Abandoned by AAA Island Tours

kruznkanuk

Our transatlantic cruise on Galaxy ended Dec 22 in SJ and we had booked over the internet an all-day tour with Juan of AAA Island Tours. It was pre-paid by credit card, and he was to pick us up at the Pan American Pier at 8:30 and take us (with luggage) to Arecibo and the Caves, dropping us at our hotel in Condado about 5 pm.

We were there at 8:30 promptly (8th people off the ship) and waiting over an hour, calling his office number every 10 minutes, and he never showed. One of us wandered the entire pier area and parking lot looking for him, and we talked to a lot of the tourism people and guides and there was noone who had seen him. He claims he was there at 8:30 and waited until noon with a sign with our name on it... but either he was at the wrong pier or he is just not truthful.

This was very upsetting at the time, as we stood with our luggage & our kids trying to decide what to do for ages, and had only the one day in PR. It is now even more upsetting that he is refusing to refund the pre-paid $270. We got his name through the official PR tourism website so will also let them know.

I would hate to see anyone else get caught this way and wanted to warn you cruisers out there! Unfortunately it seems like most the PR tour companies want pre-payt by credit card but maybe there is a way around that. So.... tourists beware!:mad:

Our transatlantic cruise on Galaxy ended Dec 22 in SJ and we had booked over the internet an all-day tour with Juan of AAA Island Tours. It was pre-paid by credit card, and he was to pick us up at the Pan American Pier at 8:30 and take us (with luggage) to Arecibo and the Caves, dropping us at our hotel in Condado about 5 pm.

We were there at 8:30 promptly (8th people off the ship) and waiting over an hour, calling his office number every 10 minutes, and he never showed. One of us wandered the entire pier area and parking lot looking for him, and we talked to a lot of the tourism people and guides and there was noone who had seen him. He claims he was there at 8:30 and waited until noon with a sign with our name on it... but either he was at the wrong pier or he is just not truthful.

This was very upsetting at the time, as we stood with our luggage & our kids trying to decide what to do for ages, and had only the one day in PR. It is now even more upsetting that he is refusing to refund the pre-paid $270. We got his name through the official PR tourism website so will also let them know.

I would hate to see anyone else get caught this way and wanted to warn you cruisers out there! Unfortunately it seems like most the PR tour companies want pre-payt by credit card but maybe there is a way around that. So.... tourists beware!:mad:

Call your credit card company IMMEDIATELY and dispute the charge. IF you have any time stamped pictures of all of you waiting on the pier, it would certainly help. He will probably state he was there-if you have pictures that you were also there, he will have to explain why he couldn't find you.

And notify the tourism website. I am about 99% sure through one or the other you will at least get your money back. Good luck and thanks for the heads up!!!

Sorry for your bad experience in San Juan but we had something similar happen to us last May. We booked Ecoaction tours in San Juan to take us kayaking at Fajardo. We were doing this for a post cruise night in San Juan. We booked an expensive hotel in San Juan for that night and both of us used an extra day of vacation at work in order to do it. We found out at 4 pm that they cancelled on us for the night. No prior notice. Two vacation days & a nights hotel cost burnt. I feel for you.

Both of you should contact the Puerto Rico Tourism Company and informed what happened. If the companies are endorsed by the PRTC, they will follow up and the operator MUST return the money, plus there is a possibility that the Government cancel their endorsement and permits.

PRTC, (787) 721-2400 and (787) 999-2100, extension 4000.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I had not yet called the PR Tourism company but did spend some time on the internet verifying that the are the "real" people. So many travel websites look like the official Govt or chamber of commerce sponsored sites but turn out to be a front for a hotel, tour company or real estate outfit. It is good to know these folks are the right ones to contact and I will call them right away after the New Year holiday. I had immediately on our return contacted the credit card company and filed a dispute of charges so hopefully that will recover the $$. AAA Island tours have not responded to our last email asking for the payment back, which is why I decided we should 'go public' with the problem after giving them 4 days to make it good.

Thanks again, posters. We are now focusing on remembering the wonderful parts of our cruise and not this one problem! ;)

Archived