Roll Call: MS Glushkov, 8 Sept 2008

Tenngal

• 2 weeks later...

Travljunky,

Unfortunately, no. I'm pretty much going on blind faith for this one! However, from what I've gathered, these river boats are chartered by several companies (like Viking or Uniworld), so the boats used are the same, only the tour operator is different. I don't know if all passengers on my cruise will be for just one tour operator or not. Not that it matters to me, anyway!

Are you looking at the cruise tours offered by West Univ. Travel/Journeys Unlimited? That's who I've booked with. I found it offered a big savings on the costs with the bigger operators. If it's any consolation, I did a web search, and found no significant negatives about the boat or the tour operators.

• 2 weeks later...

Travljunky--

I hope you have a great time! When are you and your partner going? I'm going solo on this trip. My regular travel buddy's not keen on this one. I travel solo as much as with others, so no problem for me. (It means I get extra room in the tiny cabin, anyway!)

Studebaker--

Sorry if I offended you. I'm just really excited about seeing Russia. I'm not affiliated with the travel company mentioned, nor with any other. I'll be more careful about what I type in the future...

(I hope this doesn't double-post--I waited and waited and nothing. So, I logged out and tried this reply again.)

Going on the same cruise as you are. Sept 9th Moscow to St. Petersburg. Let's hope more people are going to see this and post. I have been doing alot of research on the city of Moscow. Was trying to figure out how to get from airport to ship....there doesn't seem to be a taxi as an option. Still looking though. :D

Travljunky--

That's great! I look forward to meeting you and your partner. I chose the Moscow to St. Pete itinerary because I wanted to finish up in St. Pete, and maybe have a little more time to see that city at the tail end of our trip. I thought about staying an extra night in St. Pete but...I saw that my return flight stops over in Paris...on a Thursday...I couldn't resist, so I'm spending three nights in Paris en route back home.:)

Have you made air arrangments yet? I think that our tour company offers a transfer from the airport to the river port, but I can't remember at the moment. If not, or if it's cheaper and we arrive in Moscow about the same time, would y'all like to share a taxi?

I'll send Dasha an e-mail, so she can let others travelling with us know they can chat here.

Travljunky--

I just heard from Dasha. There is a transfer from the airport to the river port, and it costs $65. I've asked for a reservation for that. I've heard that it can be very confusing for a newcomer in Moscow to navigate even the taxis, so I'm playing it safe and going with the arranged transfer.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads-up on the transfer. I have been doing alot of home work. Where are you located? I'm in L.A. and the best deal I could find on airfare was $1044.00 round trip. Have you booked airfare yet? We are going to stay on after the cruise and see more of St. Petersburg but havn't decided the best way to go with that. Book and whole tour for the weekend or individual trips to each place we want to go. What do you think?

Best Wishes,

Annette

also heard from Dasha and she said visa prices have gone up! I told her that was going to cut into my Vodka budget :eek: She just laughed :D and told me the best Vodka to drink while there. She also recommended a hotel but it turns out it's WAY out of my budget, so I'm still looking into that. I want a well located hotel that's not outragous. Still looking.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Annette...

I've been out of town working, and neglecting my personal e-mail. So, sorry for the delay in finding your post.

I'm in Tennessee. As for air fare, I'm doing this trip on frequent-flyer miles :p , which helped seal the deal for me!

The price you found sounds really good, though. I'd have booked anything at or near $1000. With the ever-rising cost of fuel, you'd probably better snap up that price while you can.

As for hotel prices in Russia...well, Moscow is now about the world's most-expensive city, and St. Pete has got to be close. Have you checked TripAdvisor's site? You can find a lot of good hotel info/prices/reviews there.

As for me, the high hotel prices and my complete lack of familiarity with the Russian language swayed my decision to simply stay with the guided cruise. (Once I've gotten a bit familiar with the terrain via this cruise, I can return for a more-concentrated visit to the city another time.) Plus, Paris is calling and I need a France fix.

What vodka did Dasha recommend? If I can find it around home, I might try an early taste...

Cynthia

Hi, Gillian...

Thanks for joining this thread.

