buying equipment

pudgy

Hello

I seem to of lost my and dw masks and snorkle.icon8.gif My plan was to buy them in Edmonton Alberta before our cruise. Would it be alot cheaper to buy in Ft. Lauderdale? Also what kind should I look at purchasing and what price . . We plan on doing alot of snorking and some scuba. They would be used only every 2 to 3 years but I do not want cheap ones that always leak.

Thanks for your help

If you have access to a dive shop in Alberta, they may offer "off season" discounts, which would probably not be the case in Ft. Lauderdale...

We purchased some relatively good masks for about $40 USD (regularly $70), and dry snorkels for about $20 USD (regularly $30) last fall during a "end of season" sale...

You could google shops in both places (Alberta & Ft. Lauderdale) to see what the market is looking like.

Divers Direct http://www.diversdirect.com/ has several shops, including one in Ft. Lauderdale. They usually have the best prices in Florida. The prices in their shops are sometimes a little different from those on their website. They are big shops and you might have to ask for assistance with mask selection and fitting.

event.png

whatever you do. dont buy at walmart or a discount house. a reputable dive shop will have the best equipment. yes you'll pay more but you'll get so much more. spend the extra its well worth it for properly fitting equipment that will last a long time, properly cared for of course. and dont forget to rinse it all off with fresh water after salt water use.

We went to a diving shop in Saskatoon that specializes in diving equipment. The salesman took the time to fit us and 'educate' us about what we needed to know...The mask and snorkel was $59.00. We are flying in a day ahead and we will have our equipment with us, so that will be one less thing to think about and we can relax. We also plan on going and 'practicing' in a pool a few times before we go to add to our fun.

Is there a mask or snorkle that you guys would recommend?

Here are links to the gear we bought.

Works pretty well...

http://www.escubamax.com/.sc/ms/bdd/ee/75/PANORAMIC%20SINGLE%20PURGE

http://www.escubamax.com/.sc/ms/bdd/ee/81/SEAL-DRY%20PRO

Scubamax is sold in many dives shops...

Google "scubamax" if the above interest you.

I like the purge valve in the mask, which is more expensive that a standard mask...

Is there a mask or snorkle that you guys would recommend?

Pudgy,

I would recommend try on the various masks that are available. Things to consider:

1) the less space inside the mask, the easier it is to clear if necessary.

2) IMPORTANT: make sure it fits. Take the mask, without using the strap, stick it to your face, breathe in through your nose. The harder the mask sticks the better the fit.

3) With the mask stuck to your face, look around. Some masks let you see things out of the corner of your eye better.

There is no BEST mask. I've passed up masks others have sworn by because they just didn't fit. Nothing ruins a dive more than having to clear your mask every few minutes.

We just bought our equipment from "The Dive Shop" in Marda Loop (Calgary). Others said to check out Costco - they had the same brands that we bought at the dive shop for 1/2 the price, but only had kids' stuff in stock. We paid $89.99 with a bag - mask that was professionally fitted, snorkel and fins (we had lots to choose from). I would say buy before you go - just in case you can't find what you're looking for. I'm sure there's a shop in Edmonton.

Archived