Weather causing a missed ship...reimbursement?

rin1

A friend of mine was supposed to take a NCL cruise that left last Saturday. He attempted to fly in the day before but weather was bad and he couldn't get a flight until Monday, so he missed the ship. In that circumstance, does NCL usually give a cruise credit? I'm not sure whether he purchased insurance or not.

Insurance is available which will fly you to the first port if you missed the ship. NCL has reserved a cabin, whether you use it or not is not their worry, you will be charged. Like hotels NCL also charges for a late cancellation. While I feel sorry for those who miss the ship, I don't feel sorry for those who did not buy any insurance. Many have posted its wise with the airlines today to arrive a day early. As you have noticed, the weather can delay and/or cancel flights.

A friend of mine was supposed to take a NCL cruise that left last Saturday. He attempted to fly in the day before but weather was bad and he couldn't get a flight until Monday, so he missed the ship. In that circumstance, does NCL usually give a cruise credit? I'm not sure whether he purchased insurance or not.

No insurance means no reimbursement except in the rare incident where the ship doesn't sail. You have been around long enough to know that. I do think insurance should be mandatory. The purpose of the insurance is to pay for things like this. Your friend if he didn't buy insurance gambled that he/she didn't need it. They lost. No cruise line will reimburse/give future credit unless the ship didn't sail without its insurance...sorry but without insurance they are out of luck on this one.

He should have bought insurance that would have paid for him to catch up with the ship.

It happened to me once, and I tried everything to get there after a major snowstorm closed the airports. Turns out the best I could do was catch it the day before the ship was to return. So the line I was sailing offered me 4 choices of a make up cruise.

Insurance is available which will fly you to the first port if you missed the ship. NCL has reserved a cabin, whether you use it or not is not their worry, you will be charged. Like hotels NCL also charges for a late cancellation. While I feel sorry for those who miss the ship, I don't feel sorry for those who did not buy any insurance. Many have posted its wise with the airlines today to arrive a day early. As you have noticed, the weather can delay and/or cancel flights.

Ahem....as per the OP:

He attempted to fly in the day before but weather was bad and he couldn't get a flight until Monday, so he missed the ship.

I use travel insurance all the time - and its has paid for itself a million times over.

10/2005 Hurricane takes out our Honeymoon the day before the wedding - full refund

10/2005 Hubby does not have passport end up in Jamacia for makeshift honeymoon - deathly allergic to no seething bugs must fly doctor into resort - fully refunded for costs

3/2006 - NCL Spirit caught the flu spent 8 days in cabin. Saw the dr on the ship - fully repaid for all expenses.

10/2006 Eathquake while in Hawaii - Hilo helicopter tour protected as its nonrefunable did not purchase through NCL and NCL POH can not go into Hilo must spend extra time in Maui.

12/2006 Flying home from Pearl weather stuck in ATL can not depart pays for our overnight room and meals.

8/2007 Luggage never arrives at my cabin on Holland - free shopping.

Ok just some good reasons.

P.S. After writing this letter I would not sail with me on your boat.

KC

I use travel insurance all the time - and its has paid for itself a million times over.

10/2005 Hurricane takes out our Honeymoon the day before the wedding - full refund

10/2005 Hubby does not have passport end up in Jamacia for makeshift honeymoon - deathly allergic to no seething bugs must fly doctor into resort - fully refunded for costs

3/2006 - NCL Spirit caught the flu spent 8 days in cabin. Saw the dr on the ship - fully repaid for all expenses.

10/2006 Eathquake while in Hawaii - Hilo helicopter tour protected as its nonrefunable did not purchase through NCL and NCL POH can not go into Hilo must spend extra time in Maui.

12/2006 Flying home from Pearl weather stuck in ATL can not depart pays for our overnight room and meals.

8/2007 Luggage never arrives at my cabin on Holland - free shopping.

Ok just some good reasons.

P.S. After writing this letter I would not sail with me on your boat.

KC

Cruiseleader please post all future vacations. LOL. This sounds like me I had no luck traveling on planes they would break down, get in late, not take off etc. I too buy insurance for whenever we travel.

It does not matter to NCL, or any other cruise line, if you tried to fly in same day or two weeks early - if you do not arrive at the port in time to board the ship, for any reason, there is no reimbursement.

As others have said, this is one reason to purchase travel insurance - though medical coverage is probably the most important. The cost of your vacation is peanuts compared to the potential cost of medical care overseas and getting back home. Costs your health insurance or medicare surely won't cover.

In the unfortunate case of missing the ship, the best advice is to determine the next port of call, and head to the airport to book a flight there. If you have insurance, you may be able to recover this cost otherwise it is your expense.

I use travel insurance all the time - and its has paid for itself a million times over. {snip} P.S. After writing this letter I would not sail with me on your boat.

KC

GREAT! I was just gonna say that... <ROTFLMAO>

See you Saturday, KC. :D

All the rest of you all -- please pray for us. :eek:

If "weather" badly damaged your house and you didn't have home insurance, would you expect the builder to rebuild it for you at no charge?

sure because he didn't build it well enough or I would expect the US Government to give me the money(not)....

For the OP first let me say I am sorry your friend couldn't get to the ship. It's a bummer. Everyone else has covered the insurance angle etc. but I have a question and it concerns advice a lot of us pass around like gas :), me included, specifically flying in a day early. On another thread on another board I posted that passengers flying in the day BEFORE were also at risk of missing their cruise while people flying out the SAME day probably had a better chance of making it, from the same airport, as they were already booked on that day's flights. My question is, if your friend had originally scheduled his flight to go the day OF the cruise, would he have made it?

No insurance means no reimbursement except in the rare incident where the ship doesn't sail. You have been around long enough to know that.

Apparently I haven't, or I wouldn't have asked. :p

It happened to me once, and I tried everything to get there after a major snowstorm closed the airports. Turns out the best I could do was catch it the day before the ship was to return. So the line I was sailing offered me 4 choices of a make up cruise.

Thank you, Mr. Pete. I was hoping that someone who had an actual experience with this situation would reply.

General reply to the rest:

I know that Travel Insurance is important. I buy travel insurance. I was simply asking a question about a situation that I don't know all of the details about. I truly hope that my friend purchased insurance, but I don't wish to pry and potentially rub salt in an open wound. Thank you for satisfying my curiosity.

For the OP first let me say I am sorry your friend couldn't get to the ship. It's a bummer. Everyone else has covered the insurance angle etc. but I have a question and it concerns advice a lot of us pass around like gas :), me included, specifically flying in a day early. On another thread on another board I posted that passengers flying in the day BEFORE were also at risk of missing their cruise while people flying out the SAME day probably had a better chance of making it, from the same airport, as they were already booked on that day's flights. My question is, if your friend had originally scheduled his flight to go the day OF the cruise, would he have made it?

Very possibly. I just don't know if there would have been that option. My friend lives outside of a major city and had to travel out of a regional airport to South Carolina. I don't know if other regional airports in the area would have offered a flight that same day, but flying out of a small airport often necessitates changing planes so it would be very risky to do the same day. Let's just hope that he covered himself with insurance. (Now I'm picturing a big fluffy blanket labeled "Insurance".)

Archived