6 hour warning for a plate of cheese

m steve

The snobs that think they run the show can't take it.... I would like to travel along in their world where nothing ever goes wrong. They toot princess cruise lines horn no matter what
Ouch. Let's just say that maybe the people that think everything can't go right might just be angry. Wow.

How about giving some of that to the original poster who has forgotten to mention that the cheese tray he was ordering was a specialty item and for which additional preparation time should be understood. His complaint would be totally legitimate if he was ordering something of the regular room service menu.

Toot Princess' horn? You bet - I've had a great time on their ships.

If I looked for perfection on any line I would be disapointed, so I look for the things that are the most important to me.

Hope that explains it, Blessings

Yes it does explain it, thank you :) And I think you're right, its the overall experience we should remember to look for, not the little things that are bound to go wrong here and there.

This "poor service" junk is pathetic. Not just on this thread, but in general when people complain about service aboard a ship. Sure, once in a while youll get some bad service. Most of the complaints come from "give me this, give me that" people. The truth is, someone cleaning your room, turning down your bed, serving you breakfast, lunch and dinner and leaving a chocolate on your pillow is good service. Some people IMO have very unreasonable and lofty expectations. Especially for mainstream line.

Why then does the Cruise Critic exist?

To compliment the industry :rolleyes:

I thought that it was a chat area, for both good and bad experiences.

FWIW, 6 hours for cheese? Maybe they had to wait until the traps were baited and see what was left. :eek:

(BTW for those who like the cheese plate for desert..... order your cheese afters early in the cruise, the last few Princess cruises we were on ran low the last few nights)

I was on the Emerald and it was the second sea day. I didn't notice the 6 hour prerequisite at it really is rediculous. On other ships items like cheese and crackers are delivered immediately. (mentioning fruit was my error as I didn't want anything special). The idea of preordering cheese 6 hours in advance is unbelievable. How would I know at 10 am that I might want some cheese with my smuggled booze at 4 pm? I might have really wanted some shrimp or a smoked salmon sandwich. When I called customer care they thought that this was a stupid rule as well and was not aware of the 6 hour requirement. It just seems that the room service staff on that cruise was extra lazy and uncooperative. How about waiting 20+ minutes for them to just answer the phone? No I don't think I need compensation nor vow never to sail Princess again. I just expect excellent service from all departments as they advertise.

It still is rediculous to take 6 hours to cut up a few pieces of cheese and put a couple of bags of cheap crackers on a tray. They are being paid for this LUXURY! I didn't have this problem on HAL or Celebrity.

It really is an appetizer to feed 6 - on one trip I ordered cheese and crackers and salsa, guacamole (sp?) and chips - here is the pic:

Image-FCCAB90F75DD11D7.jpg-thumb_273_205.jpg

The cheese and crackers is in the back of the picture. This is a "pay for item".

I have to relay one of our experiences with roomservice. We were on the Crown Sept. 06 and ordered 6 beers. As I hung up the phone there was a knock on the door. My husband and I wondered who it could be............well, when we answered to door there was the beer!!! We had a good laugh accusing the waiter of sitting outside the door. He said there was a station across the hall from our cabin:cool: .................Mary

I have to relay one of our experiences with roomservice. We were on the Crown Sept. 06 and ordered 6 beers. As I hung up the phone there was a knock on the door. My husband and I wondered who it could be............well, when we answered to door there was the beer!!! We had a good laugh accusing the waiter of sitting outside the door. He said there was a station across the hall from our cabin:cool: .................Mary

See, I KNEW there was a reason I liked Princess - they have their priorities straight......hold the cheese, rush the beer!! :D

and screw using room service for a paid item. Now I know why my stock is down $5 a share because they don't know how to maximize room service. On X and Pricess in the past you could order caviar from room service at a high price and they not only offered it, they actually delivered it on a moments notice. Now that's what cruising is all about!!

I don't always put my two cent of thoughts in, but in this case I don't understand why a person would get upset over something that plainly tells them that it would take 6 hrs to process that request. I have ordered in the past from the special request menu for hosting friends in my cabin for drinks etc. As mentioned by others go and get what you want or order what they can bring you right away. This is so unfair to blame princess.

I agree with OP. Princess should do a better job than that.

