Give this some thought!

Love him or hate him, there's a reason Ken Rush takes out all the new ships.

Probably cause the crew would rather not sail with him more than once.

Give me Dan "the Party Man" any day.

Is he still out there?

Hahah...ohgoshhh, no one likes Ken! He's totally sliding down my list then since it seems many people dislike him! He seemed friendly when RCTV filmed their "Day In A Life Of A Cruise Director" thing [is that what it was called?] but again, everyone's nice infront of the camera.

As for Dan, I'm looking at the list of current CDs and he doesn't appear to be on there :[

Marissa, Keiron Buffery (can't remember which ship) is a fantastic CD with a wealth of experience. We found him to be very approachable, extremely friendly and patient.

Those are good qualities I look for :]

I believe Keiron is now on the Navigator.

And I love Voyager class ships...mainly because I know where everything is located!

Marissa,

My vote goes to Clo O'Connor. She is married to an RCI chef, and she recently had a baby, but I heard she has returned to cruising. She is a very funny lady, most entertaining, and would probably give you a great story.

Rita

Marissa,

My vote goes to Clo O'Connor. She is married to an RCI chef, and she recently had a baby, but I heard she has returned to cruising. She is a very funny lady, most entertaining, and would probably give you a great story.

Rita

Oh cool! I didn't know she is married to a RCI chef!

I love talking to people who have cruise-ish families.

Tim Conner, Explorer's AM, had both parents work on a cruise ship when he was young and his father was a cruise director. Tim also started working for cruise lines when he was young in the UK. He was a very interesting person to talk to.

We had the fortunate experience to sail with Kirk on Mariner. He as great entertainer and he actually was a singer. He was personable and always around. Got to know him well since I actually took a boot camp aerobics work out with him 3 times while onbaord. He is no longer allowed to do that class I was told by james Andrews who we sailed with on LOS. He was nice too, but he was not an entertainer.

I think the point of interviewing a CD is for a project a school. One does not have to take a cruise to interview a CD. Many of them have web sites, the interview can be done on the phone. One does not have to cruise to get an interview, I remember from Marissa's previous posts her mom is a single mother. Perhaps cost isn't an issue, but as a parent how much money does one spend on one high school project? What kind of message does it send to a teenager to take 2 cruises for a high school project? Maybe I am way off base.

Here is the official site of RCCL

http://www.royalcaribbeanproductions.com/

you can find all of the currently employed CDs. As I said many of them have web sites and you can send them an email, or better yet have the school contact them.

If you are looking to vacation with them, which I am guessing is the real question, that is a personal choice. I would look at a cruise that has as many age appropiate activities and enjoy. Happy New Years everyone. And Marrisa good luck in high school, I think you will look at cruising in a whole different light when you are able to travel by yourself and pay your own ticket.

I think the point of interviewing a CD is for a project a school. One does not have to take a cruise to interview a CD. Many of them have web sites, the interview can be done on the phone. One does not have to cruise to get an interview, I remember from Marissa's previous posts her mom is a single mother. Perhaps cost isn't an issue, but as a parent how much money does one spend on one high school project? What kind of message does it send to a teenager to take 2 cruises for a high school project? Maybe I am way off base.

Here is the official site of RCCL

http://www.royalcaribbeanproductions.com/

you can find all of the currently employed CDs. As I said many of them have web sites and you can send them an email, or better yet have the school contact them.

If you are looking to vacation with them, which I am guessing is the real question, that is a personal choice. I would look at a cruise that has as many age appropiate activities and enjoy. Happy New Years everyone. And Marrisa good luck in high school, I think you will look at cruising in a whole different light when you are able to travel by yourself and pay your own ticket.

Thanks for all the advice :]

There's something about face-to-face interviews that I really love though. I mean, on the Explorer cruise I just got off, it was wonderful to actually sit down with the cruise director and talk. I know I've seen all the CD-hosted events a bunch of times already but being there and observing the CD in action was quite interesting, if you ask me, especially because I've cruised with Dave before and kind of know how he is as a CD already. And again, if my family is going on a cruise, it doesn't hurt to kill two birds with one stone, right? I can vacation and get some schoolwork done. Actually, my previous cruise was the perfect balance between the two. As for the cost, my grandmother is kind enough to pay and such just as long as I remain a hard-worker in everything I do :]

We had the fortunate experience to sail with Kirk on Mariner. He as great entertainer and he actually was a singer. He was personable and always around. Got to know him well since I actually took a boot camp aerobics work out with him 3 times while onbaord. He is no longer allowed to do that class I was told by james Andrews who we sailed with on LOS. He was nice too, but he was not an entertainer.

