New to NCL; Need advice on cabin choice

Sandyshore

I'd like to book the Jade for a Feb 2009 eastern Caribbean cruise. Have been looking at pricing through Internet sites. Cabin availability in my price range (BC) keeps coming up as Deck 9 , all the way forward, e.g. 9006, 9506. I'm wondering if anyone has an informed opinion about those cabins --- any reason to avoid them due to view? nearby laundry facilities? other sources of noise? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

If you go to ncl.com and search for your preferred cruise you can then select cabin type and have the option of entering any cabin number to see if it is available. NCL only shows up to 6 available cabins and tends to show those available from the front of the ship backwards. Most online agencies link to the NCL site for available cabins so the 6 available closest to the front of the ship will be those that are shown as available there as well.

Oh -- ok, thanks -- I see how it works. So there may be many cabins in my category available. Perhaps it's too early for me to be booking? I've read posts from cruisers who say they book and then cancel. That doesn't involve the loss of a deposit? Is that a strategy for watching for lower fares? Sorry for the string of questions. I'm trying not to be clueless about this process. One other question...I see references to upsells on NCL and not sure what that is.

upsells are when the cruiseline trys to move someone, already booked, to a higher catagory of cabins...so they can resell their cabin. it's usually done when the higher level of cabins aren't selling as fast as they like.

the rate is something inbetween what you paid for your original cabin and the rate the new cabin is going for. it's something that "can" happen but don't plan of it. same with being upgraded for free, don't plan of it. but if you are one of the very,very, very few that it happens to, be happy.

we watch the website, when the prices to go where we are comfortable, we call and book direct. that way if i ask about a room in another location,then what is being shown, they can help me.

just remember, no matter what you pay..someone else has paid more and someone has paid less..just pick a price that works for your budget and go with it. prices can change weekly or daily, depending on how the ship is selling. if the ship is selling well, prices will get higher and higher. if the ship is slow in selling, they could lower prices for new bookings...it will turn you grey to worry about it too much.

for normal cabins, up to a certain point..you can cancel without penalty. best to read the NCL.com website...go to the bottom of the page and click on "site map". there you can find the link to some of that information with less trouble.

Archived