Alaska with Kids - help me choose which ship

travelingirl70

We are thinking of booking a cruise to Alaska this summer. We've sailed Disney and Carnival in the past. My kids 12 and 9 LOVE Carnival, but my husband and I want to try something new. I'm leaning towards NCL on the Pearl becuase Freestyle sounds very appealing to us.

A little about our preferences:

Like Freestyle - we get frustrated being tied down to dining room times, escpecially with an itinerary like Alaska.

Hate formal nights. Just a personal preference - we get dressed up for work and charity events often, so the idea of doing it again on vacation just doesn't appeal to us.

Kids love FUN kids stuff. Interestingly, the loved Camp Carnival but hated the kids club on the Disney Cruise. Things like the late night party, ice cream contest, etc., are a huge hit.

Our ideal setting is laid back, yet upscale all at the same time. We don't like stuffy, formal settings - but we like nice things. We're willing to pay extra for a nice experience. In other words, I am not looking to break the bank, but I am not on a tight budget either. So, we are willing to pay more for a nice cruise experience.

Just curious - which ship/line would you recommend and why?

Rhapsody of the Seas, May 30, 2008. Why? Because we are going! My DD is 10 :)

We love Royal Caribbean for all the fun activities for kids and adults alike. We had thought of the NCL Pearl for freestyle, but as appealing as that was, we really like having an abundance of activities (Can you say "rock-climbing wall"?). We can head to the Windjammer if we don't want the dining room. My DD loves the Late Night Party Zone on RC. I like the fun, yet upscale atmosphere. I like that I can go from a wine tasting to poolside activities.

Whatever you choose, let us know. And have a great cruise!

I might can help. I don't think you can go wrong with either the NCL Pearl or Carnival Spirit which is Carnival's only ship in Alaska. We traveled to Alaska on the Pearl in May and had a wonderful time. It was me, my husband and our adult son (he graduated from university this year and we considered it our last family vacation of sorts). We chose the Pearl mainly because it did a Seattle R/T and because of Freestyle. We're not really dress up kind of people either.

Having said that, I did at times feel that freestyle was a little too casual. For instance, warm up suits in the specialty restaurants (there were signs indicating jeans and warm ups were not allowed, but it wasn't enforced). A small thing, but heck we were on a cruise and wanted dinner in the specialty restaurants to feel special. In fact, a lot of people just plain out dressed like slobs. The Pearl does a great itinerary with Glacier Bay included. I cannot vouch for the kids programs as we didn't have any small children with us.

We liked Alaska so much that we're now booked on Carnival Spirit for next June. Why Carnival? It has a lot to do with the fact that we'll be traveling this time with my sister's family including her 12 yo DD. We've heard so many great things about Carnival's kids programs and we want her to have a great time. Also, we wanted to do a different itinerary than last time. I believe Carnival Spirit's one way northbound and southbound itineraries are excellent-- looking at length of time in ports and also it stops in Sitka-a lot of lines don't go there. Also, I keep hearing about how great the food is on Carnival.

If you decide on a line other than NCL, you don't have to be obligated to dress up on formal nights. Your family can eat at the buffet on those evenings. I think either the Pearl or Spirit would be suitable for your family. BTW, the Pearl also has a rock climbing wall. Also, if you like Carnival ships and their decor; the Pearl might be a let down. She doesn't have an atrium and the decor is toned down, although extremely classy and very pretty.

We are so excited to try Carnival and I'm almost more excited about this trip than any other. However, I would cruise on the Pearl again in a split second:) Either way, you'll fall in love with Alaska.

the dresss on Alaska cruises is decidedly more casual on all the lines. That is to say that most you can sail the same ship to a different itinerary and you will see a change in the wardrobe. Alaska tends to attract the more rustic types. I wore sweats all the time- except for dinner where I dressed a bit more appropriately.

There are casual options on all cruise ships now. In fact, I sailed Princess (usually a formal line) and ate dinner quite happily at night in the buffet with plenty of other people that didn't feel like dressing up.

