Fun place to eat lunch

singjenn

I will be in Key West with my husband in February 2008. I have been there before but my husband hasn't. The last time I went I went with a friend and we did not eat lunch. We got lost and ran out of time. I am looking for a fun, clean place to eat. I am not interested in conch-type food. Any ideas?

You have lots of options....for a romantic beach front lunch you can take a ferry to Sunset Key and dine at Latitudes. Reservations are usually required and can be made at the Westin resort on Front Street. A&B Lobster House is another good place to eat on the water. Camiles is located just off of the southern end of Duval on Simonton...great food, fun atmosphere. Southernmost Beach Cafe is located at the southern end of Duval...great food and view. Mangoes on Duval is a good and a great place to people watch. You can also check out www.keywestmenu.com for a list of menus. Enjoy!

I like Manoges for lunch. It's right on Duval but set up about six feet so you can overlook the passers-by. Tuna tempura.

http://www.mangoeskeywest.com/

Pjk

THANKYOU SOOOO MUCH!!! That sounds like what I am looking for. I went to there site, but it was under construction. I'll have to check back later. Can you tell me briefly what kind of food they have?:D

THANKYOU SOOOO MUCH!!! That sounds like what I am looking for. I went to there site, but it was under construction. I'll have to check back later. Can you tell me briefly what kind of food they have?:D

I borrowed this from one of the reviews, but I like their conch ceviche and the tempura, both appitizers, and they make a good marguerita.

"They brought out a bread basket with our drinks, with a warm & chewy cuban-style loaf and some kind of honey butter that was super-tasty. For our light meal, my fiance had a soup sampler appetizer (three ramekin-sized servings of a variety of gourmet soups) that he said was delicious, and I had a baja fish pita with veggies (available grilled or lightly breaded) that was equally good, as was my mojito."

And vanilla creme brule for desert!

Pjk

I would suggest having lunch at BO's Fishwagon at Caroline and William. It exemplifies Key West character. He serves fresh fish sandwiches and a selection of seafood and non-seafood items (one of the best cheeseburgers on the island). There are lots of articles and pictures if you Google it.

I would suggest having lunch at BO's Fishwagon at Caroline and William. It exemplifies Key West character. He serves fresh fish sandwiches and a selection of seafood and non-seafood items (one of the best cheeseburgers on the island). There are lots of articles and pictures if you Google it.

I would have recommended BO's, but I figured it might be too "conch-y" for the OP. I was really bummed that BO's was closed on Christmas when I was there.

Blue Heaven was too :(

I don't really know what "conch type food" means except perhaps fritters or chowder. In any case, Buddy had to have Christmas with Holly and give his crew the day off.

I'm of the opinion that one should try local fare.

I don't really know what "conch type food" means except perhaps fritters or chowder. In any case, Buddy had to have Christmas with Holly and give his crew the day off.

I'm of the opinion that one should try local fare.

Me too. I thought fritters and chowder too (or the steak - like the one they serve out at the Rusty Anchor that is to die for). But the OP clearly said conch-"TYPE" food, so to me that means pretty much anything with a local flair, not just something with an actual conch in it.

I read a lot about BO's and it sounded AWESOME...I need to find out when they are open for lunch (darn Fascination leaving at 2:00 :( ). Personally, I love to eat local food...I can get chain-type food (and burgers for that matter!) anywhere! I heard that BO's has the best conch fritters too. We had them once in Jamaica and LOVED them, but I've been making them myself with clams ever since...I'd like to get a hold of the "real thang" again! :)

Of course, my husband's aunt & uncle live in KW, so we're supposed to be meeting them for lunch...their recommendation...I hope it's BO's! LOL

5 days and counting...

Dawn

Of all the words I would use to describe BO's, awesome would not be among them. :D

Buddy will be open during your visit, don't worry.

Mike:)

LOL - well, I heard that it looked like a dive! I am after the food! I eat at dives all the time at home...we have a favorite one in Topsail Island, NC, if any of ya'll ever come north I'll recommend for you too! :)

Thanks!

Dawn

BO's is one of a very few places that does not resell Triton Seafood's conch fritter mix out of plastic buckets. I recommend their sandwiches (Insider Tip: ask for the "special" with any sandwich, and get free hand-cut fresh french fries, normally $2). They also make a nice limeade if you don't want a cold beer. My favorite conch fritters, granted I live here so I don't eat them often, is at the stand next to the Aquarium.

Other good lunch spots are Alonzo's (good buffalo shrimp...HOT!), Conch Republic Seafood (Royal Red Shrimp, if avail) and a Cuban Mix sandwich at Jose's Cantina on White Street. They use the $15 roast pork dinner meat from the night before for the $5 sandwiches the next day. It's a little quiet in there, they aren't super outgoing, but the food is great.

For a very special treat, try Santiago's Bodega on Petronia in Bahama Village at lunch. Amazing menu, great service. Sit outside in a jungle of blooming tropical flowering bushes. Tapas-style menu (a little plate, like a big menu of appetizers). Order three to share, and the white sangria is sweet and delicious.

For a very special treat, try Santiago's Bodega on Petronia in Bahama Village at lunch. Amazing menu, great service.

I could not agree with you more, those guys really run a good restaurant and the sad part is that most cruisers will never see it.

Mike:)

Half Shell IMO is a little overrated, but the peel and eats are fine. In the same spot, and the same owner, is Turtle Kraals, with a more interesting menu and a southwestern influence. Local seafood still very much available but they have a twist in their dishes and really good salads with home made dressings and a large selection of specials every day.

http://www.turtlekraals.com

Archived