Northern Europe/British Isles

2Huskies

In today's "Trendwatch" article (Sept. 10), it says that Northern Europe/British Isles itineraries are not as popular as before and that some cruiselines are pulling their ships out of that region.

We are taking a British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Jewel of the Seas in July 2005 & are really excited about this trip. We reserved our cabin last March. But....is there something we should know about this itinerary that we don't? Why are some lines pulling out of Northern Europe? Have read great reviews about our particular itinerary & know that it is only offered a couple of times during the summer months, so it sells out fast.

This will be our first trip to Europe and have many questions and concerns.

If anyone can shed light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2Huskies

I find it strange that this itinerary wouldn't be popular. Maybe some folks have fears about stopping in Northern Ireland. (?) We're planning on cruising the British Isles in 2005, and plan to book it while on our upcoming cruise. Holland America has the perfect itinerary for us, so we're looking forward to it.

But we are going on a 10 day British Isles Cruise (down from 12 days this year) in May on the Golden Princess! We did the Jewel's first Scandinavia/Russia cruise this past May and I am still floating. What an awesome trip! :D Lynne

We did the British Isles/Norwegian Fjords last year and it was awesome. There is nothing to compare to the Norwegian Fjords. As one of our cruisecritic group said... it was sensory overload. All the ports are interesting and exciting.

Sandy

Hi 2 Huskies....We were on the June 21, 2004 sailing of The Jewel to the British Isles/Norweigan Fjords....My review is on my public profile page at the bottom of our list of passed cruises..... Its long but its my first web-page and review.

Debbie :D

Well...we're doing it next July on the Constellation...but, to be honest, it's probably my last choice of European itineraries (not that this is bad--look at the competition--Mediterranean and Baltic)...

I think, generally, given the choice between Mediterranean, Baltic and Britain/Norway, the prime differences break down like this:

The other two routes give you a little more diversity in terms of cultures, ports, food, etc. and they give you a lot more history and archaeology...and those routes are a little more difficult to travel to logistically...a lot of islands...a lot of ferries or flights needed to do them otherwise...

Britain, OTOH, is easier to travel around on a "land trip"...fly into Heathrow and rent a car...And Ireland has become a popular destination for land tours as well...and both of these can be done for very reasonable prices...and Americans have little trouble getting along language and culture-wise in England and Ireland...

Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Turkey et al...and Russia, Poland, Estonia, Finland, Sweden, et al pose different problems for the English-speaking traveloer and the comforts of a cruise ship base appeal to many of us...

There has also been a change in the demographics of the cruising public over the years...The Britain/Norway route has long been popular with the older set...and many of these folks try to avoid hot weather and "too foreign" places...but, as the demographics get younger, many cruisers want warmer weather and adventure...So, with more ships overall, but limited ones doing Europe, it's more important to maximize the cruises available in the preferred Mediterannean...and with Eastern Europe/Russia opening up a bit, the Baltic becomes the second priority...

Still there is a market for the Britain/Norway cruises...but also a short time window due to weather...So each of the lines tends to detour whichever ship is doing the Baltic for just a week or two...just enough to create and to cover the demand...

First of all,Steve, I always enjoy reading your posts...you have so much to say..and you have your definite ideas.

It strikes me funny that I look at it from a completely different point of view. As for our Northern European cruise, the draw for me is the Fjords. I figure a cruise is an easy way to see them. Great Britain and Ireland were never high on my list (I have always been drawn to the Mediterranean) and so they are just a bonus...something I probably would not have done otherwise.

As for the Mediterranean cruises. Over the years we have travelled in that area and we love to spend time in one place and feel the pulse. (My husband gets a big kick of doing what the locals do). To us adventure is taking a local bus and exploring. I'm saving the Mediterranean cruise for when we are older!!

The Baltic cruise doesn't tempt me at the moment, mainly because I was in Russia when it was the USSR and I saw enough to last a lifetime. At the end of that trip, when I embarked the KLM plane, I felt like kissing the floor...it was such an emotional relief to "return to civilization". You can't imagine what the Aeroflot planes were like.

