First Cruise and it may be a mess

RookieSailer

My husband gave my daughter & I a cruise as a Christmas gift--we've NEVER done anything like this. We sail on Ecstasy on Jan 3 to Cozumel.

Problem: We don't have passports, and the only ID my daughter has is a school picture ID. Are we in for trouble and complications? Any advise?

Definitely you will need certified copies of your birth certificate (must have a raised seal or hologram stamp or some other thing signifying its authenticity)...a simply photocopy will not work. IF your daughter is over 16, she will need a photo i.d. Call 1-800-Carnival to find out exactly what is needed. Good luck and happy sailing!

Like the previous poster stated, you don't need passports, but do need birth certificates (raised seal). How old is your daughter? I'm not sure at what age they require "official" ID, but you should be able to go to your DMV on Wednesday and get a state ID...looks just like a driver's license. A lot of my friends would get them to have ID to get into bars in case they got a traffic ticket!

Enjoy your cruise!

You can cruise with a government issued phot ID like a driver's license and an original birth certificat or a certified copy with raised seal, you must have both of these documents if you wish to cruise and do not have a passport.

I'm not sure what the current requirements are for minor children. Without a passport you will need at the very least a birth certificate.

Thanks to you all....

We have tried asking Carnival, but couldn't really get an answer. It was almost as if they were afraid to give a definite "You're going to be fine" answer. When you read the website "This requirement may become effective as early as Summer 2008. " ...it still leaves room for me to worry. My daughter is 15, so she has no DL.

Thanks for all you help. Yesterday was my first day on this board, and you guys look like you have tons of fun.

Like the previous poster stated, you don't need passports, but do need birth certificates (raised seal). How old is your daughter? I'm not sure at what age they require "official" ID, but you should be able to go to your DMV on Wednesday and get a state ID...looks just like a driver's license. A lot of my friends would get them to have ID to get into bars in case they got a traffic ticket!

Enjoy your cruise!

Any child 16 or older is required an 'official' photo ID:

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo IDs.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_travel_document.aspx

Bottom of the page.

Thanks to you all....

We have tried asking Carnival, but couldn't really get an answer. It was almost as if they were afraid to give a definite "You're going to be fine" answer. When you read the website "This requirement may become effective as early as Summer 2008. " ...it still leaves room for me to worry. My daughter is 15, so she has not DL.

Thanks for all you help. Yesterday was my first day on this board, and you guys look like you have tons of fun.

Considering her age she will be fine.

Now, you need to start packing and prepare to have a wonderul time!!!

My husband gave my daughter & I a cruise as a Christmas gift--we've NEVER done anything like this. We sail on Ecstasy on Jan 3 to Cozumel.

Problem: We don't have passports, and the only ID my daughter has is a school picture ID. Are we in for trouble and complications? Any advise?

As of January 31st, 2008 (you'll be home by then) stricter DHS rules will be in place:

U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

Carnival can have more restrictive requirements, the link provided by Host Mach shows Carnivals current rules.

I traveled with an expired Passport (four years expired) and a birth cert and Driver's License; and Mom traveled with no passport and birth cert with her birth name, different first, middle and last name from what's on her DL; and DD traveled with BC and school id. This was last Feb -- but no problems. (DD forgot her Drivers License.)

As of January 31st, 2008 (you'll be home by then) stricter DHS rules will be in place:

U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

Carnival can have more restrictive requirements, the link provided by Host Mach shows Carnivals current rules.

These are the general requirements. They do not apply to round-trip cruises yet.

The departments have also identified unique circumstances for specific groups of travelers that warrant permitting the use of alternative documents.

• U.S. citizens on round trip cruise ship voyages that originate and end in the United States may present a government-issued photo ID and birth certificates, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under 16 as well as children ages 18 and under traveling in designated groups may present certified copies of their birth certificates. U.S. children may also present Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization.
  • Alien Members of the U.S. Armed Forces and Members of NATO-Member Armed Forces may present military identification and official orders.
  • Members of the Kickapoo Band of Texas and Tribe of Oklahoma may present the Form I-872 American Indian Card.

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1182350422171.shtm

First of all...congrats on your wonderful christmas present, what a thoughtful husband, and that this was such a surprise is great....you will be fine with her student ID, just remember to get right to city hall and get your offical B.C....have a great time......

These are the general requirements. They do not apply to round-trip cruises yet.

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1182350422171.shtm

The phrase you highlighted in bold in your quote "

U.S. citizens on round trip cruise ship voyages that originate and end in the United States may present a government-issued photo ID and birth certificates, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization." and the part of my post you quoted "or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate." mean the same thing...

All I said was that the restrictions I listed won't go into effect until Jan 31st, 2008...after the OP's cruise.

In reality, an oral declaration of your U.S. Citizenship is still generally accepted by DHS until Jan 30th, 2008. Carnival can and will expect better ID than that. ;)

In reality, an oral declaration of your U.S. Citizenship is still generally accepted by DHS until Jan 30th, 2008. Carnival can and will expect better ID than that. ;)

Ok...What I was missing was the "what's changed?". You are right, an oral declaration will no longer be accepted for entry.

Just out of curiosity....when did Carnival allow anyone to board based on an oral declaration? They don't now and have never done so to my knowledge.

Ok...What I was missing was the "what's changed?". You are right, an oral declaration will no longer be accepted for entry.

Just out of curiosity....when did Carnival allow anyone to board based on an oral declaration? They don't now and have never done so to my knowledge.

As far as I know they never have, and I'm not sure what I wrote to make you think that I was claiming that they had. Now, back on topic. ;) :D

As far as I know they never have, and I'm not sure what I wrote to make you think that I was claiming that they had. Now, back on topic. ;) :D

Your posting creates the impression that a rule change would effect the OP if she were returning from her cruise on or after Jan. 31 2008. What other reason could you have for posting it. I was pointing out that nothing changes on Jan 31, in regard to round-trip cruises, that's all. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. :D

Your posting creates the impression that a rule change would effect the OP if she were returning from her cruise on or after Jan. 31 2008. What other reason could you have for posting it. I was pointing out that nothing changes on Jan 31, in regard to round-trip cruises, that's all. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. :D

Not ruffled, was just confused. I was attempting to say that there are the Government's rules for ID's, and then there are Carnival's rules.

You have to comply with both sets, whatever they are. Host Mach provided a link to Carnival's rules, and I attempted (poorly) to explain the US Governments constantly changing ID rules, and to explain why some of the previous posters were able to get by with less than "official" ID's.

Archived