Maroon Country Info?

bouldercruz

My family and I will be traveling soon on the Carnival Conquest. While in Jamaica we want to learn about Jamaican history. Specifically we would like to visit the maroon country (towns established in the mountains hundreds of years ago by escaped slaves). Has anyone done a tour of this area and if so can you recommend a guide? I have seen Kenneth Watson's name in guide books but I would love to hear if anyone has had experience with him. Thanks so much!

I have heard that Accompong is a great town to visit to learn more about maroon culture, Jamaican history, traditional medicine, etc. I heard about a company providing tours called Maroon Attraction Tours, and when I called them they recommended Kenneth Watson to me. I am hoping someone on this board has had experience with this tour company, has visited Accompong or other maroon towns, or knows something about Ken Watson. Anybody? Please help! THanks so much and happy holidays to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help with this query. We did do the excursion with Kenneth Watson on Jan. 2, and had a fabulous time with him. Visiting maroon country in Jamaica proved a great way to learn about the country and its history, so I highly recommend it to all of you. Kenneth Watson had a private bus for myself and seven family members. We toured the area where escaped slaves settled, learned from Kenneth about efforts by the British government to capture them--efforts which never suceeded. Finally, about 100 years later in 1738 the British signed a peace treaty with the maroons. We saw where the British fort had been, saw the maroon town and along the way we got a sense of life and work for Jamaicans today. Kenneth was terribly helpful, charming, and knowledgeable. After our tour of the mountains he took us to Montego Bay for lunch and shopping, then back to the ship. Every year there is a Maroon Festival with lots of music, good food, etc., and I am hoping to go back for that some year. We felt with this trip we got off the beaten track of the tourist industry and learned alot about Jamaica--it was one of the best trips I've taken on any of the four cruises I've done. So for anyone interested in such an adventure, try contacting Kenneth at kenwatsonjam@yahoo.com

Archived