Granny's 2008 Adventure

GrannyLorr

I know it's tough, but it's so unpleasant. Second-hand smoke is unhealthy for both passengers and crew.

I can't disagree about the health issue, but it appears to me that the majority of the crew and officers smoke.

Second hand smoke can bother me at times too, there are far more "smoke free" places to sit that ones that have smoke wafting...

What I find odd it that they eliminated smoking in the fish bowl and the bar in the Club and placed in next to the piano. The singers must love that! :rolleyes:

We did the Pride crossing last March. I am bothered by cigarette smoke, but don't recall it being much of a problem at that time. Also, for those who worry that the 'fun and games' atmosphere on the crossings is....overwhelming (for want of a better word at the moment), it's really not. We were aware there were some regulars who'd communicated on these boards about planned get-togethers, etc.....but it wasn't our cup of tea and no problem at all not to be part of things.

And to add my 2cents to the topic of size (hope we're not high-jacking here), spouse and I thought SB (as well as SS) to be absolutely right! We are just back from our first (and last) experience on Holland, aboard the 1200 pax Ryndam (their smallest w/ the exception of the Prisendam). And, as we'd suspected, it just wasn't a 'fit' for us. No desire to ever do it again. If we can't board an all-inclusive ship with fewer than 400 passengers, then we won't sail at all. Sigh.

But to get back on track here, Granny - Now that you are safely back home, here's another word of appreciation for taking us along on your fabulous, fabulous journey (well, except for the getting-back-home flights and airports which I didn't envy at all!). You are a great storyteller - and finishing up the saga with your Lisbon adventures was 'icing on the cake'...and had me laughing out loud! Many thanks for sharing it all with us.

Second hand smoke can bother me at times too, there are far more "smoke free" places to sit that ones that have smoke wafting...

:rolleyes:

are there? where are all these "smoke free" places? apart from the Dining areas (well the inside dining areas anyway....not the Sky grill) maybe your own suite........and you could sit in lectures all day I suppose in the Show Lounge......:rolleyes:

Itsally and Lola, if there is anything I have learned about travelling, it is that there is no point getting upset about things......just have to go with the flow...getting upset and anxious doesnt help at all. Of course I often feel like thumping ~someone~ but its easier just to laugh it off.

We had a lady on the same table one night, got very upset because she didnt think she got "vegetarian soup"....everyone else had green things floating in their soup and she didnt...therefore hers wasnt "vegetarian"...and as she was "partly vegetarian"....it just was a huge problem! Of course I didnt help matters much when I pointed out it didnt say VEGETARIAN in the menu...it said VEGETABLE....then went on to say that vegetable soup "could" have a chicken etc stock base.....after a lot of fuss, she ended up going without.......John said to her, that all she had acheived was upsetting herself and spoiling her dinner...her reply was "I do it to keep them on their toes"!! :eek: Her next course?? DUCK! Suppose the poor duck was once a vegetarian so that may work.......

Yes Steve, only once that I can remember...and it was lamb....poor thing was still going "baa baa" at me.......much too rare for me.

Just thought of another one, we both sent our soup back at lunch one day........cant remember what sort it was but sounded like something we would like......cauliflower or asparagus or something.......anyway it was COLD....dead cold......we just thought maybe they had forgotten to stick it in the mike....well no, it was supposed to be COLD.......usually a "chilled soup" will say that on the menu...this one didnt....just cant come at cold soup! :o

Lorraine

Thanks for those fabulous pics. Made me "homesick" all over again. Not sure which I enjoyed most--the crew, the towel animals or John.

Spent the day re-reading your journey from beginning to end and laughing harder than the first time. (Beats unpacking any day.)

Keep your posts coming under any guise. Can't do without my morning coffee, the newpaper and my dose of Granny.

Judith

Thanks Judith....I have loads more pics to upload but have just got a new computer with Vista and dont know how to drive the thing properly yet! :( I also had a dirty lens on my camera, so need to "photoshop" EVERY photo to clean them up....taking a very long time. I will get there eventually! (Maybe just in time for our next cruise!)

• 4 weeks later...

To those who are still interested in photos of my long ago trip, I have just uploaded another 4 folders of pics. I have been very very lazy lately......:)

They are.........Arica to Santiago.........Ballestas Islands Peru.........Barbados......Seabourn Experience "Boi Bumba".......

Archived