you on board who have either: cruised many times; navigated your own bass boat, or stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night before this cruise! Therefore, you are more imminently qualified to pilot this ship that we are with our years of training and experience. If that doesn't work, we have a list of all the lawyers on board posted at the pursers desk. Since they know it all, you will be safe in their hands.

Again, thank you very much ladies and gentlemen for joining us on this cruise. The Muster Drill begins in 20 minutes. As you know, only other people have go to this. We know that you are too important to be bothered to go through this on your vacation. Thanks again and have a wonderful cruise!"

OMG........ROTFLMAO..............Kudos to you...........well said.......it just goes to show how stupid.......and ridiculous some people are.....

Last yr on our Constellation cruise, the captain decided not to go to costa rica, they were having some kind of civil unrest, protests or something like that. We went to playa del carmen instead. Sure we had some fun stuff booked in CR zipline white water rafting, we were dissapointed , but not to the extent some pass were, one lady demanded to be let off the ship, cursing and yelling at anyone who would listen. ( she made a real a** of herself.If the captain says it's too dangerous thats good enough for me. I for one would like to live to cruise another day. Thank you very much;)

Two late-season typhoons severely disrupted the trip, canceling port calls in Vietnam, at Okinawa and at Taipei, Taiwan.

Unhappy passengers rushed to Internet stations to tell the world.

darn the pesky typhoons...the cruise line should have dont a better job of scheduling:rolleyes:

There you have it people. We now know whom to blame for typhoons, hurricanes, global warming and the ice age that is sure to follow. RCI, Princess, Cunard, etc are all arranging for these horrid weather conditions to ruin your cruise.

Of course, during typhoons and hurricanes they should still be expected to risk the lives of pax and crew to make certain you can go to the port and join those folks in all their agony. Damn the potential loss of life or the grounding/sinking of the ship.

If people are really so stupid as to demand something because of conditions beyond the control of the cruise lines then they have no business being on a cruise. The MOST they should be refunded is port charges and that is it. If a hurricane passes over Mouse House Land, do they expect the Mouse to refund their hotel or park charges because of it. Of course not.

Then you have the medical evac that may cause one to miss a port. I guess some of these folks would rather let a fellow pax die than get the help they need. And I know for a fact that people get upset if that happens because I have witnessed it first hand. A man made a comment wondering what compensation we would get when a little girl was evac-ed off our ship. I replied "your port charges should be refunded." He didn't feel that was enough. I then asked how he would have felt hearing his comment made by someone else if it had been one of his kids. Our conversation was then over.

The cruise lines need to stop giving in to these people when the matter is not in their power to control.

IMHO, these folks have done nothing but make themselves look foolish and greedy. *Me* generation my foot; ignorant is more like it.

A-a-a-a-men!!! I couldn't agree more.

OMG........ROTFLMAO..............Kudos to you...........well said.......it just goes to show how stupid.......and ridiculous some people are.....

Last yr on our Constellation cruise, the captain decided not to go to costa rica, they were having some kind of civil unrest, protests or something like that. We went to playa del carmen instead. Sure we had some fun stuff booked in CR zipline white water rafting, we were dissapointed , but not to the extent some pass were, one lady demanded to be let off the ship, cursing and yelling at anyone who would listen. ( she made a real a** of herself.If the captain says it's too dangerous thats good enough for me. I for one would like to live to cruise another day. Thank you very much;)

Think the captain should have put her off at the next port and had her make her own way home at her own expense.

I do have to say that Princess is not good with their communications. We learned that we were going to be at sea a full day before Princess announced it onboard. I went to the port websites and saw that they were closed because of damage and after having the pursers deny any trouble, I checked the Princess website that was informing new boarding passengers that their cruise would start two days late and at a different port. We told a few passengers that we met along the way. The ship even took our luggage up for disembarkation and then had to hand it back out. We ended up without luggage for one whole day. That was not fun and could have been prevented.

Maybe Princess should read Captain Johnny's book on how he handled Adventurer during hurricanes. he was very proactive about communicating what was happening to the passengers. He held briefing sessions in the theater and calmed down some pretty angrey folks.

As to the article, I really think the passenger barging into the bridge with google maps really was the limit. Can't believe someone is so arrogant as to think he knows more than the Captain and crew on navigation especially with the up to the minute satellite info. on the bridge.

Wow, I haven't heard anything about the so called mutiny on Sapphire Princess. I can't beleive how people act. Safety is first, and I would be happy to miss a port to be safe, but some people just want, want, want.

All of these people cruising, the increase of cruising, and so on, sometimes I think that now people are going to go on a cruise to look for the negatives, or to loook for something wrong, so they can make a scene, rebell, and get a refund, or some sort of compensation.

I think it is all ridiculus. Now I know, cruising will never ever be the same, like it used to, and all we have to blame is ourselves.

2 words "Travel Insurance"

I have only cruised once but this seems simple enough

Miss port because of god: You deal

Miss port because of cruise line (ie ship breaks down ect) you get some compensation

Cruise during hurrcane season: Get insurance (unless you live in fl and get on the ship to leave the hurricanes LOL)

Why do some people not understand that? Maybe it should be printed in the booklets with your tickets.

2 words "Travel Insurance"

I have only cruised once but this seems simple enough

Miss port because of god: You deal

Miss port because of cruise line (ie ship breaks down ect) you get some compensation

Cruise during hurrcane season: Get insurance (unless you live in fl and get on the ship to leave the hurricanes LOL)

Why do some people not understand that? Maybe it should be printed in the booklets with your tickets.

Aren't hurricanes "acts of G-d"? Actually, cruise lines have figured out how to keep passengers happy. They've installed dart boards on the bridge with circles for "land" and "not land". At the first sign of bad weather, the captain throws a dart and makes his decision. If the passengers don't like it, they can sue the dart board.

Archived