As for the two lines. I have sailed twice on NCL to Alaska and loved it! In fact, my friends got hooked on cruising and have done three more on NCL since.

I have also sailed on Princess twice and was great.

I don't think it really matters which ship you choose for kids. NCL had a great youth program- better than Carnival (from my experience on Victory). They also have the arcade and great pools for kids- waterslide, etc.

I would choose the cruise that has the cheapest balcony stateroom (s). Because Alaska is best from the comfort of your balcony. It is the only cruise (besides Norwegian Fiords) where I think you MUST have a balcony. So nice to sit out there in your robe.

I would choose the cruise that has the cheapest balcony stateroom (s). Because Alaska is best from the comfort of your balcony. It is the only cruise (besides Norwegian Fiords) where I think you MUST have a balcony. So nice to sit out there in your robe.

I agree with this. I have seen that suggestion many times before on the boards...when cruising in Alaska a balcony is a must. :)

Which ship has an enclosed pool? Does the Pearl or the Spirit?

The Rapsody of the Seas does. It's enclosed Adult Solarium allows for certain times that kids are allowed to use it.

I think it's pretty simple, if Freestyle is important to you then go with the Pearl. If on board activities are important, then RCCL. As far as kids activities, my kids love both Camp Carnival and RCCL Adventure Ocean (they didn't like NCL for some reason). But honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

The enclosed pool suggestion is awesome. That is one reason we chose the Rhapsody. It is my understanding they will designate times for kids and families to enjoy that enclosed area on the Alaska sailings (sliding glass roof, but they keep it closed for the Alaska sailings).

I think next season will be Rhapsody's first time in Alaska. Radiance has been in Alaska for years and IMHO, her one way sailings are superior. There is much more scenery because you're traveling a longer distance.

On an Alaskan cruise, I don't think you'll see too many people utilizing the pools very much, open or enclosed. Either way the weather is just not condusive to playing in water. Even if the pool is enclosed like on RCI, there is still the matter of walking over open decks in icy cold temps while wearing wet swimsuits. BRRRRR! I just thought you should know that before you go so you won't be too disappointed if the kids don't really get to swim a great deal.

I do have to say whichever ship you choose, you'll have a fantastic time. There is really no way to go wrong!:)

In Alaska- on Norwegian the pools are heated to 98 degress and the hot tubs are at least 100 degrees. So swimming outside is not only possible- it is great.

It isn't as cold in Alaska as people imagine. It is sweater weather and sunny. Some days you can wear shorts.

In Alaska- on Norwegian the pools are heated to 98 degress and the hot tubs are at least 100 degrees. So swimming outside is not only possible- it is great.

It isn't as cold in Alaska as people imagine. It is sweater weather and sunny. Some days you can wear shorts.

True, the pools on NCL are heated. However, we saw very few people use the pool or hot tubs-it was mostly kids who did. They're a lot braver than me. True it can be warm and sunny, but the weather changes rapidly. I took several pairs of shorts and never got to wear them the entire cruise. What I'm saying is people should be prepared for any kind of weather (including extreme cold). I thought we were blessed with good weather for our cruise, but it was far from "warm". It's cold at night and during glacier viewing. It rained in Ketchikan-all day. Take lots of lightweight layers.

I was looking at the NCL Pearl for Alaska as well. It was priced well, allows for 2 year olds in their children's program, and I like the idea of Freestyle. The one thing I didn't like is that the time in the ports are so short. I think in some ports they don't arrive until mid afternoon. That may be ok in early summer when it stays light late, but in the late summer you would only have 3 hours of sunlight. Not too appealing to me. For that reason, I will probably put off Alaska until next year and either go NCL earlier in the summer or take Princess which leaves from San Francisco.

I think next season will be Rhapsody's first time in Alaska. Radiance has been in Alaska for years and IMHO, her one way sailings are superior. There is much more scenery because you're traveling a longer distance.
Rhapsody has been to Alaska before, it's just been a few years.

