hair braiding in any of these ports?

lowestar

Hi,

I'd probably like to get a few braids in each of my girls' hair on our cruise in late January. We are doing the partial transit through the Panama Canal. Our itinerary is Aruba, Cartagena, Limon (Costa Rica), Panama Canal (we won't be getting off), and Oco Rios. Is there any hair braiding in these ports besides Ocho Rios?

Ocho Rios is our last port, but I thought if there was something earlier I might have them done earlier.

Tara

I remember someone asked about hair braiding a couple of months ago...

First, hair braiding hurts for a couple of days. I wouldn't have it done to a child until the child is old enought to decide for themselves whether or not it's worth the pain.

Second, I'ts been rumored to be a way to spread head lice. I don't know for sure if this is true, but I wouldn't take that chance while on vacation.

I can't remember some of the other negative aspects of hair braiding. You might want to do a forum search to find the original post.

My DD had 25 braids put in (@ $2 per braid) on the beach in St. Thomas. She said it didn't hurt at all (she's 8) and she never complained. No lice either. This was done the beginning of December, and they still look great.

I can't address your specific ports, but if your DD wants it, I say go for it. I have been to Aruba several times, and there are always young girls in the airport who got braids on the island. Bring your own comb if you are worried about lice! You can't worry about everything!

My girls had a few braids in Barbados on the cruise we went on with them in 2006. They weren't bothered by them, but they were just individual braids. That is all I would plan to do again if we did them again.

I've been to Aruba before, and with your reminder, I remembered that they do braiding there too! That is one of our first ports, and we aren't there that long. No plans to do an excursion, so that might be something kind of fun for them.

I wouldn't be able to leave a full head of braids in their hair for a really long time because my oldest daughter has a dance show to do a few weeks after we get back. She has to have a bun for that. That's why I would probably just go for a few ... or maybe the ones just at the top that end up looking like a hair band.

Thanks!

I don't think it hurts! My daughter had her "crown" done in St Lucia when she was 5 - and she is the first one to complain about anything - it took about an hour and she fell asleep while they were doing it!

I read somewhere that the lice can be caused by the combs that are used and some people bring their own - I was not organized enough for that, but did not have any problems.

I will say if you see it in one of your early ports, go for it - we were on a 10 day cruise in Nov, and I wanted to wait until the end of the cruise to do it - and on our last port day couldn't find anywhere to do it - and my daughter was really disppointed. I had it in my head that the hair place on the ship would do it - I think some do - but I asked on our ship (the Norwegian Pearl) and they looked at me like I was crazy. : )

I seem to remember seeing a link to a newspaper article just a month or two ago. The article told of the dangers of getting the cornrows. Some women and children have lost hair (had partial baldness) due to getting these braids. I would definitely research these (google for braids and baldness, I would imagine) as you might decide not to risk putting your daughters through this.

My daughter has had her hair braided at least 4 times in various countries. She says it does hurt a little, but it's worth it. I'd bring a comb. The last time she had it done, in Cancun, the woman also used a needle to attach the beads. In retrospect, we never should have let her do that. So I'd bring a needle, just in case. She never had a problem with hair falling out, but has gotten sunburned between the beads so remind your daught to put sunscreen on her head.

Archived