Silver Cloud review (11-22DEC 2007)

CASHIPman

Silversea Cruises

m/v Silver Cloud

"African Odyssey"

11-22DEC2007

Itinerary:

Port Louis, Mauritius; Tamatave, Madagascar; Tulear, Madagascar; Richards Bay, South Africa, Durban, South Africa; Cape Town, South Africa.

At first glance the itinerary sounds as if it's chock full of exotic locales. After having visited these ports I would downgrade them to "interesting".

Mauritius

We spent 3 days in Mauritius (at the Movenpick Resort) before boarding the ship. Mauritius is the type of destination where you arrive, go to one of the uber-fabulous resorts and stay on the property until it's time to depart. We took a taxi tour of Mahebourg and Blue Bay..both were perfectly fine. Prior to joining the ship we had the taxi driver give us a brief tour of Port Louis, the island's capital.

Tamatave and Tulear, Madagascar.

The calls at these ports were primarily for passengers to take tours of the flora and fauna of Madagascar. (see "Tours"). We did neither and elected to take the Silversea-provided shuttle to the respective town centers. There was very little to see of any notable interest in either location. Each town had your traditional marketplace. It was fun to see folks buying there fake Christmas trees for the holiday. I have to say though it was neat to walk around each town.

Richards Bay, S. Africa:

Richards Bay is a coal town/harbor. The shuttle bus took passengers to a shopping mall that could've just as easily been in Suffolk County. (NY). The ship overnighted in Richards Bay as it's the gateway to KwaZulu Natal and some of S. Africa's finest game reserves. The reason for the overnight stay was to allow some passengers to do overnight tours to game lodges. We elected to do a full-day tour of Hluhluwe Game Park. The weather at Richards Bay was the only foul weather of the journey. We were delayed leaving the port as it (and Durban's port) had been closed by the harbourmaster due to high winds.

Durban, S Africa:

Durban is a large city with nice beaches. 'nuf said

Cape Town, S Africa:

Cape Town remains a fascinating city to visit. Upon our arrival we immediately rented a car and drove to Franschoek in the winelands for lunch. We stayed at the colonial era "Mount Nelson Hotel" as part of the partnership between Silversea and American Express. The city and its environs are filled with spectacular beauty.

Tours:

The only ship-sponsored tour that we took was the full day safari to Hluhluwe Game Reserve. This was offered from Richards Bay. It was a great tour that gave us about 5 hours in the park. We were able to see 3 of the "big five" animals, (the cats being nocturnal). The participants were divvied up into 10 passenger Land Rovers. Our guide/driver was adept at explaining the the park, the animals and their habits. Well worth the money.

The ship offered two two-night safaris that allowed participants to stay at lodges on site. These too were offered from Richards Bay but the tour ended at Durban. These were each in the USD2000.00 range. One couple arranged their own program to the Phinda Game Reserve for one night. They felt the one night with its associated park drives were enough.

The tour offered at Tamatave, Madagascar took participants to see lemurs in a zoo.

The tour offered in Tulear, Madagascar was a multi-hour drive to see a baobab tree. We didn't take this tour and heard complaints about it and that the participants wanted it to end early.

We had planned to take a safari tour from Durban but given that we had done the safari in Richards Bay we cancelled this.

Service:

The Silver Cloud's crew was top-notch. The Cruise Director, (Steve Lewis) and the Hotel Manager were omnipresent. Bar service was excellent in all the ship's bars. If I have to cite an "issue" (and I'm reallllly reaching now!) it would be that my stateroom didn't have Pepsi in it which was requested on the guest information form. This was mentioned to the stewardess and Pepsi appeared. For my partner, the only service issue was surrounding the wine service. On previous Silversea trips the sommelier was always knowledgeable about wines, especially the ship's own wine list. On this particular trip the head sommelier, while very enthusiastic and personable was not up to the level of knowledge as other sommeliers.

Food:

This was the first voyage for the ship's new chef. Chef Tobias Schreiber joined Silversea from a long stint at Radisson/Regent. We were fortunate to have had chef Schreiber's food on Radisson many years ago and were looking forward to having it again.

