Palmer / Talkeetna Accomodations?

JaneyCy

I posted a ? about Knik River Lodge, but haven't gotten any feed back on them. I'm a little concerned they are too far off our route.

We're planning to explore Hatcher's Pass, Talkeetna area for a couple days then head back to Anchorage/ Wasilla to catch a SB cruise.

I'm also looking at the Hatcher Pass Bed and Breakfast or Alaska Birch Cottages.

Anyone stayed at these places? Or have any other suggestions?

I'm trying to find space for a family that allows at least 1 + 1/2 bath that's not too costly. For cabins that's hard to do without renting 2.

Thanks!

JaneyCy

I posted a ? about Knik River Lodge, but haven't gotten any feed back on them. I'm a little concerned they are too far off our route.

We're planning to explore Hatcher's Pass, Talkeetna area for a couple days then head back to Anchorage/ Wasilla to catch a SB cruise.

I'm also looking at the Hatcher Pass Bed and Breakfast or Alaska Birch Cottages.

Anyone stayed at these places? Or have any other suggestions?

I'm trying to find space for a family that allows at least 1 + 1/2 bath that's not too costly. For cabins that's hard to do without renting 2.

Thanks!

JaneyCy

I checked on tripadvisor and all the places you are looking at have great reviews.

Reviews of Hatcher Pass Bread and Breakfast:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g31086-d611958-Reviews-Hatcher_Pass_Bed_Breakfast-Palmer_Alaska.html

Reviews of Alaska Birch Cottages:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g31086-d729800-Reviews-Alaska_Birch_Cottages-Palmer_Alaska.html

Reviews of Knik River Lodge:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g31086-d655774-Reviews-Knik_River_Lodge-Palmer_Alaska.html

Thanks!

You'd think I would take comfort in them all having good reviews, but I think it's making it harder to decide! From reading all the great advice on this board, I've convinced my husband that the independent land tour is the way to go.

Now I feel a little pressure to make sure we make the right choices. I'm trying to get family input as much as possible so that these choices in the end are "ours" not just mine, so that should help.

I think I'm leaning toward the Birch Cottages with central local and good combo of all our requirements.

Unfortunately they only have one review on Tripadvisor, so I'm hoping more people have stayed and liked it?

Now I feel a little pressure to make sure we make the right choices. I'm trying to get family input as much as possible so that these choices in the end are "ours" not just mine, so that should help.

I like your approach, and totally understand feeling that pressure, but it's unfair to you. You could make all of the "right" choices and something beyond your control & totally unforeseeable can still happen to impact our time.

I'm sure your best planning effort will be just fine.

Keep in mind that the wonder and excitement of Alaska can be incredible and will help make people ignore / forget whatever little logistical glitches may come up along the way.

I stayed in the Best Western in Wasilla when I was working in Palmer, it was beautiful and on a lake, with the mountains in the background.:D

An excellent recommendation. That is one of the nicest places in the Palmer/Wasilla area. Wife and I go there often for the Shoreline Restaurant which serves great meals.

This isn't exactly what you are asking for, but check out Sheep Mountain Lodge. It is half way between Anchorage and Valdez. We have stayed there many times and love the people, love the new cabins, love the price. There is great hiking in the area. This last trip the kids rafted about 10 miles down the road from here and it was one of their best rafting trip. It is at mile marker 113 I think. I don't remember what mile marker Palmer is to give you perspective.

Sheep Mountain is owned by one of the top mushers and so you can see his kennels they are very friendly and will talk about that. There is also a restaurant with a hot spot just up the road from here that also had excellent food. Food at Sheep Mountain is almost gourmet and they try and grow many of their own herbs and vegetables.

I don't think that this place is listed in any of the travel books and if it wasn't for the fact that I had been to the area so many times that I would have even heard of it.

Janice

This isn't exactly what you are asking for, but check out Sheep Mountain Lodge. It is half way between Anchorage and Valdez. We have stayed there many times and love the people, love the new cabins, love the price. There is great hiking in the area. This last trip the kids rafted about 10 miles down the road from here and it was one of their best rafting trip. It is at mile marker 113 I think. I don't remember what mile marker Palmer is to give you perspective.

Sheep Mountain is owned by one of the top mushers and so you can see his kennels they are very friendly and will talk about that. There is also a restaurant with a hot spot just up the road from here that also had excellent food. Food at Sheep Mountain is almost gourmet and they try and grow many of their own herbs and vegetables.

I don't think that this place is listed in any of the travel books and if it wasn't for the fact that I had been to the area so many times that I would have even heard of it.

Janice

I read about Sheep Mountain Lodge in Frommer's Alaska - so the word is out! We stopped there for lunch on our way from Anchorage to Chitina, and I agree that the food is very good.

Thanks all for the suggestions and encouragement!

The places you've all mentioned were on my list of possibilities until I eliminated them for one reason or another to arrive at my short list.

The Best Western is definitely a good back up. Really looks like a nice area. When traveling we like to get adjoining rooms. Unfortunately I've found most hotels will not guarantee this so you end up checking in and don't have your adjoining rooms so I'm trying to avoid hotels if possible. Would definitely consider it if it were just the two of us traveling.

I debated back and forth about the Sheep Mountain Lodge, but for the same reason figured we'd have to settle for one bath or rent two cabins. If we can we should try to at least eat there from what I keep hearing.

Thanks also for the rafting, etc info. I'm making a list of just those types of kid friendly activities!

In Anchorage we plan to stay in the Homewood Suites or Residence Inn since they have a good family set up with 2 separate bedrooms/bathrooms. Separate space is not a necessity, but I've just found it makes for more harmonious family travel:)

In Seward we're hoping to stay in the Cottage By the Sea - nice area and good for family stay. If traveling without kids we would have gone with Holiday Inn Express, but too expensive otherwise!

I hope to have our basic itinerary done soon and will post it to see how realistic it is. Hard to choose what great activities to save for a later trip!

Archived