Western Carribbean Weather in January

gehrandt

Our son-in-law is concerned about the weather in the Western Carribbean in January - that it will be cold. Has anyone sailed recently that could let him know what type of clothing to bring, besides his whole closet?

I told him it was tropical and warm and people swim but he would feel more secure hearing it from someone that was actually there in Jan (we've only been there in the summer).

Ports in Western Caribbean in Jan or Feb are usually quite comfortably warm. Have sailed the W. Caribbean several times in the winter. We live in Ohio and can tell you that we definitely felt like we were living summer weather.

However, we always pack a pair or two of slacks and a sweater or light jacket as the temps on the ship can be cool sailing in and out of home port during winter months. (And the temps inside the ship at the entertainment shows and in the dining room sometimes warrant a shawl or sweater as well.)

Dianne

I recall a tour guide claiming it did not go below 55 degree F last year in Belize. Since I do not watch their weather reports, I do not have the time to search so can not report this with confirmation. But if you bothered to search for a website I am pretty sure you will discover the tour guide was not lying. No where near a freeze.

We've been to the Western Carrib. many times and always travel in January.....Never have encountered a "cold" day. Probably the coolest day was the last day on one of our cruises. It was overcast but still around 70. Have fun:p

I'll give you a live report in 2 weeks but for now I would say your son does not have to worry about catching a chill in Belize.

Today

Dec 2430.gifPartly Cloudy82°/65°20 %Tue

Dec 2539.gifScattered Showers83°/67°30 %Wed

Dec 2630.gifPartly Cloudy83°/69°20 %Thu

Dec 2739.gifScattered Showers83°/71°30 %Fri

Dec 2839.gifScattered Showers82°/72°30 %Sat

Dec 2939.gifScattered Showers83°/72°30 %Sun

Cruised many times to the western in Jan and never once had a day below 75 degrees. Also, the seas tend to be a bit calmer this time of year so things look good. The question for us is always what the weather will be at home coming and going. We have been iced out of our local airport a few times and have been very close to iced in a time or two. Not much of a hardship not being able to get home, but, possibly missing that flight out has given me a few sleepless nights!:eek:

This is a list of the temps and rainfall by months in Cozumel.

Month Avg.High Avg Low Avg Rain

January 82 68 3.8

February 84 68 4.8

March 85 68 2.0

April 87 72 6.8

May 86 73 8.2

June 87 74 14.9

July 87 74 5.7

August 89 74 4.8

September 87 74 14.2

October 86 73 3.7

November 83 71 3.5