"The Restaurant"

On the plus side, the meals always ranged from very good to outstanding. Generally speaking, the beef dishes were great. His kitchen welcomed special orders so we took them up on this. One evening we ordered saffron risotto, pasta carbonara and Beef Wellington. The risotto was...was...was...I can't think of a superlative worthy enough for the risotto. The pasta carbonara was also very delicious. The Beef Wellington...well, not so good. It was a recipe of which we were unfamiliar. We were used to the dish being prepared with beef, a layer of foie gras and pastry. This presentation had the beef sitting on a bed of spinach and mushrooms within the pastry.

"La Terrazza/Terrace Cafe"

We dined at La Terrazza one evening. The food was very good but not outstanding. The hit of the dinner was the pizza the waitstaff served alongside the bread. Apparently there's a pizza oven in the La Terrazza kitchen and they know how to use it! We even ordered the same pizza for lunch at the pool grill the following afternoon.

We took breakfast in the Terrace Cafe twice and each time it was delicious. I've been on other lines where the breakfast buffet on disembarkation day looked a bit thin but this is not the case with Silversea. It looked as fresh on Day 11 as it did on Day 1.

"Pool Grill"

This is my preferred lunch spot. The service was excellent and the offerings by the grill were delicious. A big hit for my partner was the glazed grilled salmon. We would also order things like pizza, etc. (see above) to be delivered to the pool grill and it was done with a smile.

State of the Ship:

The Cloud seems to be in fine form. I didn't go looking for worn carpeting or furniture nicks but there was nothing glaringly in need of fixing. When we disembarked at Cape Town there were two deck's worth of mattresses waiting to be onloaded and installed.

Passengers:

There was a mixed bag of nationalities on board with no one nationality seemingly in overabundance. Star-sighting: American actress Linda Lavin was on board as a passenger.

Entertainment:

We generally don't go to ship's entertainment so here's what was offered. Any opinion is second-hand.

The entertainment on board included a duo who did "Cirque du Soleil" type acrobatics in the Venetian Lounge. "Gaby and Jean Claude" received rave reviews from the passengers on board.

Donnie Rae, a crooner sang twice during the voyage and was generally well received.

There was a female British singer however I didn't hear whether she was worthwhile.

One of the social hostesses who's an aspiring singer had a show in the Venetian Lounge on the last night. We could hear Laura belting out tunes from the Lounge while we were sitting in "The Bar" and she has a great singing voice.

Deck Barbecue

We had a deck barbecue while we were in port at Durban. It was, as always great fun. The ship had Zulu dancers perform for the assemblage and they were warmly received.

Weather

This is the Southern Hemisphere's summer so the weather was generally sunny and hot! The only inclement weather was between Richards Bay and Durban. The ship was delayed a number of hours as both ports were closed. Once we were underway the ship rocked and rolled quite a bit. Luckily we didn't get out of Richards Bay until after midnight so most people were asleep during the rough ride.

Overall impression

Silversea lived up to all expectations. As for the itinerary...I'm glad to have visited these places but, except for Cape Town, I have no need to go back to any of them.

Hi there, it's Jane from the Seabourn boards *smile*. Great review.

I see this cruise was in the Indian Ocean. I'm looking at a December, 2009 one week cruise to the Seychelles islands on Silversea. It's extremely expensive, Silversea only has a 175% single supplement available. Ouch. Have you ever been there, or known anyone who has sailed this particular itinerary? Starts from Mahe and ends up in Mahe, visits several of the islands.

One of my dream destinations...but the expense of it (and getting there from southern California costs alot) has turned me away time and time again. Just wondered if anyone thought it "worth it"! Thank you!

Jane

Hi there, it's Jane from the Seabourn boards *smile*. Great review.

I see this cruise was in the Indian Ocean. I'm looking at a December, 2009 one week cruise to the Seychelles islands on Silversea. It's extremely expensive, Silversea only has a 175% single supplement available. Ouch. Have you ever been there, or known anyone who has sailed this particular itinerary? Starts from Mahe and ends up in Mahe, visits several of the islands.

