What NOT to pack

xcluex

Note: my fiance, who started this thread, brought about 16 pairs of shoes on the last cruise. They required their own suitcase. And she complains about our snorkel gear!!! :p

Sounds like my wife...whenever we cruise, we make a joke about her "shoe bag" 15 to 20 pairs are the norm! Me...flip flops, sneakers and a pair of dress shoes.

GREAT....love these tips...they are perfect for 1st time cruisers!!

I will bring the power strip! With 4 women in the same cabin, I'm thinking that will be used!

I'm torn on the snorkel gear....I'm thinking probably not because of the space it takes up compaired to the time we will be useing it.

Alarm clock is a NO because I'm sure the girls will have their cell-phones with them & be able to wake us up!

I like the idea of the nite lite....but as I've said, with 4 ladies in the room, I'm sure we won't need an air freshener one.

Shoes....will strapped back sandles do for Formal night? We usually live in flip-flops!

(I know NO flip-flops for Formal nite!)

What about a hair dryer? Does the ship have them?

What's the mesh bag for....& what's the clothspins for?

So, we are starting the packing list for our much anticipated cruise - only what 22 days to go:D. We've scoured the the site for all the helpful "didn't think of that" items to pack, but have wondered how many have found duct tape, bungee cords, power strip, and the like have been useful.

As always, I'll probably pack too many clothes and too many shoes - I'm hoping for just 3-4 pairs of shoes but history has proven me wrong - how many do seasoned cruisers pack and for what (1 pair of tennis shoes, 1 pair of comfortable sandals, and 2 dressy for formal nights is what I have)?

Finally, we have our own snorkel gear and floaty thingees that take up a lot of space; I'm torn between knowing that our own gear will have only our germs, and the space that all this stuff takes.

The best thing I found was a pair of clear shoes. They have a small heal and can be worn with EVERYTHING. DO not get me wrong here I love shoes and I have a summer pair injust about every color possible, but I have found this clear pair to be very helpful when cruising. I wear them to dinner most every night, and have a simple pair of sandles and tennis shoes and only one pair of dress shoes. This has helped to keep us down to only two suit cases. I use to have at lease 6 pairs of shoes per suit case. LOL

We do not bother with the Bungee cords or the duct tape, have notcome across the need for them.

:cool: :cool: I am a woman with a husband and 22 and 20 year old children - they all pack their own stuff. I pack the night before, I cannot afford to buy just for a cruise, so I just go 7 or 8 days worth of outfits from top to bottom, runners (I wear on the flight), sandals, one pair of dress shoes and flip flops for pool and room. I have a small suitcase that all of our toiletries etc go into. If we forget something, don't sweat it, buy it and remember for next time. Only must on my list is Aloe gel, sun cream and Sambuca. Happy cruising. Cindy:cool:

Ok, I'll give you a pass then. You pack just like my wife. Did you see the lady who packs 16 pairs of shoes? How can anyone wear that many shoes in a week?

my take on snorkel gear, mask and snorkel are a must if you have good equipment, self purging masks and dry snorkels, they are expensive and are bought to fit your face, no leaks. The fins can be left at home, however we bring the whole set in a mesh bag, does not take up room. The Target or Wal-Mart snorkel set is probably similar to what you would rent. You can buy mouthpiece inserts and sanitizers at your local dive shop. When I am in 60-90' of water I want my own equipment.

This is a great thread! I hate that we can't take those tanks and missles -- but I'll get along without them. Duct tape is a must -- it can repair so many things, plus my creative daughter makes things like sandals, wallets, etc with it...

But color coordinate your stuff and limit your shoes. You'll be happier!

I also take a travel mug for taking coffee or juices back to the room.

LK

Ok, sorry, I gotta tease you on this one. You are a guy right? You pack way ahead of time? I packed the night before our 7 day cruise. I threw warm weather clothes in my bag and I was packed 2 hours later. I will admit that I made a list of a few things I knew that would be very helpful (1-2way radios, 2-surge protector, etc,,,) but I didn't pack those until the night before also. You're a guy and you pack earlier than the night before leaving? Man.:p :D

Ok maybe I should have clarified myself on this one.

When I say "we" that means me, and the DW. I should have said that she packs & unpacks. I usually have all my stuff for her together & she packs them. And sometimes she has to go back through & make sure she has enough outfits for any thing that may come up. I mean hevean forbid you wear the same slacks or shorts more than once.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry if it sounded like I broke one of the Man Laws.:cool:

a power strip though, although we still take them. :confused:

OMG I am so glad I opened this thread. We leave on Wednesday for our NYE cruise and I had forgotten the power strip!!! I always use my power strip on each and every cruise. THANKS!!

What about a hair dryer? Does the ship have them?

What's the mesh bag for....& what's the clothspins for?

Yes, hair dryer is OK, not big wattage but more like the ones typical of a hotel room.

Clothespins, there is a clothesline in the bathroom that you can use to hang up your wet swim wear or whatever else you want to rinse out....lie those undies someone said to leave behind!!

I also like to clip my towel to my chair on the balcony when it's windy. I've almost lost a few!

Jan

I found that I always take too many clothes. I am usually out in the sun on sea days and just wear shorts until dinner. Sometimes I wear the same shorts twice because I only wear them after sunning and waiting to change for dinner. For dinner I take a couple pair of capri's and several tops to change out. I just got back last Sunday from my cruise on the Conquest and I never wore half of the clothes I brought. It is very casual on that ship! In fact, I really did not see that many really dressed up for formal night! Most women just had on a little black dress and the men had on on suits or maybe a sportcoat. This was my third sailing on this ship and I found it to be very casual each time.

Relax and pack light! You will have a much better time and if your husbands are like mine...they will not complain as much!!

I made a few purchases for our forthcoming cruise that I believe will come in handy! I bought those little individually wrapped packages of SHOUT wipes, to remove spills etc. from clothing. My DH cannot drink a cup of coffee without dripping on his shirt. I think he has a hole in his neck. I bought enough of them to throw in my kids' stockings, too. Another purchase I made was a penlight for each person in the family to keep at their bedside for those middle of the night bathroom trips. Eliminates the need for a nightlight, and could also come in handy in an emergency. Mini sewing kits, and an over-the-door shoe organizer. My DS's girlfriend, who will be cruising with us, is a germaphobe, so got her a little mini can of Lysol spray for the remote in her room, it is a bit larger than a lipstick and got it at WalMart. At our nearest Dollar Store, I bought inflatable pillows to wear around the neck for those who wish to nap on the flight to Ft. Lauderdale, for a dollar apiece.

We will be taking an extension cord, and I told the girls to pack one each for their cabins too for curling irons, straighteners, etc. Not going to take the duct tape or bungee cords, but won't forget the ear plugs as I am a light sleeper and might be apt to throttle anyone who wakens me in the middle of the night!

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm very much enjoying them!

Dee :)

Archived