insurance question

Savannah

I have no idea and can't quote you any type of rate. Let's just say that is is very very and add one more VERY expensive if a passenger must me airlifted by helicopter off a cruise ship. Some would also depend on how far you were out at sea when this happened.

For an educated guess though, I would say that it would be in the 5 figure range.

I am pricing out cruise ins. wanted to know how expensive is it to be

air lifted off ship in case of health emergency? You have the opt. to purchase

different levels and I have no idea how much it would cost. Does anyone

know?

Good question. I hope you get some specific answers but I tend to agree with Toto. I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that I've seen 5 figures thrown out on this board by someone who had to do that.

A friend of mine's father had a heat attack on a ship and no trip insurance. It cost them over one hundred thousand dollars to airlift him to a Mexican Hospital and have him treated for a week then flown home. It was a horrible experience and he almost died.

It cost ~$10,000 to air evac a pax from Cozumel, Mx to Houston, Tx. That was five years ago, so you might multiply X2 or 3.

There's probably not a great deal of difference in premiums for the air evac coverages. The insuremytrip web site allows you to enter varying coverages so you can see the premium differentials.

And as Toto mentioned, if you are far from land a helicopter can't help.

I would think that for most emergencies the ships medical center could stabilize the patient until the ship reaches a port. Such as stop bleeding, immobolize a break, etc.

If you are medivac off the ship by the U.S. Coast Guard via helicopter, there is no cost to you. They may or may not transport your spouse along with you off the ship. They will transport you to the nearest main land hospital. They can travel 150 miles out and 150 miles back to land. If you are beyound 150 miles from main land United States, I don't really know if you can get a medivac helicopter, the ship may just pull into the nearst port depending on your condition. If you are transported from a foreign country back to the United States, the cost varies by the type of transportation from being transported on a commerical airline taking up multipule seat for a strecher to a medical air ambulance. Seeing how I was transported off by the U.S. Coast Guard on our last cruise, our ploicy for our upcoming cruise has a value of $200,000.00 for medical transportation. You could contact your local hospital to see if they have a medivac service to get an idea of cost?

Archived