dress code question?

hlb76

Hi all knowing CCers. I am starting to plan out my wardrobe for my trip in Jan. I have been on one cruise before but it has been a 2 years so want to double check things. We plan on eating in the dining room most nights. I know that jeans and shorts are not allowed, yet some get away with it. I do plan on following the rules and am looking forward to dressing up. My question is I have a few dressy tops that are either sleeveless or halters are they allowed? I do know I may want to bring a sweater due to the temp in the dining room.

Hi all knowing CCers. I am starting to plan out my wardrobe for my trip in Jan. I have been on one cruise before but it has been a 2 years so want to double check things. We plan on eating in the dining room most nights. I know that jeans and shorts are not allowed, yet some get away with it. I do plan on following the rules and am looking forward to dressing up. My question is I have a few dressy tops that are either sleeveless or halters are they allowed? I do know I may want to bring a sweater due to the temp in the dining room.

Jeans are allowed,shorts are not.

Jeans are allowed,shorts are not.

Really? I know that there are some who actually try and get away with it,but I always read even in the carnival capers that jeans,shorts,and bathing suit attire where not allowed in the dinning rooms during dinner.Some people were even asked to leave the dinning room by the Matri'D. As far as the sleeveless and halters they will be just fine. They are just like many of the top halfs on formal dresses.

:) HAPPY CRUISING!

Lindsey

Thanks :) That is what I thought. They are quite dressy, so did not think I would have an issue, but I did read on Carnivals web site no tank tops. The tops I am referring too are a far cry from a tank top.

Jeans are allowed in the dining room. The only restrictions are shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire.

This is from carnival.com:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

On the Fantasy there were lots of jeans and jean capris every single night. Maybe the difference in ports or ship-not sure though. Lots of tank tops by women but they all were cute. Everyone I saw stuck to the formal dress code though==Tuxes(many, even on the kids..so cute) Lots of suits, most men in coats and tie w/dress slacks and a few w/no jacket but still the shirt and tie and they still looked nice. Women were beaded evening gowns to short cocktail dresses. Many velvet dresses and velvet or chiffon pants with sparkly tops. Lots of women wore party type dresses/cocktail dresses each night. I did a couple of nights-we went very formal(tux and floor length gown) on the one formal night.

Really? I know that there are some who actually try and get away with it,but I always read even in the carnival capers that jeans,shorts,and bathing suit attire where not allowed in the dinning rooms during dinner.Some people were even asked to leave the dinning room by the Matri'D. As far as the sleeveless and halters they will be just fine. They are just like many of the top halfs on formal dresses.

:) HAPPY CRUISING!

Lindsey

Right from a CC feature,notice the last paragraph......

Carnival Cruise Line

The Code: Depending on the night, Carnival has formal and casual dress codes. Formal dress includes tuxedo, suit and tie, or jacket and tie for men and evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuit for women. Casual wear means sport shirts and slacks for men and dresses, skirts or pantsuits for women.

Number of Formal Nights: There are two formal nights per seven-night cruise, one on shorter cruises.

Nightly Casual Option: For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Shorts, T-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the dining room during dinner. According Carnival spokesperson Vance Gulliksen: "Here's the deal with jeans. They are not specifically mentioned in our dress code recommendations one way or the other and we do not encourage nor discourage them in the main dining rooms. We allow jeans and have allowed jeans for many years. The only time it is an issue is on formal nights."

Right from a CC feature,notice the last paragraph......

Carnival Cruise Line

The Code: Depending on the night, Carnival has formal and casual dress codes. Formal dress includes tuxedo, suit and tie, or jacket and tie for men and evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuit for women. Casual wear means sport shirts and slacks for men and dresses, skirts or pantsuits for women.

Number of Formal Nights: There are two formal nights per seven-night cruise, one on shorter cruises.

