Insignia bound 09.26.04 - seeking Venice Hotel - Shoe - Murano Glass Advice

Greecebound

Greetings:

2 weeks and counting to my dream trip to Greece & Italy! First time sailing on Oceania - would appreciate any recommendations as to specific "must see" places on this itinerary as well as for authentic, non-touristy tavernas to experience.

My boyfriend & I are staying over in Venice an additional night. Any recommendations as to well located mid-priced hotels would be appreciated. Also - I am admitting it here - I am the local Miami Chapter Leader for Shoeaholics (lol) so would love any tips to assist me in unearthing great "finds" ...

Also - am searching for a signature murano glass piece for my dining room table and have heard that the actual factory tour is not all that great. Any recommendations for city shops to consider ?

MANY THANKS for taking the time to read this and offering advice.

I am also a shoe-a-holic. We spent 3 days in Venice 2 yrs ago and I did not see one place to buy shoes. Most of the time we were lost, roaming around, thank God for my wonderful walking shoes!!

As for Murano, there is not just "one" factory tour. Go into every shop, allot plenty of time, and you will find that piece you are looking for. This is not a place where every shop has the same as the one before. The pieces are not "cheap", but they are unique, and certainly an investment worth indulging. You won't find this selection anywhere else.

As for a hotel, our bedroom window opened onto the Grand Canal and was very romantic, wonderful, very small, but clean & adequate, and I sure wish I could remember the name, but you should be reminded that the Grand Canal is like a super highway, only instead of trucks, you have motor boats of all sizes going up & down all hours and it is verrrrry noisy from dawn to late evening. For one nite, it's worth it.

A post after my heart.. ;-)

If you are in the center of the St. Marks SQ. w/ your back to the water go to the left .. of the center and follow the walks.. the absolute best shopping is in the area around the most wonderful (my favorite hotel) the Gritti Palace..all the best stores are all around that area.. SHOES and more shoes!!!!

Your information was right. Do not take a tour to Murano. If you want to shop at the factories, take the water bus from St. Marcos to Murano. Do not take a tour as they take you to the dock of 1 factory, do a demo and let you shop in that store. You cannot get away from that one shop easily and stay on the tour. There is a lot of Murano glass available in Venice, shop there and save the time for looking for more shoes. Joyce

Lucky You!

We cruised in Greece for the first time this past May on the Westerdam and loved it. We spent an extra day in Venice at the end of the cruise and stayed at the Locanda Correr. It was a very small B & B type hotel not too far from St. Mark's square. As I recall it cost around $170 for the one night. It had recently been redone in Ventian style furnishings and the owner, Roberto, couldn't have been any nicer. He lugged our suitcases up and down the stairs as there is no elevator. I thought it was a wonderful location (very quiet--we even slept with the windows open) and convenient to catching the Alilaguna transport to the airport. You can find it on the internet under a search for Locanda Correr. Enjoy. We are taking our first Oceania cruise in the Caribbean this Nov. (hope there our some ports left to visit after all these hurricanes!)

Barbarag

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

While this was my first time posting a message on such a website, my sincere thanks for taking your valuable time to give me guidance in order to enhance the success of our upcoming trip (1 week from tomorrow !!!).

While not sure how I did it ... I "convinced" my wonderful boyfriend that while it most certainly makes sense to have the manufacturer or shop we purchase glass from to ship and insure our purchases directly back to the States, I notified him of the value of the 5-in-1 suitcase pack I stumbled across while shopping at "Targe" (lol) and low and behold, being the wise one, he agreed 100% that Yes, by taking the 2 largest suitcases that we in essence are building added "insurance" (above and beyond the already 3 suitcases set to go) to accomodate all those fine italian made shoes sitting patiently awaiting our arrival !

I look forward to sharing the insights from our cruise experience when we return home ... that is of course .... unless I've decided to sell olives, feta cheese & flowers on the roadside for the rest of my life !!!

Warmest Regards,

Diana ... Goddess of the Hunt

I am with you my dear on the extra suitcases... yes "target' is fabo for those deals..

Re: shoes

Sweetie.. they are waiting for you .. all kinds of them spikey, flowery, cute cute cute things..it's endless.. and so nice to take our feet shopping....... after we make them take us all over to find them they get their/our just rewards...have a great time..

• 3 weeks later...

WE sailed on the 8/31 Oceania cruise out of Venice and stayed at the Best Western Hotel Ala. It was great. It is a small hotel within easy walk of St. Marks Square and very reasonable priced for Venice. You can request a view of the canal. It is also easily reached by vaporetto as there is a vaporetto stop right by the hotel.

You will have a wonderful time - we loved out cruise!!!!!!!!!

Nancy

2 weeks and counting to my dream trip to Greece & Italy! First time sailing on Oceania - would appreciate any recommendations as to specific "must see" places on this itinerary as well as for authentic, non-touristy tavernas to experience.

My boyfriend & I are staying over in Venice an additional night. Any recommendations as to well located mid-priced hotels would be appreciated. Also - I am admitting it here - I am the local Miami Chapter Leader for Shoeaholics (lol) so would love any tips to assist me in unearthing great "finds" ...

Also - am searching for a signature murano glass piece for my dining room table and have heard that the actual factory tour is not all that great. Any recommendations for city shops to consider ?

MANY THANKS for taking the time to read this and offering advice.

Archived