One of my dream destinations...but the expense of it (and getting there from southern California costs alot) has turned me away time and time again. Just wondered if anyone thought it "worth it"! Thank you!

Jane

Hi Jane...

I think the previous cruises to my cruise was Mombasa-Mahe, Mahe-Mahe, Mahe-Mauritius and there were folks who joined in both Mombasa and Mahe who were still on my voyage. I think the only comment I can recall from someone who visited the Seychelles was that it was beautiful but alot of the same.

I too want to visit the Seychelles though!!! (but my real ideal place to visit in that part of the world would be the Maldives!!)

Craig,

Thanks for the review, it has reassured me about the Cloud.

Can you inform me who were the Captain, Cruise Director, Cruise Consultant and Maitre'D and if you know if they will still be onboard in a few weeks time please.

Thanks

Craig,

Thanks for the review, it has reassured me about the Cloud.

Can you inform me who were the Captain, Cruise Director, Cruise Consultant and Maitre'D and if you know if they will still be onboard in a few weeks time please.

Thanks

Hi Swindy, Buoy Wonder

Here's what I recall regarding the crew...

• Captain...I don't recall but I do know that he's on vacation now. He disembarked at Cape Town
  • Hotel Director: Hubert (from Austria). Don't know his plans.
  • Cruise Director: Steve Lewis who gets off on 04JAN to be replaced by the inimitable, the incomparable Judie Abbott
  • Cruise Consultant: Teresa Binding who should be on for awhile
  • Maitre D: Hedi (from Tunisia...don't recall his surname). I don't know his plans.

All were excellent to sail with!

Craig, always enjoy your reviews so much. Thanks for another great one.

I also have looked at Seychelles and Africa a long time, and I just booked the combo for Christmas, 2009. I feel better about this than just Seychelles only. It was no more expensive (not saying much) than the Caribbean Christmas, 2009 one, so we did it, but I have never done this area before due to the horrific air. I hope to get points by then for at least one decent ticket.

Hi Jane,

I was on the Silver Whisper, Mombasa to Mombasa in 2002 with a pre-cruise safari in Kenya. We visited Mahe, Pralin, La Digue and Zanzibar. I really enjoyed it and it's been my favorite cruise itinerary so far! This is when Silversea was offering 110% single supplements though (I went by myself). If you've held off this long, you might want to continue to wait it out and see if Silversea starts offering them again. I think once the Seabourn Odyssey and Silver Dawn are launched there might be more of a push to fill suites. If you want to go ahead and splurge and it's something you're interested in, do book a pre- or post-cruise safari. Like you said, it's a real b*tch getting there from the US and since you'll be in the neighborhood and all...

Good luck!

Bechi

I'm CAShipman's partner and wanted to give an example about how great the staff were. We often bring wine onboard, and one night the Hotel Director and his guest were dining at the table behind us. We did not finish the bottle, and shared a glass of the wine with the Hotel Director and a glass for his guest. The next day, we ran into the Hotel Director and he said "Do not bring a bottle tonight; I will supply the wine." At his direction, the sommelier brought us a bottle of a wonderful 1999 burgundy. Just one example of the hospitality that pervades the ship.

Bechi, am glad to hear you enjoyed that itinerary. We just signed up for that Christmas 2009 cruise that includes those ports. It is a long ways, so I hope it is worth it.

Can you believe we're "sitting" here talking about cruises two years away?!?!?! We booked Singapore to Sydney on the Whisper for Dec 2009 while we were aboard the Cloud last week. I had a good laugh when the the cruise consultant's computer calculated that the cruise being booked is 700+ days away. :D

Craig, you traveled after us. I only could waitlist on the ship. Also, you got your onboard credit, I will have to wait and see. Since I booked a segment of the world cruise and a Christmas cruise, I don't hold much hope.

I think SS has a big head right now that they are so booked up. With all the new ships coming on the luxury lines, I hope some deals will come for all of us.

