Wearing Stingrays Like a Hat???

jenyates

Hi all,

We just returned from our 3rd trip to Grand Cayman and Sting Ray City (my favorite spot in the Caribbean), and this last time I witnessed the rather disturbing spectacle of some guides lifting a ray completely out of the water and setting it, flapping and spitting, on a guest's head as a photo op. Now, I'm the farthest thing from a bleeding-heart environmentalist, but this looked kind of cruel. I was glad our guides (we went with Soto's) didn't do this - they did the "back massage", which I suppose was better since it didn't remove the ray from the water altogether. Does anyone else have thoughts on this? Our previous 2 trips have been in the last 2 years, and I don't remember seeing these stunts before, so is this new? In all of our trips, the guides always stress to never remove the ray from the water while you're holding it and/or petting it, so that the ray isn't deprived of oxygen. I wonder if this "hat trick" stunt isn't hurting, or at the very least, traumatizing the rays.

Just had to vent on this - anyone else?

I have to agree with you. Usually when in the ocean, you are not supposed to touch anything or harass any marine life. Unfortunately, Stingray City seems to be immune to that and anything goes. All the snorkel trips I've taken in Cayman all seem to follow that - the boat guides are always trying to find an eel or nurse shark for you to handle. If people have never snorkeled before and see this behavior, they think it is okay, and then assume they can do it anywhere. Its too bad since so many places I've snorkeled show the damage of humans. Even watching tv doesn't teach the right thing - it makes me cringe at some of the underwater stunts I've seen on that MTV show Jacka**, and even Crocodile Hunter.

Anyway, climbing down off my soapbox... :o

The problem may be with lack of monitoring in the area by proper authorities. I know the guides who have been doing it a long time respect the wildlife, and make sure their passengers know what they should and shouldn't do. However, some of the newer, younger types may not be as careful, and should be reeled in quickly. This reminds me of a visit to Hawaii last year when, contrary to everything published about touching the sea turtles, I saw a 200 plus slob trying to ride a 2 foot turtle. The things you see when you don't have a gun.

The things you see when you don't have a gun - I love it!!

I read a long thread about this a few months ago and decided to go with Captain Marvins because they don't do this (according to the thread). I have mixed feelings about going to Stingray City at all; it can't be healthy for the rays to be touched and fed, but wearing them as a hat is just too much.

I hope I'm not forced to embarrass my family by making an "animal rights" scene!

One of the good things about the Caymans is how tightly they monitor their tourism industry. Ever notice how there's never anyone doing the "Come into my store mon, I have a deal for you" high-pressure sales thing in GC? That's because there's fines if they do. If enough people complain to the right people the locals react quickly. GC tries hard not to be like every other island in the caribbean

I hope they can recover for Ivan quickly!

I really enjoyed Stingray City and have reservations to return in November. I also felt a bit uncomfortable with the way some were handling the rays. Fortunately, our guide never removed one from the water, that would be torture, like our head being held underwater!! I would love to swim with dolphins, but never have, I can't accept the way they keep them penned up in such a small area then charge a fortune for the experience.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Archived