On an Alaskan cruise, I don't think you'll see too many people utilizing the pools very much, open or enclosed. Either way the weather is just not condusive to playing in water. Even if the pool is enclosed like on RCI, there is still the matter of walking over open decks in icy cold temps while wearing wet swimsuits. BRRRRR! I just thought you should know that before you go so you won't be too disappointed if the kids don't really get to swim a great deal.

On RCCL, at least, you do not have to walk outside to get from the Solarium pool to the rest of the ship. There is a set of elevators right next to the Solarium pool area. And when our cruise out of Galveston on Rhapsody had extremely cold weather (temps in the 30s at sail away), the Solarium was still perfect for swimming and relaxing in the hot tub.

I have watched that show on the Travel Channel about Radiance of the Seas in Alaska. In fact, I have it Tivo'ed. I've always wanted to go to Alaska on that ship. The ship looks to be absolutely beautiful with a friendly, warm crew. The solarium pool area looks very impressive to me as well. I've been so tempted so many times to book it. In fact, I've played with the idea of canceling our upcoming Carnival Spirit cruise and booking Radiance.

I can't bring myself to do it though. We had a bad experience on RCI many years ago. Our son who was 7 yo at the time (he is 23 now) was dropped off at the kids club place (can't remember what it was called) and we thought things were safe and supervised. An hour or so later, my husband and I are walking through the ship and we see our son enter an elevator ALL ALONE! We immediately ran after him and it took some tracking to hunt him down. Turns out he walked out of the tee shirt painting class and set out to find us. They never even knew he was gone. In fact, the counselors seemed very unconcerned and acted like we were in the wrong for being upset.

I know it was a long time ago, but I doubt I'll ever be able to cruise RCI again. I know, it could have happened on any line, but it didn't. I also know others won't cruise other lines because of similar things happening to them. You just never know how you'll respond until it happens to you.

I do have to say whichever ship you choose, you'll have a fantastic time. There is really no way to go wrong!:)

From what I've read, the Rhapsody did Alaska sailings in Alaska back in the late 1990s.

I would love to someday do the one-way Alaska cruise on the Radiance (or Radiance class ship). For us, the Seattle round-trip suits our needs this time around. This way we will get a taste of an Alaska cruise without having to incur extra expenses involved with flying to/from two expensive locations this time around. Also this way we can save a bit of vacation time and money for our true dream cruise: Norwegian Fjords in 2011 for our 5th anniversary ;)

True, the pools on NCL are heated. However, we saw very few people use the pool or hot tubs-it was mostly kids who did. They're a lot braver than me. True it can be warm and sunny, but the weather changes rapidly. I took several pairs of shorts and never got to wear them the entire cruise. What I'm saying is people should be prepared for any kind of weather (including extreme cold). I thought we were blessed with good weather for our cruise, but it was far from "warm". It's cold at night and during glacier viewing. It rained in Ketchikan-all day. Take lots of lightweight layers.

I have sailed to Alaska four times (early June, early May, late May and early July) and used the pool and hot tub on every sailing and I hate swimming in the pool in summer! I am not a pool person unless it is heated. In any event- I was glad that people were staring at me in their coats. I was warm and comfortable and they thought I was crazy. Not so- it is great being the hot tub while sailing by glaciers and very comfortable. Just be glad others don't know this secret. You do have the hot tubs all to yourself.

I swam in the heated pool on Norwegian Sky every single day and I was seven months pregnant. I must admit, that during my pregnancy I wanted to swim all the time- it took the pressure off my back. And that baby (now 7) loves to swim!

Thanks for all the replies. I am sure I can't go wrong with my decision, but it seems like each one in the family would have a slightly different preference. My kids would sail Carnival every day of the year if they could. DH and I like the idea of trying "freestyle" but would probably choose Royal if it were up to us. My parents want to come along now and my mother, self-proclaimed cruise connoisseur after ONE cruise to Alaska on NCL, will only sail on NCL. So I think NCL is probably a good compromise for us. Even if my kids don't love the kids camp on NCL, I am sure they will meet up with other kids their age (since it will be early August) and that works just as well.

