First Family Cruise Nervous I've made Mistakes

Thmacs

We booked through a local TA and I don't feel they are being as helpful as they could. Very vague whenever I ask a question so I am coming here for some much need assurance or advice. We booked 2 cabins (9500 and 9501) on the Jewel 03/22/08. I am worried about being in the front of the ship under the bridge. I am not so worried about the motion as none of us are prone to motion sickness, but will our balcony be obstructed? will I hate the front of the boat?. I have read the back is the "prime real estae" does the front suck?

Also, we booked our own airfare and have a 10:50am flight out of FLL. Is this going to be enough time? Also, I have read about "express walk off". Does this mean we take our own luggage off the ship and can disembark first? ANy help with these issues will be greatly appreciated.

Gail

We have usually had forward cabins and loved them. While we have not been on a Radiance Class ship before, it looks like your location will be excellent. You are past the lifeboat cover that blocks the view straight down into the water midship. Have a great cruise!

Eric

First deep breath, the planning is supposed to be fun.;) Welcome to cruise critic and you have picked a wonderful ship for your first cruise. I have been on two of her sister ships and IMO they are the most beautiful ships afloat. The aft cabins (the ones across the back) are prime real estate because they have HUGE balconies. If you want the most stable ride you want to be in the middle of the ship.

7108 is still available which is a hump cabin with a huge balcony but I don't see an inside right nearby and I don't know if that room is for your kids and you want them nearby. You do not have an obstructed balcony as that would be noted on the floor plans. I have been in the front once and it was fine.

The walk off disembarkation is that you carry everything off yourself and the airport is only like 10 minutes away so your flight should be fine. The self disembark is very early.

I would guess your TA has little cruise experience or no experience with your ship... If he/she cannot help you come here....ask away!!

Location.....we all get caught up in the "bigger is better" syndrome...it will matter little or not at all once you are onboard.

Express is a winner, but do not assume it is express....the crowd is LARGE and they will block every concievable hallway, stairwell and elevator so be prepared

I have never been in the front of the boat but I can tell you that the very back of the boat can be load when the engines are full steam ahead or when the boat is docking. We had a vibration feeling in our room but it seemed to be more prevalent in the hallway then in the actual cabin yet we could still fill it. As for exiting the boat, most boats arrive at port very early 7:30am or so. Most people get up the morning of port have breakfast then exit the boat. There were no lines to exit the boat nor was it crowded. All you do is scan you cruise card showing you exited the boat then exit. Upon re boarding you scan back in with your cruise card also have your bags scanned by an x ray machine much like being at an airport. We did not try to hide anything we brought back from port and I guess the only rule breaking "thing" we did was buy alcohol at the port and take it back to our cabin. Again the guys checking us back in after being at port did not say a word. We did not open the alcohol until we got home since we are not big drinkers.

As for you exact cabin I am not sure. Maybe call RCI directly at their 800 number to see if they can give you any advice on that exact cabin number.

i have not done express disembark but think i have read that for those taking their own luggage off they ask that the bags not be oversized or be too many for you to handle- as there isn't anyone around to help you with your bags- is it possible to get a later flt? 10:50 should be fine if there are no problems with clearing customs - or other issues that could delay getting off the ship- the airport is only about a 5 minute ride away- you will be able to ask for early flt departure luggage tags that should help in the event you have too many bags to self disembark with-

I am including a link to a large photo of the Jewel. You can see the only obstruction you will have is the Bridge wing itself. You are still far enough from it though that it shouldn't be a problem. The flight may be a problem only because it is the Jewel in FLL. There have been many posts lately stating that FLL is just not ready for a ship her size.

As someone else has said, the planning is supposed to be fun. Try not to worry and come on the board as often as you like. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question.

http://www.irishships.com/images/Photo%20Album/Cruise%20ships/Jewel%20of%20the%20Seas-Dublin%2022-6-07.jpg[/url]

Thank you all for the quick replys. I feel much better about the cabin location now, especially after veiwing the lovely picture. Thank you Kevin's Girl for including that link. The flight sounds like we might be pushing it but with my husband and 2 teenage sons I know we can handle our own luggage.

I am thinking it would be a good idea to prearrange our transportaion to the airport. Does anyone have a ground transportaion company or limo service they can recommend? Also, what time would I arrange for them to pick us up at the port?

Thank you all for the quick replys. I feel much better about the cabin location now, especially after veiwing the lovely picture. Thank you Kevin's Girl for including that link. The flight sounds like we might be pushing it but with my husband and 2 teenage sons I know we can handle our own luggage.

I am thinking it would be a good idea to prearrange our transportaion to the airport. Does anyone have a ground transportaion company or limo service they can recommend? Also, what time would I arrange for them to pick us up at the port?