Nightly Casual Option: For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Shorts, T-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the dining room during dinner. According Carnival spokesperson Vance Gulliksen: "Here's the deal with jeans. They are not specifically mentioned in our dress code recommendations one way or the other and we do not encourage nor discourage them in the main dining rooms. We allow jeans and have allowed jeans for many years. The only time it is an issue is on formal nights."

Oh,Thanks for posting it I have never notticed it before.I had heard from many people who sail carnival that jeans weren't allowed but there's actual proof that they are allowed. Thanks for letting me know,I learned something new.

Lindsey

There's a difference between tank tops and the dressy halter tops or other sleeveless tops that women frequently wear. I suspect (I hope) that if a woman turned up in one of the knit-rib informal jockey or hanes (or even old navy) tanks, she would be turned away. It's the fabric and actual cut that makes the difference. Is it a clear cut distinction? No. Women's fashions are seldom a strict "is it or isn't it". I "know" what is or isn't appropriate but I don't think I can put it down in black and white guidelines. I know, and I suspect most of you do also, what a tank top is when I see it. I supose one way to look at it is to ask, "would I wear this with running shorts?" If the answer is yes, don't wear it to the dining room.

I just got off the Ecstasy last week and there were tons of people wearing jeans. We even saw jogging suits. Formal night there were a few people in jeans (and cowboy hats). I never saw anyone turned away but of course I didn't watch the door the entire time.

As a first time Carnival cruiser, I found it funny that they want you to dress up to come to dinner but then blast hip hop music and turn on flashing lights in the middle of the meal. It felt like I was in a stripper joint several times.

I just got off the Ecstasy last week and there were tons of people wearing jeans. We even saw jogging suits. Formal night there were a few people in jeans (and cowboy hats). I never saw anyone turned away but of course I didn't watch the door the entire time.

As a first time Carnival cruiser, I found it funny that they want you to dress up to come to dinner but then blast hip hop music and turn on flashing lights in the middle of the meal. It felt like I was in a stripper joint several times.

That's the best time to distribute the tips to the waitstaff...they perfer single dollars tucked into their garters and waists ! :rolleyes:

It is a joke, calling it "formal night" then playing tacky music and dancing on tables with strobe lights and towel waving. No wonder jeans are worn.

Jeans are not restricted, but they are not described when they are helping you find clothes that others will be wearing in this type of social setting.

They also don't feel they need to list where the waist of a pair of pants should be worn (yet :rolleyes: ).

Jeans just don't fit the bill in a "country club" type atmosphere.

But they certainly won't keep you from entering wearing such.

They may say something if you wear your pants lower than the bottom of your underwear, though.

Jeans are allowed. Shorts are only allowed for breakfast and dinner.

Halters and tanks for women are allowed. You will be fine. :)

Jeans are allowed. Shorts are only allowed for breakfast and dinner.

Halters and tanks for women are allowed. You will be fine. :)

YES, shorts are only allowed for breakfast and DINNER. I'm sure it was an error, but how true especially on my last Legend cruise

Jeans are not restricted, but they are not described when they are helping you find clothes that others will be wearing in this type of social setting.

They also don't feel they need to list where the waist of a pair of pants should be worn (yet :rolleyes: ).

Jeans just don't fit the bill in a "country club" type atmosphere.

But they certainly won't keep you from entering wearing such.

They may say something if you wear your pants lower than the bottom of your underwear, though.

Have you been to any country clubs in Colorado or Texas? My country club allows jeans on the golf course, cocktail lounges, and lunch in the DR. Dinner is where they draw the line. I have never seen a member refused service with pressed jeans and a nice shirt, some even where a sports jacket with their jeans.

Have you been to any country clubs in Colorado or Texas? My country club allows jeans on the golf course, cocktail lounges, and lunch in the DR. Dinner is where they draw the line. I have never seen a member refused service with pressed jeans and a nice shirt, some even where a sports jacket with their jeans.

Perhaps you should look a little closer at my quotes than feel the need to correct me. It is used as an adjective rather than a noun.

But I'm so happy for what you encounter at your club and felt the need to share.

Archived