Caravan in the Sand Camel Ride

Benjamin1025

I'm interested in taking the Royal Carribean "Caravan in the Sand" Excursion while on our cruise, but would like to get some feedback on it from anyone who has done this. Particularly, I want to know how long of a Camel Ride it is (time and distance) and if you ride through open desert. Do you get to wear those "Lawrence of Arabia" style hats? What else did you do on the excursion? Was it worth the extra money to ride the camels to the pyramids?

We did not do that particular excursion, but almost all the camel rides around the pyramids start from the same high plateau. You can check out some pictures at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

In our case, the camel ride was only out into the desert about maybe 300 yards and then turn around and come back. It cost us $5 each! But there were other offers, for longer rides. Some of them actually went down, all around the pyramids, and back.

Frankly, after you get on and get your picture taken the main experience is over!! I really don't know that there is much point to a longer ride.

Those Arabian headdresses are available all over from vendors for a couple of bucks. I bet if you tip the camel driver, he will let you wear his! Baksheesh gets you almost anything in Egypt!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Never heard of the camel ride you are discribing, but on an overnite to the pyramids last month, we took a camel ride from the plateau down to the great pyramids, about 20-25 minutes for $12. It was plenty for everyone.

Not sure if I would want to spend a couple of hours on a camel after that wild ride. :)

Archived