Wireless on Century

betsyter

The wireless is charged the same as if you used the ship's computers. Finding hot spots is difficult at best, and I've never been able to connect in my cabin. Download times are terribly slow, and if you're using the internet, it can take more than 2 minutes to download one page.

The wireless is charged the same as if you used the ship's computers. Finding hot spots is difficult at best, and I've never been able to connect in my cabin. Download times are terribly slow, and if you're using the internet, it can take more than 2 minutes to download one page.

Century does have wireless access in every cabin but is still slow as molasses!

Be careful of that CrackBerry. I used mine on Summit to check emails, and racked up a bill of over $600. They charged me access fees, roaming fees and a per minute fee. It could cost you more than $7 a minute depending on your location.

ECCruise, I've never gotten a stable connection on any wireless system on any Celebrity ship in a cabin. Lots of disconnects and lots of not able to connect to the system.

Be careful of that CrackBerry. I used mine on Summit to check emails, and racked up a bill of over $600. They charged me access fees, roaming fees and a per minute fee. It could cost you more than $7 a minute depending on your location.

ECCruise, I've never gotten a stable connection on any wireless system on any Celebrity ship in a cabin. Lots of disconnects and lots of not able to connect to the system.

My daughter wants a side kick (T mobile). It sounds like I would need to take it from her while on the cruise. The roaming fee is around $7.00 per minute? Who were the various charges from, your provider or the ships?

Have you been on Century since the refurb? 100% of the passenger areas of the ship are wireless ready. No problem with connecting in any cabin. Century is, however, the only ship that this is available as of now.

Have you been on Century since the refurb? 100% of the passenger areas of the ship are wireless ready. No problem with connecting in any cabin. Century is, however, the only ship that this is available as of now.

I have to agree with this. I sailed on the Century in Sept and had no problems with the wireless in my cabin. It worked like basic dial up.

As for the Blackberry, check your provider. I'm with Verizon and they offer a $60 dollar a month unlimited international data package for the Blackberry. I have the 8830 World Edition Blackberry, so I don't know if this is offered for all Blackberrys or not.

Yes, you probably would need to take away that Sidekick as your child could rack up huge charges with IM's. As for the package of data transfers, that's all well and good, but you're still going to be charged access fees from Celebrity's Satellite at Sea program if you use it at sea. That's where the charges get heavy. You won't be paying for the actual data transfer, but there could still be roaming fees and fees to access Celebrity's satellites.

Celebrity is part of AT&T's wireless at sea. If you have AT&T check out this link:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp?WT.svl=calltoaction

AT&T will allow you to add coverage for a one month period. I use Treo 750 and it has worked on other cruise lines and since Celebrity is part of this program, it should be no different.

Bettie

Archived