What are tapas at Las Ramblas on Sun?

Babygirl5408

I was wondering if anyone who has been on the Sun before and eaten at Las Ramblas can tell me what tapas are and what they would recommend. Also, what kind of sandwiches are served there during lunch? Could you give me a sample of the menu if you remember anything from it? Thanks so much everyone!

I haven’t been on the Sun, but in Spain, tapas bars are bars with great appetizers that you can pick and choose from to create a great meal. When I was in Spain they also typically put a slice of bread over your drink to keep the flies out as a tradition. That’s where the name tapas comes from.

YoJo, great trivia information about the bread. To the OP, YoJo about explained what they are. They vary from night to night and are appitizers in many forms, but not things as simple as dips and chips, much heavier.

For some, this isn't a meal, for us it has been. You can choose what you want and go back as often as you want.

Nita

We were on the Sun last September and really liked Las Ramblas.

The description of Tapas on the earlier post is right on the money. We went to Las Ramblas every night of the cruise for wine and Appy's. Virtually all of them were good....some of those we met on board had to stretch their "food comfort zone" a bit for some of the plates...but were glad they did.

We did not eat lunch at Las Ramblas so can't help you there.

It is a pleasant, well decorated room...one of our favourites on the ship.

Can anyone give me some examples of items that they have eaten at Las Ramblas? I'm so curious!

I'm going on the Sun for the first time in a couple of weeks too, so I'm not a lot of help. But - I do remember (and a couple of people have referred to it) that there was a post where someone wrote down all the different appetizers that they had had there and what they were like.

I seem to remember there were a variety of warm and cold appetizers. Some looked like they were fried little fish things. Others sounded similar to little cheese ball type appetizers. Anyway - try a search for Las Ramblas and see what you come up with. They did sound good!

Hi --

Was on the Sun last year and we loved Las Ramblas . I remember mini empanadas but for the life of me I can't recall what else I ate -- except I know I liked it!! You walk up to a deli-case type thing and just point to the items you want and they give them to you. The selection changes nightly. Try it.... you'll like it!!

I enjoy reading the posts and helping people who have questions however; you are out of control. I suggest you contact your own private travel agent and stop cluttering this site with your annoying questions.

I stopped counting your posts at 17.

Here are some of your posts:

1. What are tapas at Las Ramblas?

2. Best pre dinner appetizers on the Sun

3. Best free food entree on the Sun

4. Freestyle 2.0 on the Sun yet

5. Is there a surcharge free dining recomendation on the Sun

6. Can you ask for extra food

7. What is the best kept secret on the Sun

8. How was the Garden Cafe on the Sun

9. Is it true the Sun offers free ice cream by the pool

10. What is Dazzles on the Sun

11. Is the arecade on the Sun free

12. Free lobster dinner on the Sun

13. Ok to eat at Las Ramblas but not drink alcohol

14. Does NCL have a free shuttle from the airport

15. Anyone have freestyle dailies from the Sun

16. What activities does the Sun offer

17. What are the shore excursions tru NCL

I feel so very sorry for the crew and guests of the Sun! Thank God I am on the Pearl.

I enjoy reading the posts and helping people who have questions however; you are out of control. I suggest you contact your own private travel agent and stop cluttering this site with your annoying questions.

I stopped counting your posts at 17.

Here are some of your posts:......

I can see where the OP is coming from, however-----I happen to like all your questions Babygirl! I am on the Sun this weekend and although I read the boards often, sometimes I think the Sun isn't mentioned as much as some of the other ships. Also, nothing gears me up more than thinking about my cruise and learning more about the ship. Especially because this is my first time with NCL.

Why so hostile? Babygirl obviously has a lot of questions about the Sun and rather than ask them all in one post has tried to space them out. That's the purpose of these boards - to answer questions and help people have the best cruise possible. For some people, planning everything out ahead of time and learning as much as possible about the ship is as much fun as the cruise itself . I don't see her posts as annoying but if you do, why don't you just not read them?

I am also on the sun in 2 months, and I appreciate the questions. I have an additional one... is the tapa bar considered a specialty restairant or is it included. The NCL site seems to imply it is included, but I wanted to make sure. I spent a few weeks this fall in Barcelona and tapas are my favorite way to spend a dinner.

i hope what he was suggesting: is could you group some of your questions together. maybe no so many single posts?

but i am afraid you are going to have to just wait for some of your answers and see what it offered on your cruise.

all the dining rooms have several choices of several appetizers, a couple of salads, a soup, 3 or 4 main entrees and several dessert.

yes, tapas are a form of appetizers..they could be anything that the kitchen crew cooks up for that day.

from my experience, it's more fun to not know everything...more fun to learn as you go.:D

Babygirl,

I am on the Sun in June and also like to have as much information as possible and I have enjoyed reading the answers to some of your questions.

