First cruise, need advice re: excursions!

nulf4me

We are going on our first cruise 2/16/08, sailing on the Holiday out of Mobile! We are soooooooooooooo excited and can't wait!

My husband would like to go snorkeling in Cozumel and we would like to do the submarine excursion. It doesn't look like the snorkeling will fit into the schedule with any of the scheduled excursions if we do the submarine. We also want to shop!!!

My questions are these:

1. If you have done both and had your choice, would you choose snorkeling or the submarine?

2. Are there are private snorkeling excursions he could do after the submarine?

I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Karen

We are going on our first cruise 2/16/08, sailing on the Holiday out of Mobile! We are soooooooooooooo excited and can't wait!

My husband would like to go snorkeling in Cozumel and we would like to do the submarine excursion. It doesn't look like the snorkeling will fit into the schedule with any of the scheduled excursions if we do the submarine. We also want to shop!!!

My questions are these:

1. If you have done both and had your choice, would you choose snorkeling or the submarine?

I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Karen

For me, I prefer being on my own and with as little hand-holding as possible. I really hate formal tours, I much prefer to guide myself. I would snorkel, but you may be different, so really, you are the only one who can answer the first question.

For the second, you do not have to stick to the cruise line-sponsored activities, there are plenty of private snorkeling excursions available at every port, just look around, these boards are great for finding stuff like that. I'm also a first timer, so can't recommend anything, but that's just my thoughts.

I have not done the submarine, but I have done a "semi sub" at Montego Bay. I did NOT like it!! It was extremely stuffy, hot, and crowded in the part where you sit along the windows and look out into the water. People were using barf bags to throw up, because it was so stuffy in there. The windows were cloudy, and visibility was not that good. Of all the excursions I've taken on 4 cruises (That would amount to 14 excursions), that was by far, my least favorite....and the only one I would NEVER do again. However, in all fairness, the submarine in Cozumel might be a lot better.

My DH and I love to snorkel and do it any chance we get. One of our favorite excursions was the Carnival jeep, lighthouse, snorkel tour. We drove "our own" jeep (with another couple in the jeep) and drove, caravan style in a group, to the southern tip of the island. There, we went to Punta Sur ecological park. We ended up snorkeling over a mile off the beach. They also fed us an authentic Mexican meal. It was great!

You can also go to Chankanaab Park and snorkel on your own. I do recommend that you snorkel off the beach, rather than from a boat, if you are beginners. That way, you can take your time and learn at your own pace. You can rent snorkel equipment at Chankanaab Park.

Thank you so much for the replies......I have posted questions before on CC and can never get an answer!

I think we have decided, time permitting, to do the submarine excursion in the morning and either shop or go to somewhere like Paradise Beach in the afternoon. My husband said he would rather shop than snorkel, but we are going to play it by ear! If we get in shopping in Progreso, we may not feel the need in Cozumel. I don't think there's a whole lot to do in Progreso, though, from what I read.

Again, thanks!

Karen

I have not snorkeled, and do not like idea of being closed up in a sub, so when we were in Cozumel a few years ago, we went out on own, walking, shopping and having some drinks.. checking out freebees too... I prefer the shopping there..

have fun whatever u decide!!!

Thank you so much for the replies......I have posted questions before on CC and can never get an answer!

I think we have decided, time permitting, to do the submarine excursion in the morning and either shop or go to somewhere like Paradise Beach in the afternoon. My husband said he would rather shop than snorkel, but we are going to play it by ear! If we get in shopping in Progreso, we may not feel the need in Cozumel. I don't think there's a whole lot to do in Progreso, though, from what I read.

Again, thanks!

Karen

Karen,

Progreso is a neat place to shop. Things tend to be a little cheaper there, but as far as thinking that there isn't a lot to do is a misconception. I also thought that this place was lacking in things too do, but after 3 trips and another in the works, I must confess that I was wrong.

Cozumel is THE place to snorkel. If you want to snorkel from shore, Chankanabb or Dzul Ha are the places to go on your own. There are several good boat trips and if you want an all around good day you can try Palmar Beach Club at Dzul Ha or Playa Palancar. We have done and enjoyed both. The great thing about Coz is the fact that nearly everything can be had for the price of a taxi fare.

My questions are these:

Thanks,

Karen

After 2 trips to Cozumel, here's what I'd suggest. Do both, you'll have time.

If you're worrined about booking private tours, and want to eliminate the fear of getting left behind, book the second submarine tour through the ship. Ours was at 12:00 pm. If everything stays on schedule, it will leave you enough time to do the sub tour, shop some, and still get back on the ship in plenty of time. If for some reason the sub tour schedule slides then the ship would have to wait for you.

We had a great time on the sub. No stuffiness, barf bags, or whatever.

Book the snorkeling (private or ship based on your comfort level) for morning and grab a cab as soon as you get off the ship. A 15 minute cab ride will get you to any of the recommended sites (Dzu, Chakk, etc.) and you should have at least a couple of hours to snorkel.

We did Paradise Beach (swim), Margaritaville, Atlantis Submarine, and shopping on our 8:00 ~ 4:00 layover in mid-November.

Archived