My wife wants to change cruise ships after i've already payed in full??!!! HELP??!!!

JDubSC

What a shame - you need to convince her that she will love flying! AOS is my favorite ship. My DH hates to fly - but his love of the southern Caribbean itinerary on AOS outweighs his fear of flying. You will miss a great cruise if you change it. If you can't change it, I'm volunteering to go in her place!;)

Suzanne

My sympathies to your wife; hopefully you will support her; anxiety is a nasty disorder and can get a lot worse than not wanting to fly. So, I would call RCI, explain the situation and ask if you can move your booking to XXX cruise leaving from Miami. Generally RCI is very accommodating if possible.

Good Luck and very best wishes for 2008.

Kathy:)

I guess I'm in a similar, though not quite as bad, situation as you. Last week we booked a May '08 cruise for the family on CCL Glory, only to find out this week that we have friends sailing the RCI Mariner of the Seas during roughly the same time.

I suppose we can cancel and re-book, but I'm not sure since it's a different cruise line (although it was booked via an independent TA).

You should be able to cancel your Carnival cruise and get your money back, but it depends on your TA. Some TAs charge cancellation fees so you need to check with your TA.

You're S.O.L. man. You're way too close to try and change anything. If you were 90+ days out that would be one thing, but you're too close. She needs to just get the calm re-assurance that everything is okay and just suck it up. Its only a few hours and she'll be drunk on the high seas in no time.:D

-John

My sympathies to your wife; hopefully you will support her; anxiety is a nasty disorder and can get a lot worse than not wanting to fly. So, I would call RCI, explain the situation and ask if you can move your booking to XXX cruise leaving from Miami. Generally RCI is very accommodating if possible.

Good Luck and very best wishes for 2008.

Kathy:)

I'd support her as well. Support her in getting over her fear of flying. What do you do if God forbid someone passes away and you need to fly? Or some other family event that requires that she flies? Canceling a vacation won't help the situation, it just prolongs it. Get her professional help.

For those that say get a new wife, tell her to grow up, etc., having a fear is not so easy to deal with so that is not really the best advice for him. I too hate flying and get scared when any little bump happens on the plane. BUT I do fly and remain calm as the vacation is worth the short plane ride. But like I said, a fear is real and shouldn't be taken to lightly.

. But like I said, a fear is real and shouldn't be taken to lightly.

Yes it is a real fear, but she should have brought it up before final payment and purchase of airline tickets. My mother had a fear of cruising and backed out of the first cruise I booked for her, but she was kind enough to do it before final payment was due so we weren't out any money.

For those that say get a new wife, tell her to grow up, etc., having a fear is not so easy to deal with so that is not really the best advice for him. I too hate flying and get scared when any little bump happens on the plane. BUT I do fly and remain calm as the vacation is worth the short plane ride. But like I said, a fear is real and shouldn't be taken to lightly.

Agreed....to a point. When is it incumbent upon the wife to tell the husband this...10 days before the cruise.

Yes it is a real fear, but she should have brought it up before final payment and purchase of airline tickets. My mother had a fear of cruising and backed out of the first cruise I booked for her, but she was kind enough to do it before final payment was due so we weren't out any money.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Something should have been said BEFORE final payment. I feel bad for the fear of flying, but again I dont because they had plenty of time to say something. My wife doesnt handle well to flying, but she just "takes it."

If your wife doesn't want to fly, either drive down and pay up for the extra expense or cancel and pay up for the extra expense. Simple as that. You were willing to shell out the money for the cruise in order to have a good time. Be willing to lose the money for the sake of your wife.

Her fear is real and it's up to her to decide if she wants to do anything about it. Let her decide how it should be handled and be happy with her decision and move on. It's only money.

We always drive everywhere, all cruises etc. But....the last cruise we were on, after Thanksgiving this year we flew and it was so nice, we were not crabby and tired from driving, after the cruise it was so nice being home without all the hassle and the tiredness postcruise, I would never do it any other way now!!

I am very hesitant (scared) about flying, my husband is the pro at flying I just made myself go!!! It was a little harder for our 3 boys, they flew when they were small (toddlers) so it was more or less a new experience for them, but they also appreciated flying vs. driving!!

Think of it that way, so much easier!! ....our family vote is now that we have flown we will never do it any other way.

Good Luck!!!

My wife wants to change cruise ships after i've already payed in full??!!! We are planning on going to the AOS on 1/20/08. She has never flown in an airplane and is trying to sell me on the idea of driving to Miami and cruising out of their (11 hour drive) vs 3.5 hour plane ride??:confused::confused::eek::eek::mad::mad: What are the policy's about changing ships? Thanks

Tell her there is probally a thousand people out here that will gladly go in her place. My husband would tell me, "you want to drive, drive, I'll meet you at the port." Geez, she had plenty of time to think about it, its kinda late in the game now.

