Newcastle - Stockton Bight Sand Dunes

lisalovlee33

Just wondering if anyone has done this? We're renting a car and was wondering if we could do this ourselves instead of taking the tour. Is it far to walk to the dunes from the carpark? Also, for those who have taken the tour, do they pick you up from the bottom of the dune or do you need to hike all the way back up? Thanks in advance.

Just found out you can't do it on your own with a rented car. Anyone done this? experiences?

You can only do Stockton Beach with a 4WD and most if not all rental companies don't allow you to get off the bitumen.

There are a number of companies that do 4WD tours from Newcastle (Stockton Beach starts on the northern side of the Newcastle port - the city and the docks are on the south side) and they will be much cheaper than your ship will offer. Just do a google on Stockton Bight Sand Dune 4WD tours and you will find something suitable.

Cheers

Bob

You can only do Stockton Beach with a 4WD and most if not all rental companies don't allow you to get off the bitumen.

There are a number of companies that do 4WD tours from Newcastle (Stockton Beach starts on the northern side of the Newcastle port - the city and the docks are on the south side) and they will be much cheaper than your ship will offer. Just do a google on Stockton Bight Sand Dune 4WD tours and you will find something suitable.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks for the update. I did found a site and it's pretty decent priced ($20 compared to ship's $90+) I think the ship's also included one other stuff which I wasn't really interested in. We got a car rental, so getthing there should be no problem. There's a parking lot area that they pick passengers up. I saw their videos on sandboarding, rides in those big 4 wheelers.. it looked FUN!!

Archived