Sand Flees???

cruisin2000

Can someone clear something up for me? I have been on many cruises, all in Jan and Feb. and to most of the Caribbean Islands the cruises ships sail to. I have been reading many posts lately that people have been severely bitten by sand flees on the beaches of many of the islands. The posts seem to be people who have cruised during Oct, Nov and Dec. I have never had a problem on my previous cruises. We are going again in Feb and was wondering if I can expect a problem or could this be season specific as in Oct-Dec? Would appreciate any thoughts.

I have cruised in January before and the only strange insect (if you want to call it that) i saw were these mini crabs that made holes into the sand and disappeared in it. My bf was jumping around every time he saw one. :p

I saw them in Barbados and Dominica but never in St Thomas, St Martin, St John, Grand Turk.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye out when you get to the beach.

Can someone clear something up for me? I have been on many cruises, all in Jan and Feb. and to most of the Caribbean Islands the cruises ships sail to. I have been reading many posts lately that people have been severely bitten by sand flees on the beaches of many of the islands. The posts seem to be people who have cruised during Oct, Nov and Dec. I have never had a problem on my previous cruises. We are going again in Feb and was wondering if I can expect a problem or could this be season specific as in Oct-Dec? Would appreciate any thoughts.
Interesting and I sware I read somewhere that Dec was the worst, but I could be imagining things. You are right, most people I know who have gotten eaten alive have cruised in November or December.

Nita

I have seen plenty of sand fleas, but have never been bitten.

I don't think you could get bitten unless you sit directly in the sand at the water's edge. They don't bother you anywhere else - not while swimming and not further up on the beach.

Sand fleas have to be about the easiest type of issue to avoid!

when i as a kid in california, way before they started raking and grooming the beaches....if you moved a pile of seaweed, swarms of flies and sand fleas. never been bite by them, i think if you don't play in the sand?

it's not something i would spend a second getting another grey hair.

I don't know about sand fleas, but my mother sat on some red algae at ncl's

cay and wow did she have a reaction. just giving a heads's up. The stuff was underwater and on some of the rocks. She blew up loke a baloon and had hives. It was, however in May.

red coral can cause BIG problems, also. my 1st cruise to st. thomas, we took one of the catamarin ride to a secluded beach. something brushed the top of my feet...it swelled up to 3 times it size, all red on top...couldn't wear anything but one pair of sandals. some people, that saw it, said it was blood poisoning but nothing bite me, no skin broken. it took over a year for the red to totally fade. it could have been a water plant, more likely it was a piece of a jellyfish.

this isn't to scare anyone, but it's a big ocean....i am more senstive then some, but others can be more senstive then me. if you do get a reaction to something, get help.

but, please, don't blame the cruiseline, they can't control the whole ocean.:D

We called them "no-seeums" because you really can't see them. We put on insect repellant. We were not bitten, but my daughter went swimming... which washed off the repellant and she was bitten. This was in Honduras in June. Nancy

I encountered a problem with sand fleas on the beach in Roatan. We were there in May. However, I purchased a sunscreen called "Safe Sea," and after I started using that we didn't have anymore trouble. It also helped on a recent trip to the Dominican Republic, where a lot of the guests at the resort we were staying at had multiple sand flea marks, but we were fine. It's fairly pricey for sunscreen, but to me is worth it to avoid those nasty red spots.

This is kindasorta close. I spent a lovely 18 months in Panama years ago, thanks to my Uncle Sam. We got bitten by sand fleas year 'round, even if not near the beach. They seemed to like joints most of all, and the itch was pretty bad. Only thing we found that relieved it a bit was Absorbine Jr, which I don't know even exists anymore...

As a kid in Miami, we were warned about the Portugese Man of War. This is a nasty blue jellyfish with long tentacles. You can't even get near one in bare feet on a beach without getting injured.

As others have said, the sea can be dangerous, and you can't expect the cruise line or anyone else to protect you from the dangers.

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I'm not really worried about them or anything else in the sea. I have been stung and bitten more times than I can remember. I really did not want to carry one more item (insect repellant), but that "Sea Safe" sunscreen sounds great, two in one. Thanks Reebster for the recommend.

DH and I were on the beach and in the water at every port stop on the 9-day southern caribbean swing 11/30 - 12/9 (NCL Pearl). No bites to report, no sightings of insect swarms, no jellyfish...sigh...very boring...:p

If I were you, I'd take repellents just in case, but don't worry overly about any of it, unless you are allergic.

red coral can cause BIG problems, also. my 1st cruise to st. thomas, we took one of the catamarin ride to a secluded beach. something brushed the top of my feet...it swelled up to 3 times it size, all red on top...couldn't wear anything but one pair of sandals. some people, that saw it, said it was blood poisoning but nothing bite me, no skin broken. it took over a year for the red to totally fade. it could have been a water plant, more likely it was a piece of a jellyfish.

this isn't to scare anyone, but it's a big ocean....i am more senstive then some, but others can be more senstive then me. if you do get a reaction to something, get help.

but, please, don't blame the cruiseline, they can't control the whole ocean.:D

I barely touched a little coral a few months ago while snorkeling. Just a slight touch which I wasn't even aware of: my hand swelled up and itched like crazy for a few days, It certainly wasn't the end of the world, but a little annoying to say the least.

Nita

Archived