I know this sounds stupid but,

:o is fog seasonal? There has been lots of complaints about conquest not making it to port because of the fog. It does seem that fog comes in spurts, then you don't see it for along time. I'm just hopping for a clear morning when we board.

It can happen any time of the year under ideal conditions.

Fog can be considered a cloud at ground level. The processes forming it, however, are usually different from those that form clouds. Like clouds, fog is made up of condensed water droplets which is the result of the air being cooled to the point (actually, the dewpoint) where it can no longer hold all of the water vapor it contains. For clouds, that cooling is from the rising of air parcels, which cools from expansion. For fog, which occurs next to the ground, there are usually other reasons for this cooling. For instance, rain can cool and moisten the air near the surface until fog forms. Also, infrared cooling of a cloud-free, humid air mass at night can lead to fog formation - this is called "radiation fog". Radiation fog is most common in the fall, when nights get longer, and land and water surfaces that have warmed up during the summer are still evaporating alot of water into the atmosphere. Finally, a warm moist air mass blowing over a cold surface (usually snow or ice) can also cause fog to form-this is called "advection fog".

It can happen in any port too. I was fogged out of Tampa Bay for 8 hours on the Sensation.

Think how often you get fog where you live. Yesterday in Michigan, it was so foggy I had to leave early for work. At times visibility was nothing.

Fog can happen anywhere, anytime, anyplace.

My advice, buy insurance.

The insurance peddlers will pop in and push insurance on any topic. How exactly to you make a claim for fog?

I believe they are refering to the fact that if fog is bad enough, it can cancel flights which can cause you to miss your cruise.

The insurance peddlers will pop in and push insurance on any topic. How exactly to you make a claim for fog?

I believe they are refering to the fact that if fog is bad enough, it can cancel flights which can cause you to miss your cruise.

Are you anti-insurance or something?

Fog can cause LOTS of reasons for needing the insurance.

1. flight delays so you might not make the cruise

2. missed flights because you were late docking

3. road accidents on your way to the dock from airport/home/hotel

to name a few.

:o is fog seasonal? There has been lots of complaints about conquest not making it to port because of the fog. It does seem that fog comes in spurts, then you don't see it for along time. I'm just hopping for a clear morning when we board.

I live in the Mobile, AL area...the Holiday's homeport, and around here the fog IS generally seasonal. It happens around this time of year when the water temp in the bay and the Gulf is colder than the air temp. We have days where the air temps will be 50 one day and upper 70's the next but the water temps don't fluctuate that much so when the air temp rises, we get heavy fog in the morning and after dark...it burns off by mid morning, though. I don't know if it's the same in Galveston but I would venture a guess that most Gulf Coast homeports have the same issue. Keep your fingers crossed for a cold morning on your day of departure.

Let me tell you how I made a claim for fog. I was 8 hours late into port. Missed my flight, had to rebook for the next day. Stayed in a hotel for the night and buy dinner and breakfast.

Insurance covered the cost to rebook the flight ($100 extra), Hotel ($80), and food ($15). That's $185 I could get reimbursed from insurance that cost me $70. That was back in 2002.

I have had to make 3 claims on insurance for delays during travel. The last one in 2006 was for almost $400 due to being late into port and missing flights, hotel, rental car, food, lost luggage, broken blow dryer, etc.

I'm not an insurance peddlar, but I have always found it an advantage to purchase it. If anyone cares to eat the cost of travel delays, that's their right. But I don't care to. I just don't want to read about the complaints because they didn't purchase insurance.

I buy insurance for the medical protection. I was on Grand Princess last year when a passenger had a medical issue and had to be taken by helicopter back to Galveston for an emergency medical procedure. I am assuming that could be very expensive....

I buy insurance for the medical protection. I was on Grand Princess last year when a passenger had a medical issue and had to be taken by helicopter back to Galveston for an emergency medical procedure. I am assuming that could be very expensive....

Oh boy, I would think so.

Let me add to that that on my way to the dock one day, I was hit by another car on the interstate. I live very close to the port city so I still made the ship, but the car was a total write off.

If I didn't live locally I would have probably missed that boat.

I primarily buy it for the medical part too, but if I had missed that ship it would have reimbursed me for that cost too.

Archived