Tendering more than once?

Ally's Mom

My DH and I will be sailing on the Norwegian Majesty (our first cruise) on January 19th. While in Grand Cayman, we are taking the Stingray City tour with Moby Dick tours, which is scheduled to last from around 9-12. My question is--in the interest of saving money--is it feasible for us to return to the ship after our tour, eat lunch on the ship, and tender back to port to walk around or possibly go to Seven Mile Beach for a little while? Have any past Majesty pax tendered more than once in GC, or do you think it's even a possibility? Thanks for your help!

My DH and I will be sailing on the Norwegian Majesty (our first cruise) on January 19th. While in Grand Cayman' date=' we are taking the Stingray City tour with Moby Dick tours, which is scheduled to last from around 9-12. My question is--in the interest of saving money--is it feasible for us to return to the ship after our tour, eat lunch on the ship, and tender back to port to walk around or possibly go to Seven Mile Beach for a little while? Have any past Majesty pax tendered more than once in GC, or do you think it's even a possibility? Thanks for your help![/quote']

It depends...

There is no rule against it....yes you can do it....the question comes to time. You can easily consume 30 minutes or more on each tender trip. The tender may sit for 10 or 15 minutes filling....there may be so many ships in that your tender is in line to use the landing; your ship may be anchored/loitering farther out.....so each trip is a bit longer. Your trip back for lunch could be a 3 hour trip .... or it could be an hour ..... it depends.

I find one round trip on the tenders to be plenty....but I can't recommend a place for an inexpensive lunch in CI I'm afraid. Remember, She may look 20, but she's 16 CI :p

So maybe a big breakfast and a snack/late lunch from room service when you return later in the day??????

Or bite the bullet, head to Sunset House and have some great fritters and if your ship is leaving late enuf, watch for 'the green flash'

sunsethouse.com

Hey Kara -

The Majesty leaves at 3:00, which means that the last tender leaves at 2:30 or 2:40, which means you have to be in line at 2:00.... or something like that. I would say it's doubtful that you would want to spend time tendering back and forth - it isn't a particularly quick process. To save money, you could just buy a light snack in GC, then have a late lunch at 2:30 back on the ship.

Debbie

I appreciate your input. I figured there wouldn't be enough time. We will probably briefly visit 7MB before going back to the ship for lunch. I didn't know if we would have time for a big breakfast before our excursion since we'll have to get up early to try to get an early tender that morning.

Debbie--we hope to meet you and Paul on the ship! 18 more days!!!

Kara

• 2 weeks later...

The night before you get to grand cayman, call for room service, Get a few sandwiches etc and put them into a small softsided cooler that you brought along. Fill with ice and you are good to go!

We usually just take along some zip lock baggies (quart size for the plane) and put the sandwiches in them. Put ice in the other zip locks. Throw it in a back pack.

When you leave at 3pm you really eat up a lot of time going back and forth to the ship!

Lee

You are certainly allowed to do this, but it's not very practical. As other said, tendering is not a quick process -- especially if you happen to be one of the first to board the tender; you'll have to wait for the whole thing to fill up before you can begin the trip back.

I vote for having a big breakfast, then calling it a day around 1:00 or 2:00 and heading back to the ship for a late lunch.

If you decide to tender twice, going back to 7-mile beach (which would require a taxi) would be impractical. If you decide to do this, it would be more practical to do the beach in the morning, go back to the ship for lunch, then hit the shops near the port after your second tender.

Your return-to-the-ship plan is much more feasible in Jamaica and Cozumel where the ship pulls up to a dock and you can just walk on and off (well, you have to go through security, but it's considerably faster than going through the tender process).

The night before you get to grand cayman, call for room service, Get a few sandwiches etc and put them into a small softsided cooler that you brought along. Fill with ice and you are good to go!

We usually just take along some zip lock baggies (quart size for the plane) and put the sandwiches in them. Put ice in the other zip locks. Throw it in a back pack.

When you leave at 3pm you really eat up a lot of time going back and forth to the ship!

Lee

There are signs at the gangplank saying that you cannot bring food off the ship. If security sees it, they will take it from you.

Archived