Ur_Calvin...

Thank you for the comprehensive list of Babygirls questions...I think I missed a few.:p

To ur calvin klein guy,

I don't really understand what concern it is of yours and why you have such a problem. The purpose of these boards is to ask questions so that you are properly prepared and make the most out of your cruise. As a first time cruiser, had it not been for the questions I asked and the kind and informative people who answered them, I probably would not have as much information as I do right now. So many people have commented that they wish they knew about Las Ramblas ahead of time so they could have made more out of their vacation,while others have said that they wish they knew what dazzles was ahead of time so they could have went there more often. If my posts offend you, don't read them. I try my best to answer questions from other people wherever I can and would never insult someone for wanting to gather as much info as possible. You are the type of person that sees the glass as half empty, not half full. It's a good thing I'm on the Sun, not the Pearl, and best of luck to the crew in regards to putting up with your negative, unnecessary attitude.

To toyz711,

The reason that I don't clump questions together is because it was recommended by several "senior posters" :D that I ask one specific question per post. They have told me that people who search the boards may only know the answer to one of the questions and by doing it individually, more people have the opportunity to respond. The Sun is very seldom discusses on these boards and it is not as if I haven't done my homework and am being lazy. The only questions I ask concern things that someone could not possibly know unless they have first hand experience, so why not share the wonderful experience you had? I am grateful for the feedback from everyone and truly believe that the flood of information is going to make for a much better experience had I not asked the questions. Not only do I benefit from the answers, but others who are traveling on the Sun will benefit as well. All I can say is if the questions bother you, don't respond. Nothing personal and not trying to be rude, but that's what the boards are for.

the ships have specialities that are included and others that have surcharges...while some are the same, some ships have others with different names. i haven't learned them all yet, but on the NCL star, endless summer and la trattoria is considered a speciality, no surcharge..but reservations needed. on the NCL spirit only has la trattoria for the included speciality. most ships have a steakhouse, a french style dining, and a couple of asian..all surcharges and reservations needed.

the term "speciality" doesn't apply to whether there is a sucharge our not, it's more a term used to describe a smaller dining venue other then the main dining room..

Not to offend; I'm being serious. A previous BF of mine referred to me as Baby Girl. From what I understand, it's fairly common. Maybe it's bringing back bad memories for him. :rolleyes: fGo, have fun, and don't worry about this!:)

I was wondering if anyone who has been on the Sun before and eaten at Las Ramblas can tell me what tapas are and what they would recommend. Also, what kind of sandwiches are served there during lunch? Could you give me a sample of the menu if you remember anything from it? Thanks so much everyone!

We haven't been on the Sun..but on the Dawn and Jewel, the Tapas were offered at the Tapas bar (outside of the restaurant) which, in your case would be Las Ramblas. They were also offered as an appetizer in the restaurant though, several times, on the the Dawn they advised us that we could NOT order them as an appetizer with our dinner:confused:

It was an assortment of hot and cold tapas. Tapas are small servings of a dish. We have Tapas restaurants in the metropolitan area and they are great.

It can be an olive dish, a bean salad hot or cold, eggplant hot/cold, etc.

Normally, their are a variety of hot/cold tapas offered. You can try all of them.

We usually check out the tapas bar during the day and see what the choices are. You may order as many as you like.

If we are at a port on any given day and have a large lunch, we check out the Tapas bar when we return to the ship.

If we are not too hungry for dinner, we go to the tapas bar (lounge)and have a drink and tapas for dinner. They will serve you as many tapas as you like. You will only pay for your drinks;)

I am standing by to be flamed.

I think the questions Babygirl has asked are fine, there just seems to be a running issue there, and they are "free", "extra food", "do you need to buy a drink" and "no-charge" related.

If you're going on vacation, prepare to board with some cash in your pocket, and live a little.

Of course be prepared to spend extra money. If one isn't prepared they will have a horrible shock and the vacation won't be quite what they had hoped. That being said, I understand the OP asking these questions, especially if it is a first cruise and they are very young. They want to stretch their money and will look for whatever they can that doesn't cost. Not everyone who cruises can afford lots of luxuries on top of the cruise price.

Nita

I think she just wants to make sure exactlyi what is going to cost her extra money or not - and I can understand that. This is my first time on NCL and some of it can be confusing. :) That being said - keep the questions coming. It's only wetting my appetite that much more for my cruise in a couple of days, and Babygirl can cruise with me anytime!

Archived