Carnival Ship Development

DarthGrady

I have two topics to touch on with this thread.

First, a lingering question I have had: In every new Carnival ship design you see a bit of the previous class, but expanded and usually enlarged. The Tropicale led to the Holiday, which in turn led to the Fantasy and so on. Though different sizes, they all share that same familiar layout. The paradox comes in the Spirit class. I have pondered this several times. Why are they different from all the other Carnival ship classes. Their layout is not similar to any of the others. One of the rumors that I heard was that the Spirit (aka Vista) class was a HAL design, incorporated by Carnival after the merger. Anybody know the answer, I'm just wondering.

Secondly, I was curious if anyone has any information, rumor or speculation on the layout, appearance, ammenities, or design of the Dream class? Carnival hasn't released much that I can find, and the first one launches in 2009. I would love to hear some good info.

The Spirit Class has more of the classic ocean liner hull shape, designed for the rougher waters of the open ocean, which is why you see the Carnival Miracle, for example making voyages from New York to the Caribbean in the Summer. To achieve the high speeds needed to get to Puerto Rico in two days, without making everyone on board seasick, a different hull design is required.

The Spirit Class has more of the classic ocean liner hull shape, designed for the rougher waters of the open ocean, which is why you see the Carnival Miracle, for example making voyages from New York to the Caribbean in the Summer. To achieve the high speeds needed to get to Puerto Rico in two days, without making everyone on board seasick, a different hull design is required.

Additionally, the Spirit class ships are capable of using the Panama canal to cross over to the Pacific from the Caribbean giving them additional versatility.

Very good questions. I think that the the Spirt Class was 1st built for Costa. Acoording to Ship Parade Costa Atlantica was built in 2000 and the Spirt was built in 2001. The closes Holland America class would be the Zuiderdam class, the hull looks very much like the Atlantica and Spirt. I also beleive that the P & O Cruises's Arcadia, the new Queen Victoria and Princess' Coral and Island all share the same hull, with different superstructure.

Very good questions. I think that the the Spirt Class was 1st built for Costa. Acoording to Ship Parade Costa Atlantica was built in 2000 and the Spirt was built in 2001. The closes Holland America class would be the Zuiderdam class, the hull looks very much like the Atlantica and Spirt. I also beleive that the P & O Cruises's Arcadia, the new Queen Victoria and Princess' Coral and Island all share the same hull, with different superstructure.

The Queen Victoria is actually a Holland America Vista Class hull, lengthened somewhat and hardened in the bow but still a Vista Class at heart.

This has been the topic of some fairly heated discussion (as heated as we get over there...) at the Cunard board as most of the folks there don't believe her to be a true 'liner' and I have to agree.

Here's the source for my information:

http://www.worldcruise-network.com/projects/victoria-cunard/

It is also rumored that the interior layout of the bars and other amenities were deliberately placed to produce a more subdued cruise.

They were going after honeymooners and family groups. Still fun, but not the over the top crazy that you see on other Carnival ships sometimes.

I love the Spirit class .... I wish they had a whole fleet of them!!!

Archived