"Space Age" QE2 info?

QueensFan

I've been trying to find out more lately on QE2's original (and possibly future) decor. I love all that design stuff, and I want to try and "find the vestiges of 1969" in April.

Anyone know any good places to get information, especially photographs, of that period? I've really only seen the "Space Age QE2" website and those images that were posted by (I think) some Scottish national archive for the 40th.

I've loved what I've seen so far...and I'm itching to find more original documentary.

See here for the April 1969 issue of Design. I think that will give you what you are looking for :) !

Last year at the New York Ocean Liner Bazaar I nearly bought a copy of Architectural Review that also featured QE2. (In typically groovy '60s fashion, the cover just said 'AR QE2'.) I wish I did. Great stuff!

The Architectural Review one is good, covers some stuff that is not mentioned elsewhere too, including decent pictures of the lookout bar if I remember correctly.

Another interesting site is "Space Age Ocean Liner" at http://members.tripod.com/~Tziper/qe2indx.htm

It is nicely put together and has a few pictures.

I had a field day finding original features and spaces last week on board - great fun, you'll love it! The bronze/alumnium/leather doors, the princess grill & champagne bar and various other bits & bobs - my results are here -

2120204607_b2bf1f0ffb_t.jpg2114365595_b06e880796_t.jpg2117129761_10462ddddb_t.jpg2119919819_910f84db1e_t.jpg2119923615_31e684ce71_t.jpg2120073347_0a2fcc5158_t.jpg

The Scottish link you can't remember is from Glasgow University's Archives - who hold the entire archive for John Browns Shipyard. This is the link to the relevant page - http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/qe2/qe2photogallery7/ I'm sure Dubai will be in touch with them sooner or later...

Ronald Warwick's book is tremendous for explaining what spaces were - e.g. that the Queens Grilll Restaurant was originally the 736 club, and that the bar for it was the teenage area... you can then match this up with the photos in the Design magazine link posted above.

Janette McCutcheon's "RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - The Last Great Liner" has some great original colour photos in it too, that I've not seen elsewhere.

Enjoy!

- Rob on Clydeside.

Thanks!

you seemed to have missed the Synagogue.
I knew where it was, but wasn't sure how to get in to see it - I also simply didn't have time! Maybe next time...

What camera do you use?
A cheap Fuji E900 - but with an add-on wide-angle lens for all the interior shots. Its also got a handy 'Natural' setting that makes the best of what light there is without resorting to a flash.

Wow. I've checked out all the links mentioned so far, and I really am amazed. Even though I love QE2 as she is now, I'm really taken by the real attention to detail and design of the original decor. The Design magazine thing was especially great.

If they could replicate it RIGHT in Dubai, it could be truly stunning. But only if they were to create exact replicas of the original pieces - a simple "1960s modern style" wouldn't do. If they couldn't do it right, she's still beautiful today, but I really do love this original style.

Keep in mind, my absolute favourite part of visiting Gettysburg was the 1966 Neutra visitor's centre. (And I'm a huge Civil War buff, too.)

If anyone has more info, I'd love to see them.

Wow. I've checked out all the links mentioned so far, and I really am amazed. Even though I love QE2 as she is now, I'm really taken by the real attention to detail and design of the original decor. The Design magazine thing was especially great.

If they could replicate it RIGHT in Dubai, it could be truly stunning. But only if they were to create exact replicas of the original pieces - a simple "1960s modern style" wouldn't do. If they couldn't do it right, she's still beautiful today, but I really do love this original style.

Keep in mind, my absolute favourite part of visiting Gettysburg was the 1966 Neutra visitor's centre. (And I'm a huge Civil War buff, too.)

If anyone has more info, I'd love to see them.

I was thinking about this during our last trip. The Queens' Room would be easy to recreate. But some of the other rooms would require major surgery. The stern has altered incredibly, and of course the "rabbit hutches" are likely to be the cabins that are sought after.

I can't see why they want the models if they want the ship as she was in 1969. It really doesn't make sense.

Matthew

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kindlychap

you seemed to have missed the Synagogue.

I knew where it was, but wasn't sure how to get in to see it - I also simply didn't have time! Maybe next time...

.....and if you time it correctly they also have a wine tasting do.. but only red wines !!!

[quote name='RAL72;127289...

Ronald Warwick's book is tremendous for explaining what spaces were - e.g. that the Queens Grilll Restaurant was originally the 736 club' date=' and that the bar for it was the teenage area... you can then match this up with the photos in the Design magazine link posted above.

[b']Janette McCutcheon's "RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - The Last Great Liner"[/b] has some great original colour photos in it too, that I've not seen elsewhere.

Enjoy!

- Rob on Clydeside.

Hmm, I have both of these. (And a copy of the other article, which I read every word of! Loved it!

In Jeanette's book, not sure which pic I liked better.

The one of the man in the bikini, Or the one of the man in the bubble bath (reading!) <EG>

I wondered how this book went over with most aficionados. I noticed a few possible mistakes in some of her books. But They were still enjoyable.

Karie

The Synagogue is the only completely original public space on the ship. That's it.

The Princess Grill and Princess Grill Bar are nearly original, but the Princess Grill now has chairs taken from either the Columbia (Caronia) or Britannia (Mauretania) Restaurant, and the Princess Grill Bar also has chairs that are, I think, 1980s vintage. (I'm honestly not sure what the originals were, but I don't think the ones there are them.)

Aside from that, what's left is just bits and pieces, like the basic layout and fluted column in the Midships Lobby, the ceiling and columns in the Queens Room, the ceilings, lighting, handrails and wood panelling in the One, Two and Three Deck passageways, and the railings throughout most of the stairwells.

Many of the public areas do not even bear a trace of the ship as she was when new. Take the Golden Lion Pub, the Grand Lounge/Royal Promenade, of course spaces that didn't even exist yet as indoor space like (most of) the Lido and Yacht Club... All these are 100% new. (Well, OK, not new any more as most are nearly half the age of the ship now, but you know what I mean... Not original.)

In the One through Five Deck passenger cabins there is also a lot of the original ship left; they have gotten new tables, chairs and ottomans (where applicable), bathrooms, soft furnishings and artwork but most do retain their original layouts, original built-in furniture, cabinetry and wardrobes, ceilings, and a good deal of the original wall coverings and lighting.

But the only passenger space on the entire ship (public or private) that I know of that has had no alteration to speak of is the Synagogue.

In Jeanette's book, not sure which pic I liked better.

The one of the man in the bikini, Or the one of the man in the bubble bath (reading!) <EG>

I wondered how this book went over with most aficionados. I noticed a few possible mistakes in some of her books. But They were still enjoyable.

Karie

IMO this book is worth buying for the pictures alone which is just as well as there are errors in the text. The major slip is the two references to the Lookout bar still being in use today.:rolleyes: It was my favourite place when I took my first voyage on QE2.

K.

Archived