Help! Flights booked through Carnival

ahotcouple

We booked our flights through Carnival and to my surprise depart our home city (Ottawa) the same day the cruise leaves. We get into FLL direct from Ottawa at 11:30 and the cruise leaves at 4:00pm.

With the weather the way it is in the Northeast with snow storms etc, does Carnival not normally overnight anyone flying in from Canada/Northeast US during the winter months?

I am really worried that if there are any delays (we cruise in February) we will not get to FLL in time.

IF the flights were delayed and we happen to miss our cruise, is Carnival liable to fly us-at their expense- to the next port? We bought the airfare through Carnival.

Anyone who can provide any input with their experiences would be much appreciated.

THANKS!

I am a Canadian as well (Calgary) and I am going on the Triumph out of Miami in Jan 08. I have also booked a cruise/ air package and was told that we needed to come in a day early incase of any air delays. We fly in on the 25th and sail on the 26th. If I were you I would contact you pvp and ask them why you are not coming in early. If you are more then 45 days out you may be able to get it changed. (My air package includes the hotel for the night as well)

For some reason, I think it's only folks from out west that they require to fly in a day early. Absolutely make sure you have the Carnival hotline number with you that comes with your docs. If you encounter a problem, call them and they will work with you to either get you an alternate way to FLL, or get you to your first port of call, in case you do actually miss the ship. DH had that happen and they flew them on to San Juan and put them up at the Hilton to wait for the ship to arrive. Sometimes the airline will do this for you as well.

We used to book our air through Carnival, but it just got to be too nerve wracking since we too cruise in the winter. Plus you usually save some money booking it on your own, and you're there with time to spare. Good luck!

We booked our flights through Carnival and to my surprise depart our home city (Ottawa) the same day the cruise leaves. We get into FLL direct from Ottawa at 11:30 and the cruise leaves at 4:00pm.

With the weather the way it is in the Northeast with snow storms etc, does Carnival not normally overnight anyone flying in from Canada/Northeast US during the winter months? No, they try and avoid overnights as much as possible; if there are city pair flights available the same day, that's what you will get. Typical weather does not come into consideration in booking flights.

I am really worried that if there are any delays (we cruise in February) we will not get to FLL in time.

IF the flights were delayed and we happen to miss our cruise, is Carnival liable to fly us-at their expense- to the next port? We bought the airfare through Carnival. No, Carnival is not liable. This is why insurance is offered. If you don't already have it, you can still purchase it to cover this sort of travel interruption.

Anyone who can provide any input with their experiences would be much appreciated.

THANKS!

Please, go to the Carnival site and read the Passage Contract. Booking air via the cruiseline is no different than booking it at any travel agent, and that is all Carnival is doing, booking your air. They are not obligated to hold the ship, get you to the next port, etc. Then go to the Cruise Air forum on these boards and read all the sticky notes, especially the one titled Cruise Air and Air Deviation Explanation.

There is little you can do at this point for this cruise, except make sure you have travel insurance and make contingency plans. I agree with the suggestion above to ask if a day before deviation is still available to you. That would give you some peace of mind. In the future, book your own air.

mgades, who is coming in from Calgary, was probably booked on a forced overnight only because there are no flights that arrive in time, despite being told it was because of the potential weather delay. The only flight that arrives before 2pm requires a midnight departure from Calgary.

Carnival is flying us down the Friday night before, Montreal to FLL. They called us and asked if it was ok to do this because they were overbooked on Saturday. I guess they had no more flights to Miami available. They gave us the free night at the airport Hilton in FLL and are paying our transfers (normal when you book air with them, I believe.) I'm not complaining - this is an ideal scenario and our direct(!) flights are on Air Canada. :)

Archived