How Many Days Before Cruise Do You Pack?

kiraryker

I am so conditioned for packing. Cruise #8 is 2 weeks away. I started checking in the closet for slacks and skirts and found that I already have everything for the cruise neatly lined up in my closet. I won't actually pack until the night before - I need to make sure I don't forget anything. I made a few last minute purchases yesterday: a shawl for formal night, some travel size hair gel and a small bottle of perfume, again travel size. I took hubby's Hawaiian shirts to the cleaners last month and rented a tux for him on line two days ago. I know where the passports are. I need to hunt for the snorkel equipment and sea shoes. Yep, we're pretty much ready! Just a warning for everyone with a cruise coming up - don't forget to pack your medications! I learned the hard way - had to phone my doc before we left port on a Sunday - she faxed a prescription to the ship on monday - I only went 1 day without my blood pressure meds.

Hi--you can buy bottled water in the airport after you go through security; they will not allow you to take any liquid through security. About books: cruise ships have libraries on an honor system; maybe you can find a good book? Just for curiosity (as an English teacher), what are you reading on your cruise?

I just started today packing for my first cruise which leaves on 1/19/08. I've been accumulating a "must pack" list for several months, adding things as I read the tips on the boards, but I finally decided it was time to put the plan into action. And thank goodness I did, because I realized that we could not fit everything (for DH and I) in the one suitcase and garment bag as planned. I have a bigger suitcase, but I'm afraid to use it with the weight restrictions. The solution we came up with is that DH will take a duffel bag as his carry on in which we'll put bathingsuits, some of his shorts, snorkel equipment, etc. My carry on includes reading material (I' an English teacher, and I am having difficulty narrowing it down to 4 books. Of course if DH brings books I want to read, I can always grab his! :D ) meds, sunglasses, etc. Will the airline let me bring on bottled water? Can I purchase it in the airport after passing through security? Also, is there any reason to need sneakers on a 7 day carribbean cruise? I'm bringing crocs, water shoes that are a bit like sneakers, casual sandels, and dressy sandels. We will be doing a great deal of walking, but I don't intend to visit the gym. This is the only problem with packing in advance; there's too much time to second guess packing decisions.

Hi--you can buy bottled water in the airport after you go through security; they will not allow you to take any liquid through security. About books: cruise ships have libraries on an honor system; maybe you can find a good book? Just for curiosity (as an English teacher), what are you reading on your cruise?

I am bringing A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, The Rule of Four (Not sure about the author; a coworker loaned me the book), a new Nora Roberts (purely brain candy :D ), a cheesy Mary Higgins Clark/Carol Higgins Clark holiday mystery that my husband stuck in my Christmas stocking, and possible Othello, as I'm teaching it next semester for the first time, and I haven't read it since high school. Do you have any good recommendations? What grades do you teach? This year I have a 10H class, a college essay writing elective, and the rest are senior classes.

Thanks for the tip about the bottled water!

Michelle

Normally, I start about a week before; on our last trip (we left the day after Christmas) I packed 2 days before. I was so crazy with the last minute Christmas stuff that I felt a little rushed and didn't bring some of the items that I would have liked to have. Oh well, live and learn. I'm back to 1 week before.

I am bringing A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, The Rule of Four (Not sure about the author; a coworker loaned me the book), a new Nora Roberts (purely brain candy :D ), a cheesy Mary Higgins Clark/Carol Higgins Clark holiday mystery that my husband stuck in my Christmas stocking, and possible Othello, as I'm teaching it next semester for the first time, and I haven't read it since high school. Do you have any good recommendations? What grades do you teach? This year I have a 10H class, a college essay writing elective, and the rest are senior classes.

Michelle

Hi Michelle, I'm an English teacher as well, and have cruised for the past 26 years. Just my advice--don't plan on reading all of your books on your cruise. You'll enjoy the lightweight "Santa Cruise," and you'll probably want to donate that one to the ship's library when you're finished. You won't get to "Othello"--you'll want to concentrate on the passages, and, if you're like me, you'll want to think about how to plan your lessons while you're reading. Take my advice--leave it at home. You're on a vacation and you'll have that "Othello" nagging you each time you see it. If you run out of reading material, (which I doubt) your ship will have some paperbacks to purchase and you can take books out of the library, which was mentioned before.

Enjoy your trip!

Kathy

Michelle,

Good advice from Kathy, although I've never cruised. You WILL want a book for the airplane, I'm sure. I don't think I'd take Shakespeare; you'll be tempted to work instead of playing.

I teach a World Lit Honors class to seniors, AP English Literature (this year), AP Language (every other year), Career Explorations, a college Basic English class at the community college, and--I'm the guidance counselor (small Christian school, where everybody doubles up).

