What to do on own in St. Thomas?

wadecruiser

Hello all,

We have purchased tickets through NCL for Paradise Point tickets, but we were wondering where a beach was we could get to on our own in St. Thomas without a tour company? We have never been to St. Thomas and we would like to explore and snorkel. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, I have been to St. Thomas 2x and both times I have taken the ferry (very short and inexpensive ride to St. John). Once on St. John...another very short ride to Trunks Bay. Probably the most beautiful beach in the world. It is on a preserve. I don't recall there being food or drinks just wonderful beach with great snorkeling. I am on another cruise in March and may go back yet again. I have been reading though, about the wonderful beaches right on St. Thomas Google pictures of Trunks Bay...St.John.

Hello,

Taxis are readily available at the cruise dock and can take you to a beach of your choice. Nice beaches on St. Thomas include Magens Bay, Coki, Sapphire, Secret Habor, Cowpet, Emerald, Morningstar... The most popular with cruise passengers are Magens, Coki and Sapphire. Try http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=st.+thomas+beach+guide&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8 for some search results of St. Thomas Beach Guide. Looking through the photos/descriptions in a beach guide for St. Thomas might help you pick one.

--Islander

St Thomas is one of the more populated and up to date islands you visit on a cruise ship. Taxis are readily available. There are numerous beaches to choose from, as the previous poster said. I wouldn't recommend taking a beach trip excursion on St Thomas off the cruise ships. They are all overpriced. We loved Morningstar and Sapphire beaches. We weren't impressed with Magens Bay.

We're going on NCL in March, and this time will probably go to St John. We went years ago, and it was truly the best snorkeling we've ever seen, and that includes Hawaii. But, St Thomas has the shopping and going to St John will take a huge hunk of time out of your day. So, it just depends on what you want. Decisions, Decisions....

I agree about St. John/Trunk Bay being the most beautiful beach in the world, or at least that I have ever been to. It does take up quite a bit of your day while you are in St. Thomas, but it is worth it. The picture attached hardly does it justice, but just to give you an idea...:rolleyes:

866779785_SouthernCaribbean128.jpg.6cdac9c33223e02b9dd12dcb75766899.jpg

I'm going to take back what I said about the taxis in St Thomas. There is a local that has done an extensive explanation on another thread in this forum about the various modes of transportation in St Thomas. It's a great thread with lots of great information. We won't have a lot of time, so I'm not sure we'll brave the cheap transportation. But, I am thinking about it.

Here it is as MS411 explained in another thread (Cheap transportation in St Thomas).

I live here, and ride the local safaris almost every day, so I'm going to clear up some of the confusion on this board.

There are three types of "public" transportation here: 1. VITRAN busses. They service many, but not all, parts of the island, and run mostly during commute and school hours. Fare is $1. They're white and look similar to busses you'll see in the States (though smaller). 2. "Dollar taxis." These are the ones BrianinIdaho is referring to. The original Dollar Man was (as far as I know), did not have a taxi license, but he had a well-used safari truck that he used to transport people from UVI to the East End (Red Hook) stopping at the mall and other shopping centers along the way. His system has now evolved into a Taxi Commissioner, licensed and regulated industry with fares ranging from $1 - $2 depending on where you get on and off. Many of the drivers doing "dollar runs" have a buzzer that you press when you're ready to get off (none of this stomping your feet business). Though the route includes the road passing Coki, Sapphire, and Red Hook, you have to walk maybe 1/4 mile to get to Coki and Sapphire from the stop. These vehicles stop anywhere along the route if they see a "local" standing on the street, because they depend on volume to make their living. The dollar safaris do not stop at Havensight or Crown Bay. You have to walk maybe 1/4 mile to get to the closest stop. 3. "Gypsy taxis." These drivers usually congregate at the major shopping areas (the mall, Pueblo, etc), and are usually unlicensed and fares are not regulated.

I wouldn't recommend any of them if it's your first time here, because you'll miss the most beautiful scenic outlooks, and there's no narration whatsoever. I also wouldn't recommend it if you've got a large group, because you might have to wait and wait for one that'll have enough space to accommodate everyone (or split up). From what I've read on the posts, the $20/pp tour is a bargain, because you learn something about the island, and the drivers are somewhat flexible in the arrangements. If you've been here before and want to go to St John, Sapphire, or Coki, then the dollar safaris might be suitable.

Archived