Tell her there is probally a thousand people out here that will gladly go in her place. My husband would tell me, "you want to drive, drive, I'll meet you at the port." Geez, she had plenty of time to think about it, its kinda late in the game now.

I don't think driving is going to solve the problem for him regarding this cruise. Can't drive to San Juan !!!

True, you got me.

Agreed....to a point. When is it incumbent upon the wife to tell the husband this...10 days before the cruise.

Yes, but guess it was hard for her but yes, she should have.

As someone who is terrified of flying, and will only do so if there is no other option, I understand how your wife feels.

Have her go see her doctor, they can give her Xanax (or similar) to help with her with her anxiety. It really does help :).

Good luck!

He stated they were flying to Miami so I assumed that's where they plan on getting on the ship.

No, his original cruise leaves from San Juan. She is trying to get him to cancel that one in exchange for one that leaves out of Miami.

Um, maybe the wife was trying to send him a message by losing the cruise documents to begin with?

Sounds like more problems than meets the eye...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=678524

Hmm you could have a point with that! But also could she maybe just want the push to go? I completely understand uncontrollable fears but if losing the cruise docs had anything to do with it or just wanting to switch at the last minute it sounds like she's been trying to work up the courage to go and may just want support and a loving push to try it. Now though if she survives the first flight but then worries the whole week about the flight back it may not be worth going at all. I would think talking to her and truly letting her decide what she wants to do and then be ready to do that, even if it means incurring extra fees. If though you present her with the fees in a matter of fact way and say "we can switch, and I am happy to do so, but it will cost $XXX to do so" then she may be compelled to stay with the original plan or it still may be worth it to do it.

Or you could book 2 more cruises - one starting in Miami with the first stop in San Juan where you could get off and wait for yours (yeah I know the Jones Act and all that would make this impossible) and then after your cruise wait for the next cruise in and hop on that one back to Miami, LOL :) Not doable but would certainly be fun!

Hmm you could have a point with that! But also could she maybe just want the push to go? I completely understand uncontrollable fears but if losing the cruise docs had anything to do with it or just wanting to switch at the last minute it sounds like she's been trying to work up the courage to go and may just want support and a loving push to try it. Now though if she survives the first flight but then worries the whole week about the flight back it may not be worth going at all. I would think talking to her and truly letting her decide what she wants to do and then be ready to do that, even if it means incurring extra fees. If though you present her with the fees in a matter of fact way and say "we can switch, and I am happy to do so, but it will cost $XXX to do so" then she may be compelled to stay with the original plan or it still may be worth it to do it.

I doubt it will matter to her, the money.

She first figured if she "lost" the tickets, they wouldn't be able to go. Now she is saying, let's switch ships because her husband found out you don't even need tickets to get on the ship.

Next she'll misplace the passports or bc so they cannot go.

If I were him, I'd be like ok fine you don't want to go, we won't go. Do it now and get at least some of your money back.

And never plan a vacation that involves airline travel again with her. But I'd be damned if I were forced to never go anywhere I wanted to fly to. I'd just find someone else to travel with me and leave her home.

To be sentenced to never travel out of driving distance for the rest of my life would not make me a happy spouse.

I understand fears. But there are medications that she can take to help her deal with it all. She needs to go to a doctor tho.

She has got to go on the trip. I developed a fear of flying suddenly after traveling by air extensively, even to Europe. However, was forced to fly to accompany my DH on a trip provided by his place of employment. I learned to imagine that if "my time is to go while on a plane, then it was my time to go".

Once she is in San Juan, she will have the time of her life. I still become apprehensive about traveling not due to fear of flying but because of anxiety over leaving whatever is at home, be it children, a job, pet, or whatever. I can guarantee that your wife will adapt and possibly even become addicted to travel as I have, although I still find reasons to worry prior to departure. One look at the palm tree's, ocean, beautiful ship, diversified cultires, she will be cured. I pray when I fly, and don't mean to insult anyone, but that is what I do.

I guess I'm in a similar, though not quite as bad, situation as you. Last week we booked a May '08 cruise for the family on CCL Glory, only to find out this week that we have friends sailing the RCI Mariner of the Seas during roughly the same time.

I suppose we can cancel and re-book, but I'm not sure since it's a different cruise line (although it was booked via an independent TA).

I think my travel agent told me that RCCL refunds 100% up to 60 days prior to sailing date.

Archived