Zip Line Excursion???

b&hluv2cruise

Yes, but you don't want to "brake" unless they tell you to, as you near the next platform. Otherwise, you'll find yourself having to hand-over-hand pull yourself the rest of the way if you lose too much momentum. Trust the guides. They're a lot of fun, but won't let you get hurt.

Any recommendations on the zip line excursion???

We went with Chukka Canopy Tours. It was the BEST excursion!! Our only recommendation would be to sign up for BOTH the early and the later ones, so you could do it twice. :D If we go back, that's what we'll do, and skip shopping altogether.

You get strapped into a harness, and have a thing that hooks to TWO cables. They told us that they inspect the cables and stuff every day. The guides were outstanding. Some of the zip lines go from tree-to-tree (platforms up in the trees, actually), and about three of them were kinda short. The last one (over 1,000 feet long) was a BLAST... and overwith too soon.

I checked Chukka Zip web site to poss. make some reservation (will be on the Mariner of the Seas) and it says Resort and local people only! Has any one made reservation but been from the cruise ship?

Apparently the only way to do this zip line is thru a cruise excursion huh.

Thanks

Im concerned of it being too scary, Im a big baby about heights, unsure about heights AND going really fast!...lol.

Come on Puddin'. You can handle it.:p ;)

My wife did it and screamed (rather squaked) but the real "scream queen" of our group was our associate pastor's wife. Her screams were much more heartfelt and sincere. My wife was just making noise, AP's wife was truly terrified. Both loved the adventure.

If safety on the zipline is your concern, consider this. They have many people ride the ziplines every day. They have to keep everything well inspected and maintained to keep their customers from getting hurt. If word gets out that people are falling or getting injured regularly, they can kiss their income good-bye.

Great thread, exact info I was looking for!

I checked a popular video sharing website and saw a ton of vids from this excursion. I am sorta a video geek. How hard would it be to bring my vid cam with me on this excursion? I would certainly buy some of the pics they take of us but would also like to get some video on my own.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Are there mosquitos or lots of bugs?

Maggie

We never saw any insects. And to top that, the operators of the zipline had lit and positioned insect coils all along the trails. They also offered insect repellant spray as soon as we were off the bus at the excursion.

Thank you. My DD is very sensitive to mosquito bites. Each bite turns into a huge bump the size of a quarter. So we try to minimize her exposure to mosquitos. But this sounds like an excursion we would all like to do. But not at the cost of ruining the rest of our vacation if DD would be miserable with mosquito bites.

Maggie

Thank you. My DD is very sensitive to mosquito bites. Each bite turns into a huge bump the size of a quarter. So we try to minimize her exposure to mosquitos. But this sounds like an excursion we would all like to do. But not at the cost of ruining the rest of our vacation if DD would be miserable with mosquito bites.

Maggie

We did this in Feb and didn't see or hear any mosquito's and I wasn't wearing any spray.

Maggie

I am a HUGE mosquito magnet and get bad reactions to bites. We went in March. I sprayed with insect repellent before going, and then also used the repellent they had available where you put your harness on. I was paranoid. And I did NOT get one bite. Never saw a mosquito even. Don't let the mosquitoes keep you from doing this great excursion.

Just got back from VOS cruise and did MB canopy tour. I wore bug spray but dont recall ever seeing a bug. HMMM.....not to say there werent any. BUT I usually am also one who gets mosquito bites easily.

By the way, it was total blast and the guides were the freindliest people ever!! I was so scared to go to Jamaica, but couldnt have had more fun!!!:D

There are 8 of us DH, DW and 6 teenagers on FOS June 8 who really want to do this tour. I'm trying to get a definitive answer: Most people say you can only book this through RCCL but SOME say you can book it independently.

I'm paying for all so if I can save on this one......I really need to. If yes, what are the websites to book the tour. Also, if you have to book through RCCL, can you get discounts if you wait to book onboard? THANX!!!

There are 8 of us DH, DW and 6 teenagers on FOS June 8 who really want to do this tour. I'm trying to get a definitive answer: Most people say you can only book this through RCCL but SOME say you can book it independently.

I'm paying for all so if I can save on this one......I really need to. If yes, what are the websites to book the tour. Also, if you have to book through RCCL, can you get discounts if you wait to book onboard? THANX!!!

I can tell you no discounts for booking onboard and you risk it being sold out. this is an extremely popular excursion.

Will you been in Ocho Rio's or Montego Bay?

I found this for Ocho Rio's, but it is ATV as well:

http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/JamaicaATVZipline.htm

thank-you. i saw that combo tour as well. it only has 3 ziplines, though. we really want to do the canopy tour in ocho rios.

(9 zips, i believe with rave reviews)

I hope there is a way around the $99pp times 8...............YIKES!!

thank-you. i saw that combo tour as well. it only has 3 ziplines, though. we really want to do the canopy tour in ocho rios.

(9 zips, i believe with rave reviews)

I hope there is a way around the $99pp times 8...............YIKES!!

when you go to this page

http://tickets.chukkacaribbean.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=7

it state you can ONLY book independant IF you are NOT on a cruise ship and the price is $88. I dont think you will get around that either. You should decide quickly as our tour we went on filled up about 3 months in advance.

Goodluck!! and the one in MB was so worth it!! We had a blast!!:D

We're scheduled for the Chukka Canopy Experience in June. My husband is a good sized guy - 6'1" and 235 lbs. This is getting close to the weight restricted limit of 250 lbs. We wouldn't hesitate to cancel if this is too risky. Have any of you witnessed a person of his size do the zip line, or are any of you who have already done this, about his size? We were really looking forward to doing this excursion, but after reading about the accident in Roatan, we're having second thoughts. Thanks for your input!!

:confused:

We're scheduled for the Chukka Canopy Experience in June. My husband is a good sized guy - 6'1" and 235 lbs. This is getting close to the weight restricted limit of 250 lbs. We wouldn't hesitate to cancel if this is too risky. Have any of you witnessed a person of his size do the zip line, or are any of you who have already done this, about his size? We were really looking forward to doing this excursion, but after reading about the accident in Roatan, we're having second thoughts. Thanks for your input!!

:eek: We did that same excursion in June 07 and just did Chukka 3/26, but after reading that story I will NEVER be able to do one again. I know there are no guarentees in life, but that is extremely upsetting. Some of the way's I saw the cables connected to the tree's in Jamaica, and some of the platforms we stood on made me scared already. I myself wouldnt take a risk if I were near a weight limit. They take SO MANY people at one time (we had 3 groups of 14) and there were several larger men........now I am praising the Lord that nothing happened to us. Seriously, the platforms are plastic and they crammed as many of us on them as they could....I just dont trust the safety ropes they had tied to the trees enough to want to do that ever again. :( anywhere!

I hope I dont upset anybody, just had to get this off my chest.

p.s. on the last zip in Jamaica all but ONE of our group (14) got stuck a good ways from the end and had to pull ourselves in, IF that guide in Roatan did come to rescue the lady, I would be afraid to get stuck now. they have so many of us to worry about and they were rushing us so bad, no wonder they FORGOT to connect her safety line??

That's what I needed to know. I would probably be so worried before we went that the fun would be taken out of it anyhow. I also just read that lightweights (me) often get stuck in the middle -- after reading about what "might" have happened in Roatan, that would scare me to death:eek:

Tell your husband to quit worrying. I stand 6'-7.5" tall and weigh 225 pounds.I did it and lived to tell the tale.

Archived