Majesty Review (between hurricanes cruise)

mammallama

Wow! What a wonderful trip! Started off on shaky ground, no flights going to southern Florida due to the s-l-o-w moving hurricane Frances. Thought I'd be slick and take a flight out a day earlier to "beat Frances" to the pier. DOH! On Sunday, flew from Chicago Midway to Detroit, then found out our flight to Florida was cancelled. Was put on stand-by for a 9pm flight (which was the first flight that wasn't cancelled), flight was overbooked and no room for stand-by's. Hopes dashed! We finally found a sympathetic ticket agent who put us in a 'distressed travelers' room for the night at the Comfort Suites just outside the airport. Then she got busy on the computer. There we stood with baited breath waiting for some openings on a flight for Monday. There were no available seats going to Miami but the ticket agent persisted and finally found us 2 confirmed seats to Ft. Lauderdale at 9 the next morning. :D Off we go to our hotel for the night. Our hopes are high since we now know that the planes are actually flying and not being cancelled.

Next morning (Monday, day of departure) we finally got on the plane to Ft. Lauderdale. No problems flying, smooth all the way. Once we arrived, we found a little old man holding a Royal Caribbean sign (kind of reminded me of Wal-Mart greeter). I explained to him that we needed to get to Port of Miami and he promptly handed me a bus ticket. He then pointed me to an area and said the bus will be along in a few minutes, which it was. How easy is that? The coach bus was free, and we found ourselves gazing at our ship just over an hour later. :D They told us on the bus that we were going to Cozumel instead of Bahamas, CoCoCay and Key West. That just started the whiners going. One lady in particular, I'll refer to her as 'Sunshine' (pun intended) was complaining the whole ride to Miami. Apparently, she hates Cozumel. After listening to her complain loudly to anyone who would listen (there weren't many) for over an hour, I finally told her to read #6 on her cruise contract and shut her pie hole. I told her if she hated it so much, just stay on the ship! (Or better yet, "Go home" was what I was thinking.) Sheesh! My friend was sure I'd get kicked off the bus for fighting, but the other passengers were thanking me. Enough already!

Once we arrived at the port of Miami, things were a little messed up as there were 7 ships docked at the pier. RC's Explorer, Navigator and Majesty, along with Carnivals Fascination, Imagination, Paradise and Triumph all lined up in a row. What a sight! They had us check in at one pier and then took us by bus to another pier to embark on the ship. Not a biggie, I was just so thankful to finally be there, but boy, oh, boy were there complainers. You'd have thought they just asked us to cut off a limb and throw it in the ocean!

We finally made it on board around 3:30 and headed straight to the pool bar. Met up with 9 other Cruise Critics and had fun meeting everyone. Lauryn from Texas, who is on the CD staff, met us at the bar to welcome us all aboard. A few drinks later it was time for dinner, so off to the dining room we went.

To be continued....

The Majesty is a beautiful ship. Having only been on Voyager class before, I knew how much smaller she was but my friend was in awe. The ship was clean and the staff really do go out of their way for you. I knew it was going to be a great cruise.

After muster, the captain made an announcement that we would all be getting a $100 per stateroom shipboard credit. Woohoo! I thought that was very generous since technically, they didn't have to do anything to compensate us. We all knew there had been a hurricane and I was told by some staff that CoCoCay had no beaches left, all washed away by Frances. I'm sure Nassau was reeling in the aftermath too. :(

Our revised itinerary had us at sea Tues. and Thurs. with a stop in Cozumel on Wednesday. Never been to Cozumel before. While waiting to get off the ship, the Grandeur pulled in and was docking across from us. We had to wait until the Grandeur was tied up before we could disembark. That started a rash of ugliness to rear it's head. People were actually mad that they had to wait! (Come on folks, safety first!) There was a family that started shouting and calling names. And guess who was there to help us off? Lauryn! These people started yelling at her, calling her a liar because we weren't going to Bahamas and CoCoCay! It got so ugly, I truely thought there was going to be violence. I finally took out my camera and started video taping the rowdy bunch. That shut 'em up! They all turned away from the camera (chickens) but they did shut up. After about 10 minutes we were on our way and all was good again. We got off the ship and headed into town. We never did make it into the downtown area. We were hot and tired (and maybe just a little hung over). We did a little shopping then headed to Senor Frogs for a Margarita or two. M-M-Mmmmm GOOD! Guess who we saw in Cozumel? Sunshine! I guess she just couldn't stay away!

Staggered back to the ship with big smiles on our faces. Naptime!

Thursday was a sea day. Beautiful weather. Chairhogs galore but I had my seat and I was sticking to it! I did see an infant in the hot tub, complete with diaper. I pointed it out to a pool attendent and he made them take the baby out. :rolleyes:

Had a quick get together with the CC bunch in the Schooner bar (Stephens fav ;) ). Apparently, they made the best Martinis. Lauryn came again to visit with us. Consensus showed everyone had a great time on the cruise. Things we would have liked to change? Get rid of the whiners. We all had heard enough by the end of the week.