So...we each have our ideas on various cruises, depending on our frame of reference. The bottom line is that almost all vacations are good,whether they are on land or sea.(Unless it pours!!!!)

It's a chicken and egg thing: do the cruise lines go to the Baltic more than to the British Isles and Norway because cruisers want the Baltic more, or is the Baltic virtually the only choice available in Northern Europe (at least on cruise lines catering to Americans). I think it's the latter.

On a scale of 1 to 100, our interest in the British Isles - Fjords area is about 98, while our interst in the Baltics is 2 or lower. Our ancestors spent a lot of effort getting out of Russia and the Baltics, and we don't want to go there. However, the cruise lines that cater to the U.S. market don't go to the British Isles -fjords route very often, and only in the summer, when business prevents us from going. If they went there in May or June we'd sign up pronto! They don't go to Norway and Britain then, so we're going to the Med. in November.

I'll admit it, I don't like hot weather. I would roast in the Med. in the summer, even if I were able to travel at that time of year. It's also why, with a November vacation window, we're going to the Med. instead of some hot place such as the Caribbean.

The Br Isles/Nor Fjords is a wonderful cruise. There are some awesome sights and intriguing ports. If you could only do one European cruise, I would say do a Med cruise. In my opinion, it is a toss up on the Baltic or Br Isles/Fjords cruise, depending on weather you are more interested in natural beauty or historical cities. The Br Isles/Fjords itinerary definitely has a more natural beauty focus. I thoroughly enjoyed each of them, since each one is quite unique and enjoyable experience.

By the way, the age group on the Br Isles/Fjords cruise seemed younger to me than the Baltic. You can check out our reviews at website linked in my signature.

Sleddogs here. "2Huskies" is my DH and this thread is really from both of us so I guess I'll pick up where he left off!

First of all, thanks to all for the great feedback. You've put our minds at ease for sure & are really looking forward to this trip. And Sweet Sea, we will definitely read your review. It's so nice to get feedback and those special tips that help make travel easier. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and it's good to read all points of view.

We are mainly interested in the Norwegian Fjords which is the real reason for this trip. Having been to Alaska twice (we love it there), we knew the fjords was just the place we'd love to visit. Not really interested in the Baltics right now, and the Med sounds beautiful for another year perhaps.

It's seemed like an added bonus on this particular cruise to be able to see parts of England, Scotland & Ireland along the way, places we've always wanted to visit. We had even considered the Norwegian Coastal Voyage, but I guess we are too much the "traditional" cruisers, and it wasn't what we were looking to do right now. We love RCI and the Jewel fit the bill.

Age won't be a factor as we are both in our early fifties and pretty much go with the flow.

Thanks again everyone! And Happy Cruising!

Sleddogs and 2Huskies

Sweat Sea,

Just about to read your review and noticed that you were on the Jewel celebrating your 30th anniversary. We are doing the exact same thing. Going to the fjords next summer, on the Jewel, celebrating our 30th! Happy Anniversary! Sleddogs

We are planning on this being our next trip to Europe in 2006 - British Isles and Norwegian Fjords - have been to the fjords previously and cannot wait to experience them again, the scenery is unbelievable. Just waiting for RCI to announce the dates and prices. After 2 Baltic trips, this itinerary is really appealing with the combo of fjords and sailing the British Isles, hope it remains on agenda.

I also sailed on Jewel this past summer with MVPinBoynton and SweetSea. The Norwgian Fjords were absolutely beautiful. It was as if you stepped right into a post card. I have not done the Baltic or the Meditteranean (yet). Our cruise was rerouted to Belfast Northern Ireland when it was originally slated to call on Dublin. Though I was disappointed that we didn't do to Dublin, we ended up taking our own private tour to the Antrim Coast and the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland and this was truely one the highlights of the cruise. Either way you can't go wrong! I'll be doing the Medittereanean in 2005 and the Baltics in 2006. Happy Sailing!

Archived