On the Room Service Menu:

http://cruiseclues.com/starprincess/room_service_menu.htm

It clearly states that it takes 6 hours for the following. Princess is only doing what is stated in their room service menu...

This item it meant to be used for private parties, not the occasional snack.

There are ships with good service and ships with bad service. I don't really know what determines which are which.

We were on the Grand in August and just got off her sister ship - the Star. On the Grand, the captain and senior officers were frequently seen mingling with the passengers, and consequently checking on service, quality, etc. On the Star - 17 day T/A crossing - one seldom, if ever, saw any of the "brass" out and about the ship. I'm a firm believer that service emanates from the top down -- if the Captain emphasizes it and follows Princess' "C.R.U.I.S.E" *****, then it generally follows that all departments will toe the line.

By the way, C.R.U.I.S.E is an acronym for "Courtesy, Respect, Unfailing In Service Excellence"

[quote name='A Sixth?']Why then does the Cruise Critic exist?

To compliment the industry :rolleyes:

I thought that it was a chat area, for both good and bad experiences.

FWIW, 6 hours for cheese? Maybe they had to wait until the traps were baited and see what was left. :eek:

(BTW for those who like the cheese plate for desert..... order your cheese afters early in the cruise, the last few Princess cruises we were on ran low the last few nights)[/quote]

What does that have to do with my post? It certainly is a chat area, and people may complain about whatever they want. However, some people just expect too much. For the amount of money a person pays to cruise on a mainstream ship, they shouldnt expect it to be flawless. Like I said steward service, room service, someone serving you food all day, bringing you drinks by the pool is more than what you paid for. If one paid 900 for a seven day cruise(balcony stateroom), that breaks down to about 125 dollars a day(give or take). This person gets a beautiful balcony stateroom, all the food they want and tons of other ammenteties on board. To expect things to be perfect is just unreasonable. Service is subject to debate, but if you want perfect service, go on a high end line like seaborn, but youll pay 3-5 times the amount...

[quote name='B40 Tha Cruisa']What does that have to do with my post? It certainly is a chat area, and people may complain about whatever they want. However, some people just expect too much. For the amount of money a person pays to cruise on a mainstream ship, they shouldnt expect it to be flawless. Like I said steward service, room service, someone serving you food all day, bringing you drinks by the pool is more than what you paid for. If one paid 900 for a seven day cruise(balcony stateroom), that breaks down to about 125 dollars a day(give or take). This person gets a beautiful balcony stateroom, all the food they want and tons of other ammenteties on board. To expect things to be perfect is just unreasonable. Service is subject to debate, but if you want perfect service, go on a high end line like seaborn, but youll pay 3-5 times the amount...[/QUOTE]

Amen.

[quote name='retta']I don't always put my two cent of thoughts in, but in this case I don't understand why a person would get upset over something that plainly tells them that it would take 6 hrs to process that request. I have ordered in the past from the special request menu for hosting friends in my cabin for drinks etc. As mentioned by others go and get what you want or order what they can bring you right away. This is so unfair to blame princess.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Why would the OP think that they should make a special exception for him/her when it is plainly printed in the menu, "please allow 6 hours for preparation"?

Mike:p

Everyone has a bad day once in the while. Not that I think 6 hours is reasonable, but. . . that sort of thing happens unfortunately. We have been in restaurants, hotels, etc., with indifferent service from time to time.
Cruise ships, while generally very good, have bad service some times, too. E.G. we were on one line where the service was so bad, the concierge so rude, etc., that we actually complained when we returned. That was a 7 day bad experience, though, and not an single incident. Also, it wasn't just us, there were lines to the concierge and one could literally hear her yelling at many customers. No one else was willing to help either, and it wasn't a bad weather out of their control type of thing, it was simply horrible service. I doubt that we will ever sail that line again because we were so disappointed.
My point, I guess, is that you need to decide whether it is indemic or whether you think it was an isolated incident and act accordingly.
Ohiodoglover

For all the Princess appologists and menu posters I bring this to your attention. Even if there is a notice that it requires 6 hours notice for a plate of cheese and crackers which I was willing and happy to pay for do you think that it SHOULD take 6 hours to do this? Do you think that it should take over 20 minutes for room service to answer the phone? Is that what Princess' CRUISE is about.I didn't have this low level of service on the Diamond or even the Sun and definately not on HAL or X.
How long does it take for you to cut up a few chunks of cheese and put a few bags of cheap crackers on a plate? Maybe they should change the name from ROOM SERVICE to room pleadings.
Next they might post the dinner menus on the TV and require you to makeyour choices 6 hours ahead so that they will have time to prepare your special request dinner.