As far as a cabin is concerned, I've long been a balcony snob - generally getting 2 connecting balcony cabins to give us more space. I'm actually considering going up a notch and indulging on a suite. If we went on the Pearl, the Courtyard Villa would seem to be perfect. I know I would be in heaven! Just trying to decide if it is really worth the extra $$$$. I'm also not sure how much time I would actually spend in the Courtyard since I will probably park myself on my balcony to take in the beautiful sights. BTW, I believe the Courtyard does have a retractable roof making that even more appealing. Oh, the choices!

Keep the ideas coming. I'm not locked into anything, especially until my parents decide for sure if they are coming or not. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I think you're already sold on NCL Pearl.

We did NCL Pearl to Alaska this past June. I think the ship is beautiful - nicer and classier than how it appears on photos I'd say. Our kids thoroughly enjoyed the Kids Club - they're much younger than yours though. We also loved the Penthouse Suite. The bathroom is just unbelievable. I spotted whales on the way to Juneau from the bath tub. The fact the kids would sleep in an interior room is also good for Alaska. In June, it gets bright around 4 AM and doesn't get dark until 11 PM.

Food was great but we kind of missed traditional dining, but if you think you'd like freestyle, you'll be happy. If you go courtyard, the concierge would be able to get you reserved for the whole week at the beginning of the cruise so it's less hassle than if you go w/ 2 balconies.

Service wasn't as good as Celebrity - that was our main gripe.

As for the pool, it was nice and warm. Plenty of kids were using the slides as well.

We did Princess in Alaska this past June with our 2 DS (9 and 8). We had a blast. The Coral did have a covered pool, which was cool-very neat sitting int he hottub watching glaciers go by. The kids really enjoyed the kids camp. I liked that fact that they also did enrichment activities with them, like when we were in glacier bay a ranger went to the camp and did a whole jr. ranger program with them. Many of their activities were also geared with the ports, like making totem poles after departing Ketchikan.

I have watched that show on the Travel Channel about Radiance of the Seas in Alaska. In fact, I have it Tivo'ed. I've always wanted to go to Alaska on that ship.

Taking Radiance this summer to Alaska with kids aged 15 and 13. This will be our 5th cruise on RCCL and 3rd on a Radiance class ship. They aren't quite as interested in Adventure Ocean these days but have always met great kids on board RCCL ships.

While RCCL doesn't have free style, several dining options exist outside the main room on Radiance. It may be a bit pricey to dine in Chops or Portofinos, but I have heard of passengers that do this. You can also eat in the Windjammer or catch Seaview in the afternoon/late night for burgers and snacks.

I would look at Princess too, they also have flexible dining like NCL, or you can opt for traditional seating if that's your preference because the offer both (except on Tahitian, Pacific and Royal Princess). I know zippo about their kids' program, but we really enjoyed both of our Alaska cruises on Princess and are considering a cruise tour of some sort with them.

Thanks everyone, for the replies and suggestions. I thought I would report back and tell you what we have planned. Through a variety of circumstances, we wound up with 3 trips booked for 2008, so we decided to push our Alaska cruise back to 2009. My parents have decided to join us and my mother has declared she will ONLY sail NCL with the freestyle dining. Trust me, with my mother - this is a concession worth making! I'm totally happy with trying NCL, anyway. And, by waiting until 2009, my kids will be 13 and 10 meaning they will each move up a group in the kids club - which will probably work better for them too. Plus, the 2009 cruises haven't come out yet, so we may be able to save some $$ by booking early.

As it turns out, one of our vacations in 2008 will be a NYE cruise on Carnival - so my kids will get their Carnival fix. Maybe someday I'll get my chance to sail on RCCL. But, right now I'm eyeing those Courtyard Villas on NCL. I could be very happy there!

Thanks for everyone's help!

We are booked in a Courtyard Villa on Pearl Alaska itinerary this August with our 2 kids (almost 4 and almost 7). NCL really is a perfect line for family cruising. We specifically booked the Courtyard Villa so the kids could swim. Otherwise we might have chosen AB.

Archived