No Tipping Necessary on Holland America

jc75644

I remember when HAL stated on their advertisements "no tipping necessary". We just returned from a HAL cruise, 15 day, circle Hawaii on the Zaandam & I observed that the $10 per person added each day is listed as "hotel service charge" even though one is led to believe it is the standard "tipping" amount. On the last evening I observed at least half of the passengers giving envelopes to their waiters/ assistants/ and wine, etc. servers.

When cruise giant carnival bought Holland america line several years ago they began implementing their policies onboard all their different lines. So basically we could be seeing tipping necessary on the yachts of seabourn in the future.:mad:

Ncl35 didn't quite get it right.

Carnival purchased HAL 18 years ago, just before HAL was about to declare bankruptcy.

HAL instituted the new gratuity policy just 3 years ago.

Carnival Corp has almost nothing to do with the operational designs of the lines under it's umbrella.

HAL was forced to change it's tipping policy in order to stop losing all their well-trained crew to the other cruise lines.

HAL's "No Tipping Required" policy was being interpreted by far too many cruisers as "No Tipping Allowed". Their crew were earning far less at HAL than they could at just about any other line. So many of them left and went to work elsewhere. HAL had to do something to stop this bleeding and so joined the other mass market lines with the auto-tip that makes it more difficult for the more "frugal" passengers to avoid tipping the service staff.

Over the past 3 years, with the new tipping policy in place, crew turnover at HAL has returned to it's original low numbers.

Luxury Lines like Seabourn have a "No tipping" policy that really is NO TIPPING.

They pay a rather high salary to their specially trained crew. Those high salaries are possible due to the fact that Seabourn has a very hig per diem that seriously discourages "Frugal" cruisers.

One shouldn't expect to see any tipping policy on Seabourn any time soon. But then, those who bother to complain about tipping policies are never going to be able to afford to sail on Seabourn anyway.

I had a huge arguement with my FIL a few years back about the "no tipping required" "policy" at HAL. My inlaws are frequent HAL cruisers (something like 200+ days now) and my FIL swore that there was NO REASON TO TIP BECAUSE IT WASN'T REQUIRED. Well, I was so pi**ed off that I grabbed a Seabourn (I think! it was a high end all inclusive for sure) brochure and showed him that that line had a true no tipping policy but HAL brochure mentioned that it 'wasn't required' but not discouraged. Well, pity the poor staff that never got tipped after working their butts off. I know my FIL was not trying to be 'frugal' lol, he just didn't understand the policy. I am sure like the previous poster stated that with so many not understanding the wording, the staff got stiffed. I am sure the staff love policy now.

I have witnessed first hand that my FIL now tips very generously on HAL.

Oh yes, I do tend to grab every cruise brochure at the travel agency (s). I look through them carefully and I am very good at reading between the lines!

I dont even look at recommended tipping amounts...every one we come across has been very reasonable for the service we have recieved...

Carnival Corp has almost nothing to do with the operational designs of the lines under it's umbrella.

I find this difficult to believe though

On the last evening I observed at least half of the passengers giving envelopes to their waiters/ assistants/ and wine, etc. servers.
I'm not sure if there is a question here. Yes, HAL had to go to the service charge a few years ago because too many passengers took the "No Tipping Required" policy to be "no tipping". No one was forced to tip nor were envelopes passed out with names and 'suggested' amounts. Yes, passengers 'should' have tipped, but .......

And yes, we still give 'extra' to our wonderful waiters/assistants. Is something wrong with that????

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure if there is a question here. Yes, HAL had to go to the service charge a few years ago because too many passengers took the "No Tipping Required" policy to be "no tipping". No one was forced to tip nor were envelopes passed out with names and 'suggested' amounts. Yes, passengers 'should' have tipped, but .......

And yes, we still give 'extra' to our wonderful waiters/assistants. Is something wrong with that????

Nothing wrong with extra tipping, it is more personal...the auto-tip charged to your credit card is really a non-personal thing...I hate it. It's so cold....:) Jer the Bear

Ncl35 didn't quite get it right.

Carnival purchased HAL 18 years ago, just before HAL was about to declare bankruptcy.

HAL instituted the new gratuity policy just 3 years ago.

HAL was forced to change it's tipping policy in order to stop losing all their well-trained crew to the other cruise lines.

HAL's "No Tipping Required" policy was being interpreted by far too many cruisers as "No Tipping Allowed". Their crew were earning far less at HAL than they could at just about any other line. So many of them left and went to work elsewhere. HAL had to do something to stop this bleeding and so joined the other mass market lines with the auto-tip that makes it more difficult for the more "frugal" passengers to avoid tipping the service staff.

Over the past 3 years, with the new tipping policy in place, crew turnover at HAL has returned to it's original low numbers.

Luxury Lines like Seabourn have a "No tipping" policy that really is NO TIPPING.

They pay a rather high salary to their specially trained crew. Those high salaries are possible due to the fact that Seabourn has a very hig per diem that seriously discourages "Frugal" cruisers.

One shouldn't expect to see any tipping policy on Seabourn any time soon. But then, those who bother to complain about tipping policies are never going to be able to afford to sail on Seabourn anyway.

LOL! You last line is TOO funny!

Actually I am glad. We had no idea what to tip on our previous HAL cruise in 2001 and since we were told HAL paid their staff better then other lines and it was not necessary to tip- we tipped less. If we had known this was not true we would have tipped more.

I am sure we will also slip our waiters and steward a lettle extra over the automatic tipping.

• 1 month later...

Help me out here so I can tip properly...

I usually tip 15-20% at restaurant depending on the service... Since we won't pay a bill for dinner/lunch on HAL cruise ship, so what would be the modest amount and generous amount?

Thank you,

PC

• 7 years later...
I remember when HAL stated on their advertisements "no tipping necessary". We just returned from a HAL cruise, 15 day, circle Hawaii on the Zaandam & I observed that the $10 per person added each day is listed as "hotel service charge" even though one is led to believe it is the standard "tipping" amount. On the last evening I observed at least half of the passengers giving envelopes to their waiters/ assistants/ and wine, etc. servers.

That is just too silly for words. Tipping is included. Why go around with extra in little envelopes? Yes, I have given extra to my cabin steward, who went out of his way for me, but that is about it. The tips deducted of your ship board account are shared amongst all staff, even the ones you never meet.On a Cruise a few years ago I watched pax giving envelopes to the Maitre D, as he wound his way around the tables in the MDR on the last night. This man had done absolutely NOTHING to deserve a tip. During a 7 day Cruise I saw him 3 times. He just came around to the tables and asked if everyone was having a good time. Period. He served nothing, carried nothing, did not show anyone to their seat........in fact he didn't appear in the diningroom until dessert time. Disgusting. And I do believe the fee is $12.50, not $10.