[quote name='m steve']For all the Princess appologists and menu posters I bring this to your attention. Even if there is a notice that it requires 6 hours notice for a plate of cheese and crackers which I was willing and happy to pay for do you think that it SHOULD take 6 hours to do this? Do you think that it should take over 20 minutes for room service to answer the phone? Is that what Princess' CRUISE is about.I didn't have this low level of service on the Diamond or even the Sun and definately not on HAL or X.
How long does it take for you to cut up a few chunks of cheese and put a few bags of cheap crackers on a plate? Maybe they should change the name from ROOM SERVICE to room pleadings.
Next they might post the dinner menus on the TV and require you to makeyour choices 6 hours ahead so that they will have time to prepare your special request dinner.[/QUOTE]

You ordered a party plate that clearly states to anyone who can read that it takes 6 hours. Your arguments make no sense. If you had ordered off the regular menu, you would have a valid argument. Other lines have similiar requirements for party platters.

[quote name='CaribbeanIsland']You ordered a party plate that clearly states to anyone who can read that it takes 6 hours. Your arguments make no sense. If you had ordered off the regular menu, you would have a valid argument. Other lines have similiar requirements for party platters.[/quote]

Maybe we are barking up the wrong tree. Not what it is but what should be. Maybe customer service should be first so that when people order something it should be available. It sure is that way with drinks.

All threads see to argue how things are and that people are emotional about the subject. Maybe discussions should be on how things could be better. Arguments that only complain have no value. I get complaints from people who work for me. But they know when they come in they better have a solution or nothing will happen.

[quote name='AZbeachboy']Maybe we are barking up the wrong tree. Not what it is but what should be. Maybe customer service should be first so that when people order something it should be available. It sure is that way with drinks.

All threads see to argue how things are and that people are emotional about the subject. Maybe discussions should be on how things could be better. Arguments that only complain have no value. I get complaints from people who work for me. But they know when they come in they better have a solution or nothing will happen.[/QUOTE]

Princess offers a room service menu with items that are quickly available. This item is not on that list. Not everything that everyone wants can be on this menu, it would be impossible. This is a party platter that is made up for parties. There would be too much waste if all party platters are made up ready to go at a moment's notice. Princess clearly states that this item takes 6 hours on the menu. He is complaining that employees are following orders of their managers.

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]What you are seeing here, IMHO, is a direct result of being mainstream and having to compete in a growing industry.

The biggest influence in any industry is profit. And the unfortunate result of trying to stay competitive but increase profitability (since Wall Street requires 20 percent profit growth year over year otherwise your stock price declines) is that services are diminished.

Look at what we have seen over the last few years:
[LIST]
[*]More pay as you go options (sodas, ice cream, and now such things as the sanctuary)
[*]Fewer differences between the mainstream lines with the exception of increased venues to spend additional cash
[*]Higher guest to staff ratios that result in increased workloads on staff, thus more creating more stress. If I'm not mistaken one of our stewards told us that in the past two years his workload increased by five additional cabins
[*]Much lower food quality and variety. Granted this is subjective, but I see a definite decline both in the size (lobsters for example) and the quantity and quality of foods being offered.
[*]Less "free" services on-board, fewer activities and fewer options for entertainment (when's the last time there are bands playing more then 2 or 3 hours a day)
[*]Calls to various support services; room services, concierge, pursers desk seem to take longer due to lack of staffing[/LIST]What it comes down to is that if you want the level of service that people received 10, and even 5 years ago you will have to pay more.

What we are seeing is a leveling of expectations. The cruise lines will keep reducing what they have to spend to keep people supporting the product until they reach the point where the reduced services start keeping people away from crusing. The market will support what the market demands.

I'll keep cruising, but unfortunately, I keep having to set my expectations lower to not be disappointed.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Archived