In spite of all the negative mojo on the ship, I'm ready to book another getaway on the Majesty. Next hurricane season. :D

Hey Mamma

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! I simply cannot believe these stories I am hearing about all the complainers! For crying out loud people - there was a major hurricane that wrecked havoc on The Bahamas and Florida!! Some peoples lost their homes. Some people lost their lives!!! Get over yourselves!!!

Me, I'm happy just happy to be on a cruise. I don't care where the ship takes me. I have the same attitude as you Mamma - I'll have a good time where ever I go.

Nassau and CoCoCay out of the question this week. I understand there were ships that did make it into Key West this past week. Our ship was supposed to stop there on Thursday but that stop was cancelled for the Majesty. My guess is that there were quite a few ships with itinerary changes due to both Frances and Ivan. The ports can only handle so many ships on any given day. After working and reworking the schedule, I do believe RCCL did the best they could in that situation. I was happy to be on the ship with wonderful staff...even if I didn't get to the original ports of call. JMHO. Karen

Sorry we didn't get to meet up Mammallama. We had a great time on the Majesty as well.

On Sunday, we flew from Phoenix to Dallas and found that because of a mechanical problem in PHX we missed the connection to FLL. Got on the next flight that arrived at FLL at about 9PM. Smooth flight in, even though the Pilot said to expect turbulence. Nothing unusual (Of course, we are used to flying over mountains out here--where bumpiness is par for the course) Most passengers on the flight applauded after we landed. While leaving the plane and walking to Baggage, a downpour occurred, resulting in very wet baggage on the carousel.

Since our traveling companions lived in Boynton, but had no power or phone, we proceded to Payless Rent a Car in Lauderdale. They had no power but were functioning with a generator providing power to the Computer and Credit Card machine. (Great enthusiasm from the employees) Got car and drove the 40 or so miles to the inlaws. REALLY INTERESTING driving I-95 with no traffic and no lights out the windows due to the power outages. Found out that there was actually a 8:00PM Curfew in Palm Beach County.

Next morning drove with the inlaws to return the rental and continue to the port. Arrived at the port about 11:00 and found the parking garage. Walked to terminal 4 for the Majesty. Gave bags to porter and got on the shuttle to Terminal 12 (RCCL Headquarters) to check in. (At check in, employee showed us to four seats in the front row of the waiting room, then a second employee, who was sending people to the check in line, immediately sent us to the check in line!! Total time waiting at Terminal 12 was about 12 minutes!!!!!!!) Got on the shuttle back to Terminal 4 and made it on board almost immediately. Arrived in our staterooms at 12:10 and our bags were waiting!!! Great Start. 1 hour from parking to unpacking WOW!.

While waiting for the shuttle, I heard a couple of porters talking about the fact that a 5th Carnival ship had arrived and that there were supposedly two more cruise ships waiting for berths at the Port of Miami. But they did a good job getting everything loaded and prepared.

Headed for the Windjammer for food. ( As the Comedian would later say, "headed for the food like refugees") Explored the ship and napped until dinner.

About the change to Cozumel. Although we really wanted to go to Nassau, we did understand that it would not be good only 24hours after Frances. I did find it interesting that the crew did not know much about Cozumel, and I was asked by several what it was like (since we had been there before). Gave generally good reviews.

Will consider the Majesty again BUT NOT IN HURRICANE SEASON>

Great review! :) Love your upbeat attitude! :)

We had to put up with some of the same on the Navigator, we just mostly ignored them.

Your right...for cyrin' out loud its a hurricane! Safety first...some people shouldn't be cruising during hurricane season if they can't handle the changes.:D

Happy to hear you had a good time and enjoyed the Majesty!

We had to put up with some of the same on the Navigator, we just mostly ignored them.

Our first reaction to the whiners was to ignore them. Some, though, just became more and more obnoxious as the week went on. If we saw them coming, my friend would lean over to me and whisper, "Run! Run away as fast as you can!" We made it a game to avoid the loud mouthed, negative people. It was kinda fun! :p :D Overall, there were very nice people on board, just the handful of rabblerousers. (I'm sure we can all name someone with that kind of bad attitude. Unfortunately, those negative people take cruises, too.) Still had a great time and met many, many NICE people.

Hey dad and everyone else... I am so glad that you guys had a good time despite all the changes and problems with the weather. We have a pretty good bunch on here this week so it has been a little more calm. The only problem this week is a group that is on for a bachelorette party. They want priority on everything including being put on the karoke list ahead of everyone even though we are already full with our times. YEA RIGHT... if she had have been nice about it, mmmm, maybe. But since she was rude I let her know that their was no way the group was going to get to sing and the next time we have karoke was Sunday.. (today) So thats at 2 and well see how it goes. Just kinda drifting around today outside of freeport and Great Stirrup Cay. They are telling us that Miami is no problem for tomorrow and next week will be Nassau, sea day and Key West. Get this dad, I get to get off tomorrow in Miami but I dont get paid until Wednesday. So for sure in Key West I will send a gigantic sum of money home to you to cover evverything for a while. I also am sending the sweatshirts and polos for you and mom in Key West so be watching for a box in the mail. Gotta run but will talk to you soon.., Love u...