I don't know if they are the same boat or not. But, I can't imagine that there are two with that name. I do know that there can be several tour companies represented on the same cruise and boat, though.

So, assuming that your cruise was on the same Gluskov boat as mine and Travljunky's will be...how was your cruise? Were the accomodations on the boat as good as can be expected? (I'm aware it's not anything like the luxury of a typical cruise ship.) I'll be very interested in your feedback!

Cynthia

Airfare to Russia has gone up $40.00 in the last 3 months,:eek: you are very lucky you can use points to get your flight. We are now rethinking staying past the cruise due to expense,:mad: I'm not sure we can afford it, the dollar is in such bad shape. I do need to purchase flight soon though so will have to make a solid decision. I'll let you know. Thank care.

Insight was the tour organizer and 'in charge' on the boat. Many university groups were onboard and some of us independents. The ship is pretty basic and the food was not good but I am very critical when it comes to food. The ship's crew only speaks Russian in general but the cruise director (so to speak) was great together with her staff. The cabins had 'the whole bathroom is a shower' configuration except maybe in the suites. Actually it worked well and the water pressure was great. You just have to move the faucet from the sink to the wall. All this is typical on the Russian ships. What was fantastic was the tour itself and I would highly recommend Insight. The organization and scheduling was absolutely superb. We ate in hotel restaurants several times and every single tour was included..none of this optional extra nonsense,

We got into all the venues before they opened to the public or after they had closed. We even visited the Armory in the Kremlin before it opened to the public and to be in there and be able to see everyting close up was wonderful. Trip reports can be found on Fodors.com.

We would do this trip again in an instant!!!

Gillian,

Thanks for your input. I'll check out Fodor's as well. I know that the tours are included with the tour company I and Travljunky are using. Having been on several ocean cruises, I find that the inclusion of the shore tours is a very nice perk for river cruising. It wasn't until after I had booked this trip that I found out that some companies do not include the cost of tours. I'm pretty much doing this trip on a shoestring, so I'll take whatever I get as far as food and accomodations go. I'm pretty easy to please at the dinner table, and can sleep about anywhere, too.

Annette/Travljunky--

It might be worth the gamble for you to wait until late June or July before booking your air travel. Gas prices tend to drop shortly after the school's-out-for-summer travel rush. Also, I think some travel web sites offer a "fare-alert" type of service, where you'll be notified of drops in airfares. Also, closer to the travel date, maybe try bidding for air via Priceline??

For the future, do what I do. Get a rewards/airmiles-based credit card, and charge absolutely EVERYTHING you buy on it. (Just don't blow your regular budget.) Those mileage points add up fast, especially with doubled points for groceries and gas!

Looks as if we are going Delta to Moscow with a stop in Atlanta. It is a little more expensive than Aerflot but from what I've heard of that airline it will be worth every penny to avoid some of the horror stories I've read. :eek: The flight cost actually has gone down $40.00 in the last month. I still have not booked flight yet. Can't decide wither to stay 2 or 3 extra days in St. Petersburg.

Annette,

If you're flying out on 9/8/08 at 3:30pm from ATL to Moscow (Delta #46), we'll be on the same flight! If so, later toward our departure date, let's figure out a way to recognize each other before we board!

Gillian,

It's good that only the TV didn't work on Aeroflot!

Cynthia

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to inform I had to cancell the cruise today. The economy has finally gotten the best of my other half and there are just not the finances. I am so disapointed I can't even tell you but I can't afford to pay for both of use to go. Have a great time. Think of me when your there. :(

Travljunky,

:( :( :( :( :(

I'm so sorry we won't get to meet. Perhaps on some future roll call. Let's hope the new U.S. presidency (whomever it may bring) will improve our economy soon thereafter, if not sooner.

I'll keep you both in my good thoughts, in hope that your fortunes improve and allow you to rebook this trip!

Hi everyone!

We're going to be on the M/S Glushkov with the cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg on 8 July 2008. Of course I like to know if anyone else on this board is.

If anyone has any questions please let me know, I'll take your list (:) ) along and will answer them on this thread after my cruise, but still long before yours.

Archived