I love having something to look forward to 2 years out, and evidentally a lot of people do. Your itinerary looks good.

CASHIPman: We have just returned home from our own cruise and post-cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale and are trying to write our own report bit by bit over the next few days. It is a joy to read your concise and informative report. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.

Well I went ahead and booked the Seychelles cruise, Feb. 7-14, Mahe to Mahe. It cost me as much for one week as my two week Caribbean cruise was going to cost on Seabourn. :eek: However, I've been to the Caribbean three times....and I've been trying to get to the Seychelles for, oh, about 20 years now. I figure I'd better do it while I can!

So I'm jumping ship so to speak, Seabourn to Silversea *smile*...looking forward to checking out a new line and finally, finally, getting to one of my dream destinations. Thank you to all for your input, and I hope to see some CCers on my cruise.

Jane :)

Happy New Year to All!

Jane, how wonderful and exciting for you! I will be anxiously awaiting to hear all about it since our far, far away cruise of 12/09 will spend 4 days in Seychelles. I am going to be curious to hear all about how you got over there and how wonderful it is.

That trip is not very far off at all.

Well I went ahead and booked the Seychelles cruise, Feb. 7-14, Mahe to Mahe. It cost me as much for one week as my two week Caribbean cruise was going to cost on Seabourn. :eek: However, I've been to the Caribbean three times....and I've been trying to get to the Seychelles for, oh, about 20 years now. I figure I'd better do it while I can!

So I'm jumping ship so to speak, Seabourn to Silversea *smile*...looking forward to checking out a new line and finally, finally, getting to one of my dream destinations. Thank you to all for your input, and I hope to see some CCers on my cruise.

Jane :)

Happy New Year to All!

Hi Jane--you will like Silversea--we have sailed on the Wind and Shadow, and they are both great--food and service are great--not quite as good as Seabourn, but this is offset by a prettier ship, and a slightly better suite. We have a SS cruise booked next November L.A. to L.A. Mexican Riviera. We like the West coast departures, and SS has many more than SB. Have a Happy New Year! Don

Hey, guess what? I found out the 11 day cruise following the one I booked goes to two islands in the Maldives. Guess what I did? Yep...added it on. So I am looking at an 18 day cruise to the Seychelles and the Maldives, ending up in India. How exotic. This promises to be the trip of a lifetime. Just wanted to let you know since you mentioned the Maldives (which is also a place I've had my eye on). That I know of, not one single cruise line other than Silversea does both. The only other ships I found sailing the Maldives are scuba liveaboards. And...ahem....they don't have formal nights.

Don (LaPaloma).....I really hope to see you and Lola sometime. One thing I regret about meeting such wonderful people is having to leave them and then going our separate ways!

Happy New Year to everyone....I can't believe the blessings God is sending my way....may He shine His grace on you all in 2008 (I hope you don't mind my saying that).

Jane

Happy New Year everyone! Just back from the Shadow and catching up on my CC reading. We have been to the Seychelles and loved it. It is not touristy in a sightseeing sense, but if you like to be in the water, snorkel and sit in some beach bars...it is terrific. We will go again next year. We are also booked for the Maldives on one of those voyages.

Craig, we are also booked into 2010!! Why not? Love to know where I am going. Enjoy.

Voyages 2904 and 2905 February of 2009? Or are you planning the Seychelles later in the year?

I am also considering dropping voyage 2905 (which goes on to the Maldives from the Seychelles) and adding on Mombasa to Mahe with a precruise Safari. That is if I can figure out how to afford it.

Funny....the first time I ever heard of Seabourn, they had an ad in Conde Nast Traveler for this itinerary. It was about 20 years ago. Now they don't do the route anymore but Silversea does!

Jane :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

Thanks for your great review. We have looked at this itinerary for over three years now and just booked it for February 10, 2011!!!

Your review played a large part in our finally taking the plunge and flying to Mauritius in February.

We look forward to both our first trip to Africa and our first Silversea cruise.

Thanks for your help.

Archived