I don't know what I would recommend for cruise reading, but have you read "How the Irish Saved Civilization"? Fascinating--I frankly have low taste in fiction (mostly murder mysteries, British) but occasionally find a gem.

Where are you going on your cruise? Ours leaves Feb. 3 for 12 nights in the Eastern Caribbean--three weeks from today!

Lou-Ann

We are going on our first cruise at the end of Feb. I took out 1 suitcase in October. :eek: I just didn't want to pack away my summer items to have to sort through them again in Feb. As it turns out, I have lost 40 pounds and nothing fits me! :rolleyes: So much for my planning.....

Hi Michelle, I'm an English teacher as well, and have cruised for the past 26 years. Just my advice--don't plan on reading all of your books on your cruise. You'll enjoy the lightweight "Santa Cruise," and you'll probably want to donate that one to the ship's library when you're finished. You won't get to "Othello"--you'll want to concentrate on the passages, and, if you're like me, you'll want to think about how to plan your lessons while you're reading. Take my advice--leave it at home. You're on a vacation and you'll have that "Othello" nagging you each time you see it. If you run out of reading material, (which I doubt) your ship will have some paperbacks to purchase and you can take books out of the library, which was mentioned before.

Enjoy your trip!

Kathy

Thanks, Kathy, for the tips. I'm a fast reader; I read Janet Evanovich's series #s 4-8 on my honeymoon just out by the pool each day and on the plane. I just can't completely shut my brain down while sun bathing. But I think you're right that taking Othello could cause me not to relax. And since I'm bringing a couple of movies on my iPod for the plane, I definitely should have enough. What do you teach?

Michelle

This year I'm teaching AP English Language, Junior English Honors, and Semantics and Logic.

I'm really hooked on Randy Wayne White's Doc Ford mystery series. Since they're set in Florida (and I live not too far away from the settings of his novels) I really enjoy the familiar feel of them. I've also had the pleasure of meeting him at one of his book signings, and he was extremely articulate and entertaining.

I also enjoy Carl Hiassen's novels. His books are darker and edgier than White's, but I like them all.

On my cruise to the Caribbean in April I'll bring White's latest novel and my ipod that has a couple of audiobooks on it.

Kathy

This year I'm teaching AP English Language, Junior English Honors, and Semantics and Logic.

I'm really hooked on Randy Wayne White's Doc Ford mystery series. Since they're set in Florida (and I live not too far away from the settings of his novels) I really enjoy the familiar feel of them. I've also had the pleasure of meeting him at one of his book signings, and he was extremely articulate and entertaining.

I'll have to read these! Where do the Doc Ford mystery books take place? I'm on the Space Coast.

I love the Evanovich books because I used to live very close to "The Burg" and I know all the Restaurants, Malls and streets that she mentions. It's like going home :)

I've actually been planning some of my reading around the cruise;)

I usually pack 2 days before a cruise, but this time I started one week ago. We're sailing on 1/16/08 and everything was packed by Sunday night. Before the actual packing process begins, I set aside items according to day wear,night wear, beach and workout and then go from there. My weakness is to pack too many shoes and tops! :)

I usually pack 2 days before a cruise, but this time I started one week ago. We're sailing on 1/16/08 and everything was packed by Sunday night. Before the actual packing process begins, I set aside items according to day wear,night wear, beach and workout and then go from there. My weakness is to pack too many shoes and tops! :)

Ahh....a cruiser after my own heart! Me too! :rolleyes: Last 7 day cruise I had 28 tops!!!!:eek: I actually DID wear most of them too.

Leaving Sunday and I just finished packing! Me, too - too many tops and shoes (bathing suits, too), but....you never know what you want to wear! Cut back on my slacks, capris and shorts - can always have them cleaned. I always say, "packing less next time" and I never do (LOL)!

For clothes.....Although, I may set what I'm bringing aside in the guest room closet a week or more before a cruise.......I pack about only 6-12 hours before I fly. And I use a lot of tissue, plastic dry cleaners bags between layers and more formal things are added on their hangars in bags.

If I'm in a very organized mood, undergarments, shoes, etc. are packed a week or more ahead. But, clothes...they go last. And, always with the attitude that some may still need a bit of attention on arrival. It's what it is.

I'll have to read these! Where do the Doc Ford mystery books take place? I'm on the Space Coast.

White's main character Doc Ford is a marine scientist in Sanibel. Randy Wayne White owns a restaurant in Sanibel called "Doc Ford's" and it is a wonderful place to eat. Every time I read his books I feel like I'm on a vacation in Sanibel and Captiva. Then I have to take a weekend and go to Sanibel and eat at Doc Ford's!

I start the list about 2 months ahead and then exactly one month (to the day) I begin the actual packing- I like to be completely finished a week before we leave for vacation- that way I am not freaked out at the last minute and can make sure my house is clean and organized for when we come home!

Archived