It seems many CDs have musical backrounds.

Dave Chapman and Tim Conner did :]

Even though his voice wasn't exactly showcased when he sung "Baby In The Morning" [HAHAHAH...except I think many of you don't know what I'm talking about...], Dave is a singer, plays instruments, and can Latin dance quite well.

Allen Brooks was our cd on Explorer in Dec. He was very approachable and funny. Tim was there also. If you have an chance to talk to him I think he would have alot to say. Good Luck

ALLAN!

He left for vacation on the day of my Explorer sailing! Heard he's super hilarious :]

Kirk or Ken would be good choices based on the way I've seen them handle semi-hostile crowds.

Kirk and Ken were both in "A Day In A Life of a Cruise Director" [or whatever it's called] and they seem like good CDs. It's interesting to see people's mixed reactions about Ken...I mean, I was totally waiting for someone to reply to your comment and say "the crowds were probably hostile because of Ken!" or something of the sort.

Thanks for your input :]

Love him or hate him, there's a reason Ken Rush takes out all the new ships. He's who I would want to interview.

If you're interviewing Captains, I would recommend Captain Leif Otto Bang. He's the senior Captain of RCI and is part of the history of the line.

(Sorry Tj, I know he's not that old).

I wouldn't say I HATE Ken I just found him to be a bit phoney, self-centered, and all about selling stuff.

Bouncing Becky Bingo was a lot more fun (granted she wasn't the CD then) - now I hear she's leaving to get married...

We enjoyed our time with Clo

James and Ken are definitely my favorites. But if you want answers about teaching, Dennis Sciortino is the person. He is actually the one who has trained all of the cruise directors you are talking about. We had a long talk with him about it on the Mariner in august.

As very few of you know, I sailed just a few weeks ago and I did some interviews with two crew members as a part of school [it's really complicated to explain the whole project and such, but you follow, yeah?]. It was really informative and a unique experience in my opinion. When I get a chance, I would like to do it again.

My interest: cruise directing!

So hence, I interviewed the cruise director on the Explorer of the Seas; the very awesome Mr. Dave Chapman. I sailed with him in August, and it was a big shock to see him again, since I heard that he wouldn't be on the Explorer now in December. I also interviewed the also-awesome Activities Manager, Tim Connor. They were both a delight to talk to.

So, my next cruise [maybe Spring break if my family is feeling generous?] might be based on who I'd like to interview next for my project. Afterall, my Explorer cruise was for project purposes, not destination...this was my third time in the Eastern Caribbean...seventh in the Caribbean all together. Let me say that I'm probably going to cruise somewhere that sails out of Florida, California, or New Jersey [coughunitedstatescough] but I would like to know, who do you think is a good cruise director to interview and learn from and why?

I know many of you have sailed wayyyy more than me, so I value each of your opinions. I've looked at those threads asking "Who is your favorite CD?" and all that and I get an idea of some favorites, but I would like for you to look at this in a "Who is a good teacher and great person to interview" rather than "Who is the most funny and entertaining". Well, actually, I would like the CD to be entertaining and above all, friendly, but there's some other factors that I want to be put into this.

So, if you have time, write/type away! I want to hear what you have to say!

Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone!

thank you Marissa for a thought provoking question....a nice change from irons,booze etc.

No one has mentioned Bill Brunkhorst. He may not be the most exciting of all the CDs (he's a little laid back), but we have always found him very friendly and very approachable. We have spent time talking to him on several voyages. I believe he's on Brilliance of the Seas at the present time.

No one has mentioned Bill Brunkhorst. He may not be the most exciting of all the CDs (he's a little laid back), but we have always found him very friendly and very approachable. We have spent time talking to him on several voyages. I believe he's on Brilliance of the Seas at the present time.

Bill went on leave after transatlantic and Abe is on at the moment but I agree with your comments on Bill.

He was at some of the dance classes and we were told he was a world renowned ballroom dancer with his sister I believe some years ago.

Archived