Questions - Voyager 12/23 - Galveston

peabodyqp

We will be sailing on the Voyager cruise which leaves from Galveston on Sunday December 23. I have several questions for more experienced cruisers.

1. Ship leaves at 5:00, but boarding begins at 1:00 pm. What time should we arrive. There are 5 in our party and I currently taking chemo for cancer. I'm concerned about standing in line for an hour or more.

2. I noticed there is a library on board. Are the books current? Can you take them out of library say to the pool or your room?

3. Where is the best place to park your vehicle?

4. Can you ask the cabin steward to empty the refrigerator and if yes, can you put your own items inside?

5. Are you permitted to bring any personal bottled water on board with you?

Thank you so much. I'm looking forward to this vacation and the relaxation it will bring.

We will be sailing on the Voyager cruise which leaves from Galveston on Sunday December 23. I have several questions for more experienced cruisers.

1. Ship leaves at 5:00, but boarding begins at 1:00 pm. What time should we arrive. There are 5 in our party and I currently taking chemo for cancer. I'm concerned about standing in line for an hour or more.

We usually arrive around noon, and are usually on board within 30 minutes. Make sure you have checked in on-line and have your printed set sail pass with you. That will save some time. Also, there is usually a RCCL representative that is on station, as soon as you walk into the check in area, they will be directing folks where to go. Tell them about your chemo, and they will probably assist you. (BTW, you probably should have some sort of letter from your doctor approving your going on this cruise)

2. I noticed there is a library on board. Are the books current? Can you take them out of library say to the pool or your room?

Books won't be on the NYT best sellers list, if that is what you mean. Yes you can check them out and take them to your cabin or where you wish. Book checkout is on the honor system and you just write them down in a notebook on the desk in the library.

3. Where is the best place to park your vehicle?

Either EZ Cruise parking or Port of Galveston parking.

Both have websites on-line where you can make reservations, and save $5.00 by prepaying. When you park in any lot, try not to park in low lying areas, Galveston can get some torrential downpours and some of the lots have been known to flood during heavy rains. It probably won't be a problem in December.

4. Can you ask the cabin steward to empty the refrigerator and if yes, can you put your own items inside?

Yes

5. Are you permitted to bring any personal bottled water on board with you?

The official policy says "No", but I have not heard of anyone having problems with water. The water on-board, directly from the faucet is fine to drink. It is RO water and is perfectly fine. There will also be bottled water in your cabin, but it is not free.

Thank you so much. I'm looking forward to this vacation and the relaxation it will bring.

If you have any more questions, ask away. We have sailed from galveston twice in the past, and March will find us on the Voyager.

EDIT: If you are staying overnight before the cruise at a Galveston hotel, you may be able to leave your car at the hotel. We never have done this, as the hotel lots are open to all sorts of traffic, and not monitored closely. The Port of Galveston lots are supposed to be secure and monitored by local police.

Hypo

I agree with getting there early if you can. On Princess and Carnival out of Galveston, they usually start letting people through security to check in at 11 or 11:30. Once you check in, there are 3 seating sections (accommodating a few hundred people). They will tell you which section to sit in and start taking people on board by section. I agree with telling them about the chemo therapy you are going through and they should (hopefully) take you to a specific section to check in where you won't have to stand for too long.

EZcruise parking is a breeze if you need to park your car. You simply drive up to the lot (reservations are taken on their website), there is a tent in the middle of the lot and a shuttle picks you up at the tent and takes you and your luggage right to the terminal. Have a great time.

Archived