You will waste time having to track down a prearranged ride. I would just grab one of the tons of taxis that will be lined up there. I docked in Miami and flew out of FLL (40 minute ride) and we did self-disembark and we were at the airport by 8:30 am. Unless there is a major problem you should have no problems making your flight.

Thmacs user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_12786556", true);

Cool Cruiser

Speaking from experience, ( I planned our first family cruise for last March), plan but don't stress!!! This is a wonderful time for you and your family and a time for making wonderful and lasting memories. :) Be prepared and do your homework here and then let the rest fall into place.

We just sailed Jewel the beginning of the month and she is just beautiful. You and your family will have a wonderful time.

If you are extremely unhappy with the TA perhaps you could communicate this in a nice way and see what happens. Good luck and do enjoy your family cruise.:)

The Jewel is the only cruise I have been on, so of course I am biased. It is a wonderful ship. (and you always remember your first ;) )

I was very nervous before the cruise, but thankfully we found these boards, and all my worries were taken care of. (the people here are very giving of their expertise and suggestions)

If you haven't already, check out your roll call thread! The people there will be on the same sailing as you, and will certainly be able to help you.

Thanks again for all the help. Glad to know I needn't worry about post cruise transportation and we can grab a taxi from the port. Our TA is very nice and only books crusies and actually recommended the Jewel over other ships I had asked about. They just seem to have a hard time answering practical questions like "how do we get tranportation to the airport after the cruise". I really appreciate the kindness and quick replys.

Gail

We booked through a local TA and I don't feel they are being as helpful as they could. Very vague whenever I ask a question so I am coming here for some much need assurance or advice. We booked 2 cabins (9500 and 9501) on the Jewel 03/22/08. I am worried about being in the front of the ship under the bridge. I am not so worried about the motion as none of us are prone to motion sickness, but will our balcony be obstructed? will I hate the front of the boat?. I have read the back is the "prime real estae" does the front suck?

Also, we booked our own airfare and have a 10:50am flight out of FLL. Is this going to be enough time? Also, I have read about "express walk off". Does this mean we take our own luggage off the ship and can disembark first? ANy help with these issues will be greatly appreciated.

Gail

Thmacs,

Welcome. Be sure to join our roll call for the March 22, 20008 8 day cruise aboard the Jewel of the Seas. The Spring Break "Royal Nuts" gang is over 50 strong. We would love to have you, and your family, join us. Our group is comprised of couples and families; you and yours are sure to fit in.

Gail-

Generally speaking, most TAs recommend booking return flights at noon or after, just so you don't have to stress. That being said, the port and FLL are close together and my guess is that you will be checked in for your flight by 9 a.m. Our last cruise out of Miami we had an early (11ish) flight out of West Palm. We had to pick up a rental car, meet my parents to pick up the kids, drive 45 minutes and still made it to the airport in plenty of time. It was just stressful.

Have a wonderful vacation! Family cruising is the best!

Kelly

First being up front should not be a problem. I've been there and didn't mind. There are however 2 rooms next to each other one level lower on 8. It is same size room but E1 I believe on deck 8. They are more aft but not bad. You will also save $ as lower rate.

Next time even if you use a TA go to RCCL site and look at what rooms are available and pick your own room/rooms and tell TA what you want. You can then be in control of where you are in relationship to jogging track/showrooms/or anything else that may be undesireable.

Thanks again for all the help and assurance. I feel much better about my decisons now that I have heard from some experienced cruisers first hand.

Tracey-My sons are 17 and 13 and have never been on a crusie before. My husband and I went on one cruise when we lived in FL 5 years ago. We loved it and have finally been able to arrange a trip for the whole family. We just drove to the port when we lived in FL, that's why the departure timing has got me a little worried. I do remember being off the ship and in our car on the way home by 8:00 am. I guess that's why I thought a 10:50 am flight would be OK. Now if I can just get all my shore excursion lined up I will feel like I really have a handle on everything. So far I have booked a full day sail on Rumbaba with Capt. Bobby. I only saw great reveiws of this trip but if any one has any first hand experience I would love to hear about it. I havn't made any other decisions yet but if any one has suggestions I would love to hear them.

G

We also have a daughter 12 (13 in May, 2008). They have been on a few cruises and absolutely love them. We are going on the golden eagle catamaran in St. Maarten, and also a catamaran in St. Thomas. That is our favorite excursion. Its a large sailing excursion and the kids are able to snorkle (just the guys) and sit on the large nets in front.

The kids love the other kids they meet and did attend many of the ships activities that are planned. Last time we went John was in 2003, so its been awhile. John was 10, but would leave adventure ocean, hit the phone by the elevator, order a pepperoni pizza and a chocolate milk from room service, and by the time he got to the cabin it would arrive. His bedtime snack. He did this all 7 nights.

Final payment is next week, then it will become more real. lol!!

Archived