Granny's 2008 Adventure

GrannyLorr

And since we're talking about bad apples, what happened to the odd-man-out on your original trivia team? Did he go quietly or did he become the man in the restaurant?

ok to answer some questions......

the "odd man out"on the trivia team soon got the message that we werent happy with his cut throat attitude.....after a couple of days he settled down and behaved most of the time......sometimes he did get a bit "pushy" wanting us to use his answer all the time......after we threatened to throw him overboard if he was wrong......he wasnt quite so insistant. Anyway I was the scribe so just told him I would take the majority vote for all answers...right or wrong! DONT MESS WITH GRANNY......we did win though! :D

Granny,

Whatever became of the gentleman who pitched a hissy fit in the restaurant and then wanted to become your "friend"? I found the situation quite interesting.

Lois (Mrs. Jack)

"gentleman"??? not quite what I would call him LOL :rolleyes: anyway, he completed the 72 days.......must admit I was always watching him to see if he would throw another hissy fit.....think he came close a few times. He never did become our "friend" we are a wee bit fussier than that! We would say hello but that was about as friendly as we got! As I said at one stage they had a lot of Seabourn days under their belts, so were obviously well known......"high maintenance" passengers.....I believe he was spoken too by ~someone~ on the ship, even though us and the friend he abused were happy to leave the matter alone......

GrannyLorr,

What are your feelings about Seabourn after 130+ days over just 2 cruises? I know you've booked another cruise with them for later next year, but would you consider another line? Just curious.

So just because you've dined on caviar and Champagne, doesn't mean you still can't enjoy a pie with sauce and a stubbie.

You've inspired me to at least try to keep a journal. What a great record of an amazing trip this thread is!

I may not post regularly during the trip though. I have done it once before, and I'm afraid I spent some time worrying about posting instead of enjoying my holiday

Cheers,

Steve.

You certainly dont want to ruin your trip by thinking you "must" keep a journal. I enjoy writing, find it relaxing, think there is a frustrated novelist in there somewhere......;) and am also an internet junkie, so logging on every day was never a problem for me! (however the cost was!!!)

Maybe you could just keep a notebook and jot down "dot points" and write it up when you get home and have nothing else to do! :D

Caviar? I hate the stuff.....and would you believe I havent even had a pie yet! Must take care of that over the weekend.....have had a few stubbies though...also had some on the ship....its not the "luxury" of Seabourn that attracts us...as you know we camp, travel by Amtrak.........stay in 3 star hotels, whatever......I think the number one thing Seabourn has to offer is their crew......they are what makes the cruise so good. Yes the food is great, but at the end we were ordering things like toated cheese sandwiches etc.......we find the wine good (some wine buffs have other things to say at times but we aint wine buffs!) but at the end I was having about one sip of wine and just having my water topped up all night!

Would we consider cruising with another line? I would never say never, so yes we would consider it. After 140 days on Seabourn we have learnt what we would and wouldnt like on any cruise. Dont think we could ever go on those huge monsters though.....I would get vertigo on the balcony! (and they always look like they would topple over!) We wouldnt like a cruise with "set meal times"........we do like the "all inclusive" idea......could never cruise in an "inside cabin".......however who knows what the future holds and I read about them all!

>"a pie with sauce and a stubbie."

And just what delicacies are they?

Well Jane........

Translation from Australian to American:

A single serve meat pie with ketchup and a 12oz bottle of beer.

Cheers,

Steve.

8984.jpg

Tht photo is a fraud! No self-respecting Aussie would have a meat pie without mushy peas...and that is not near enough ketchup!

Boatman....mushy peas is a "regional" thing...but as you spent some time in good old Brissy you probably came across them at times...yuk! I hate them.....mostly its a "South Aussie" thing.....never heard of mushy peas when I lived in Melbourne....actually they served mushy peas on the Pride on "fish and chips" day....LOL....wasnt quite right though....they just mashed up green peas....sometimes I think they need the help of old Grannys in that Galley!! Then again the last couple of days I have been trying to make those chocolate coated icecreams they serve after dinner sometimes on the ships......mine dont look "quite Seabourn".....think maybe Chef Markus left out some ingredients or directions......so Chef Markus...if you are reading this....can I have another lesson please? I promise I wont mention the souffle again!

Tht photo is a fraud! No self-respecting Aussie would have a meat pie without mushy peas...and that is not near enough ketchup!

Eric,

As Granny said the 'Pie Floater' is a regional 'delicacy', and is traditionally only eaten after first having consumed 12 stubbies:D .

Now, no more on this or it will turn into a Vegemite thread;) .

To keep things at least partially on topic, does Seabourn try to include regional food as it sails to different countries?

>"Didn't Granny lose the Vegemite delivery on the way to the ship?"

I also had Vegemite and had to toss it in the bin because I had not packed it in my sent baggage and the TSA thought it was subversive.

I knew someone had Vegemite. :confused: It was you, Jane.:)

I have ordered some more, for Captain Dexter. I shall send it in my checked luggage this time. I understand he will be at the helm for the Baltic cruise.

I have been looking for some of the Orville Redenbacher popcorn with the Cinnabun seasonings for Carol Fry, but that seems to not be made any more. One tries.

I have just uploaded some pics of some of the crew...use the link at the bottom of this message.....hope to get some more uploaded this weekend while "camping"!!! BTW cands.....had a pie for lunch yesterday!

Great photos Lorraine! First impressions are they look like a happy lot. Happy crew = happy customers.

I hope you enjoyed your pie. None for me. I'm on a serious 'eating plan' until we leave.

I need to prepare for 8 weeks of indulgence by dropping a few kg now:p

Steve.

I have just uploaded some pics of some of the crew...use the link at the bottom of this message.....hope to get some more uploaded this weekend while "camping"!!! BTW cands.....had a pie for lunch yesterday!

How come the link is gone, Lorraine? Love to see the photos. Please post the link again, ok? BTW, the Regent's Paul Gaugin has a Jan. 25th stop in Brisbane next year. Check that out. Good ship and good cruise line.

>"I have just uploaded some pics of some of the crew..."

Thanks so much for the delightful stroll down memory lane. It certainly makes my anticipation of the Pride in May even more acute. I like the photo of Captain Dexter and Staff Captain Sigurd the best. That should be in the Seabourn brochure. I also think I espied our PCH in one of the SkyBar pics?

Great fun!

PS: The link is there, just click on the red 'My Photo Album'

Archived