Lauryn

Karen,

Thanks for whippin out the camera, Lauryn said you saved her life !

EW

:o It was nothing...really. They (the loud mouths) brought out the she-bear in me. :mad: Look out!!! ;)

If you e-mail me, I'll send you Lauryns picture! She is a beautiful young lady, Wallie. Perfect personality for her position. We enjoyed meeting her. Karen

Hi all......:) :) :) :)

Had a hard time last night making my own martini's.....Ayhan would see me coming into the Schooner and by the time we were at the bar it was waiting for me.

So over the whiners, especially "Sunshine"....never saw her face but heard the voice (like finger nails on the chalk board---you never forget it).

We, Ron and I, talked last night---a cruise is what you, the passenger, make it out to be. You meet people, you click, you enjoy.....or you moan and groan and make yourself miserable. I think all of us were definately in the meet, click, enjoy category.

Got a hold of my friend last night that works for RCI---got the email address to write all my kudos to (web site gives you 1000 characters, sorry I need more. greedy aren't I?) Lauryn, you're on this "special list".

Catch everyone later....

Stephen

Had to make my own bed, dream up something for dinner AND cook it, but the DH did make me some Margaritas yesterday. Guess what? We ran out of tequila. :eek: I can't believe I was just in Mexico and didn't bring home tequila!!! Sheesh! :rolleyes: Guess I'll just have to go back!

Karen out of tee-kill-ya?? :eek: Holy outta worms, Batman! :D

It was great meeting everybody. Diane and I had a wunnerful time on our cruise, biatchy people not-withstanding. It got to be interesting to see what they'd complain about next (sun too hot, ice too cold, water too wet...) Luckily, we don't have to endure non-cruising time with them - WHEW!

I'd like to add my 2 cents about the staff and cruise to RCI, so if you can share that addr. w/ me, Stephen, I'd appreciate it.

Frank

unkfrank@yahoo.com

Hi Frank and Diane---glad to see you made it home.

That address is web(underscore)cruise(underscore)comments@rccl.com

Sorry about the (underscore), I work on a computer all day but have hundreds of programable keys so don't always know how to manually type in something.

They need your name, ship, sailing date, reservation number.

Just spent over 45 minutes extending our kudos about specific staff members.

Thinking about doing the Rhapsody next May out of Galveston.

Stephen

Hi Frank and Diane---glad to see you made it home.

That address is web(underscore)cruise(underscore)comments@rccl.com

Sorry about the (underscore), I work on a computer all day but have hundreds of programable keys so don't always know how to manually type in something.

They need your name, ship, sailing date, reservation number.

Just spent over 45 minutes extending our kudos about specific staff members.

Thinking about doing the Rhapsody next May out of Galveston.

Stephen

Hey there guys, glad to see everyone made it home ok and had such a great time. We always appreciate the comments good or bad. Thats what makes us better. Im trying with everything I can to get onto the Rhapsody in March for my next contract so if I get it Ill see you guys on there.... Gotta run to line dance class so Ill catch yalll later...

Lauryn

Mamma, mapsmith, Thanks for the great reviews. It was really interesting reading how you got to the ship. That was a little close. Good for you to be so determined. The whiners on the ships always amaze me. I heard a new one on our last cruise. "Sunshine" went to the poolbar and complained that her ice cubes were melting too fast. Well, we would all like them to last longer but are we going to blame the bartender?? :eek:

Glad you all had such a good cruise in spite of a few things. Mamma, I'm guessing the only reason the rioters stopped is because they didn't want to be on record when they filed their stupid complaints. That would pretty much take out the sting when they are trying to blame RCL.

Lauryn, It's wonderful to see that you actually live up to all of your dads bragging about you. :D

mammallama-

Hey! Yeah im lurking around... We had a great time, drive back was nice. We spent friday night in south beach with our dinner table mates (Mike, Jorge, and Miguel,three guys from Mexico and Jennifer and Lee, a couple from Texas) of course we went out and got a little carried away ;) so that made the drive a little difficult but we all survived. Cruise was great, only complaint I have is the last night Lauryn ate dinner with us and she bought the table a bottle of wine. She had to jet out early to work and then as we were leaving the assistant waiter stuck me with the bill! I couldnt believe it, I wanted to complain but I didnt have the energy to by that point so I just paid again. Im not sure if they charged us twice but either way I thought that was rude (we took some of the money out of his tip for that little move!)

Other then that it was a fantastic trip, besides Lauryn I think Dong at the pool bar was my favorite person on board... and Lucy in the Cigar bar... and Sammy at the rock wall... well and everyone else we met onboard! :)

ps-sorry about the typos, guess i should proof before i post! think i caught most of them!

Archived