Shipboard Announcements

EchoSix

I've read an awful lot of comments made about PA announcements that take place from either the Cruise Director or the Captain.

I get the feeling that announcements are made on Royal Caribbean's cruises, quite often throughout the day.

Just how often are the announcements and how loud are they?

I'm only mentioning because I HATE how loud the captain's voice comes through the speakers, while on an airplane. You know... You're dozing off and you just about jump out of your skin and have a heart-attack when the airplane's captain comes on, telling you about the speed of the aircraft, altitude, weather in the destination city, etc.

How often do we hear about activities, schedules, etc?

And why do they do that, if you also get a hold of the daily schedule, slipped under your door to your cabin?

Very rarely do you hear an announcement in your room except for Muster and at the end of the cruise or unless something VERY important is going on! The other anouncements are on the decks and hallways. you shoudl be fine

Okay. Thanks! :D

I've just gotten the impression that some ships "pump" the passengers almost all day, with news about things from everything from bingo, to horse racing or deck activities and everything and anything that generates more people to spend money or contribute to assisting the Cruise Director's plans and making it look like they're earning their pay.

I've just gotten the impression that some ships "pump" the passengers almost all day, with news about things from everything from bingo, to horse racing or deck activities and everything and anything that generates more people to spend money or contribute to assisting the Cruise Director's plans and making it look like they're earning their pay.

In my experience RCCL does not over use their PA, on the other hand Carnival was atrocious for this, every 5 minutes it seems they were hawking something.

The usual announcement I hear are 1.The Captain with an update, 2. Bingo!, 3. Seminar/Auction reminders. They are usually in the hallways and public rooms. Some ships have in room speakers. Ours didn't work on the Enchantment though, so we lucked out in a way. We had to open the door to hear them if we were in our cabin.

LOL, I read that thread as well and asked my hubby if he remembered the constant announcements since I didn't. We laughed about this on our drive to the pier last week stating that since we were becoming Diamond members we would hear all these annoying announcements that people complain about :D ;)

We did hear one announcement while entering our cabin since the cabin door was open and had a good laugh. That was the last one we heard. :) If they do have announcements we obviously can tune them out!

###

are not piped into your cabins, but emergency announcements, etc are.

12 noon...The CD and Captain address the passengers. There are other "ahwking' announements but thet defiantely are not overbearing.

If you want your ear drums shattered, try HAL when it comes time for BINGO. It is unbelieveable!!!

In my experience RCCL does not over use their PA, on the other hand Carnival was atrocious for this, every 5 minutes it seems they were hawking something.

We are looking forward to our first RCCL cruise and are hoping the number of announcements will be similar to what we experienced on Celebrity cruises. Very few and limited to hallways and public spaces - except for muster or extremely important announcements.

Sue, we had previously heard that Carnival was notorious for overuse of announcements. However, on the two Carnival cruises that we took in the last couple of years, we found that the frequency of announcements was right on par with Celebrity. Perhaps that's a thing of the past for Carnival???

Barb

We found a couple of days in to the Liberty of the Seas trip that there is an in-room volume control. There were announcements that we did want to hear, like when we were cleared to debark in port.

Mike

No matter what they do, they can't please everyone, but usually, except for emergency announcements, you cannot hear most of the announcements in your cabin. More than once we have had to step into the hallway to hear what is being said on the PA system. Just yesterday, I read a post from someone who complained that, on his Alaska cruise, the CD made few if any announcements. :D

I've read an awful lot of comments made about PA announcements that take place from either the Cruise Director or the Captain.

I get the feeling that announcements are made on Royal Caribbean's cruises, quite often throughout the day.

Just how often are the announcements and how loud are they?

I'm only mentioning because I HATE how loud the captain's voice comes through the speakers, while on an airplane. You know... You're dozing off and you just about jump out of your skin and have a heart-attack when the airplane's captain comes on, telling you about the speed of the aircraft, altitude, weather in the destination city, etc.

How often do we hear about activities, schedules, etc?

And why do they do that, if you also get a hold of the daily schedule, slipped under your door to your cabin?

We found that there is a intercom in your room that we turned on when we heard anmnouncements throughout the hallway. Throughout the ship we heard announcements quite clearly. Most were made for events-ie BINGO etc that are in the compass they give you every night.

Our experience has been that the captain's addresses are transmitted to the announcement channel in the cabin speakers (which otherwise plays elevator music so we keep it too low to hear) but most of the event announcements are only transmitted to open spaces so they are muffled from within the cabin unless you open a door. I've never felt bombarded by announcements.

There's a control knob for the volume on the speakers? That's interesting.

Yes, I don' remember this on prior cruises. It was on the lower left of the mirrors at the make-up/desk area.

Mike

As on just about every cruise line I've sailed RCI only has announcements on the cabin speakers that are safety related. Outside of the cabin there is a big difference between cruise lines when it comes to PA announcements. My last RCI cruise was every bit as bad with PA announcements as the Carnival cruises I've experienced. Celebrity and Princess are much quieter...if you want to find out when and where to play Bingo you have to read your daily schedule (thank goodness).

We were on the Sovereign recently and honestly I can only remember hearing 3 announcements, although I am sure there were more but we certainly couldn't hear them in our room. One was of course for the muster and that was loud and clear in our room. The 2nd was the day we were at Coco Cay, we had just got back to our room around 2:00 when they made an announcement that they were stopping the tender from the ship to CoCo Cay due to high winds, they were only bringing people back from CoCo Cay, this was also loud and clear in our room. The 3rd was on the last day while in the dining room for breakfast they announced that due to rough seas we were going to be getting into port an hour later.

They probably had the Bingo announcements and others but I was oblivious to them (in my own little world I guess)and I definitely didn't hear them in the cabin so that was good.

Archived