Coral Wolrld Ocean Park... Any advice?

Beckaroous

We are extremely torn when it comes to St Thomas we basically want to do everything however there are 4 of us (18-30) and Coral World seems a bit expensive for just a 2 hours stop on the taxi tours and we would have to skip the beach.

Has anyone been? can you pet, swim with or interact with the Turtles or is it like the picture where you look over a cliff at them? Can we really spend a whole day there and feel fulfilled? Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

All sea turtles are protected by the federal Endangered Species Act and its a pretty common suggestion by those in the field to avoid touching or interfering with turtle activity.

At Coral World you view the turtles from above. They do have some animal interaction exhibits. If you were doing the standard visit it would take a couple hours to view exhibits, read informational signs, take your time. If you weren't reading the signs it would take less. If you did some of their additional activities like the seatrek or shark encounter then it would take longer.

--Islander

We went to Coral World on our last cruise. We enjoyed it, but we're "old fogies" :D ! There was a turtle show (I didn't see any interaction except with the employee), some interesting exhibits (our favorite was the lorikeets) and lots of iguanas roaming wild.

Given your ages, I'd suggest y'all go to a beach or do some other "young people" stuff. Save Coral World for when you get "old" like us :) !

We did the standard tour and were ready to leave after 2 hours.

All sea turtles are protected by the federal Endangered Species Act and its a pretty common suggestion by those in the field to avoid touching or interfering with turtle activity.

At Coral World you view the turtles from above. They do have some animal interaction exhibits. If you were doing the standard visit it would take a couple hours to view exhibits, read informational signs, take your time. If you weren't reading the signs it would take less. If you did some of their additional activities like the seatrek or shark encounter then it would take longer.

--Islander

Wow really!!! When we went to Grand Cayman you could pick up the turtles and take pictures with them. I even have a picture of me holding one and it "waving" at the camera.

In Barbados you can go into the ocean and swim with them and that was really cool. They are really big there so I wouldn't want to touch one but it was cool swimming with them. Made for some cool pictures.

In Barbados you also "had to save them" We stayed at an Eco Hotel and an egg hatched one night on the beach and they started running for the Bar instead of the water and we had to put down our drinks turn off the lights and music and throw as many into the ocean as we could catch since there was no moon and they were following the lights in the hotel. I got cool pictures of that too.

I'm now going with an 18 and 21 year old and was soooooo hoping that they could have an experience like me.

P.S. The shark encounter just sounded scary and when I brought up the sea lions the 18 year old looked at me like I was on drugs. I do appreciate you taking the time to explain why to me. Just because I don't like the answer doesn't mean its not a Great one!!!!

SAVE THE TURTLES!!!!!

We went to Coral World on our last cruise. We enjoyed it, but we're "old fogies" :D ! There was a turtle show (I didn't see any interaction except with the employee), some interesting exhibits (our favorite was the lorikeets) and lots of iguanas roaming wild.

Given your ages, I'd suggest y'all go to a beach or do some other "young people" stuff. Save Coral World for when you get "old" like us :) !

We did the standard tour and were ready to leave after 2 hours.

We can be old fogies too some times 30 is the new 50 when it comes to partying :D But that being said, 2 hours is not going to entertain these guys since they are poor college kids. I did watch the Lorikeets video on You Tube they do look like the best part. There was also a video of people being chased by an iguana. That did not look fun.

Thanks for your candor.

It is possiable in St. Thomas to go snorkeling in the ocean and see turtles, float or swim along while watching them. There are charters that go out to Turtle Cove at Buck Island; that is a good place to snorkel in general and usually there are turtles. Sometimes you see a turtle when snorkeling or swimming at the various beaches around the island, but its a thing of chance.

There are beaches in the USVI that are known turtle nesting beaches and a few of them are closed during nesting season. Some environmental organizations, primarily on St. Croix, monitor the nests and allow a limited number of people to join them for turtle watches and educational talks, usually at night though.

Anyway research the charter to Buck Island/Turtle Cove. Here is one such charter's photo gallery, there are a few turtle photos: http://www.usvisailing.com/photogallery.htm.

--Islander

• 1 month later...

Wow really!!! When we went to Grand Cayman you could pick up the turtles and take pictures with them. I even have a picture of me holding one and it "waving" at the camera.

In Barbados you can go into the ocean and swim with them and that was really cool. They are really big there so I wouldn't want to touch one but it was cool swimming with them. Made for some cool pictures.

In Barbados you also "had to save them" We stayed at an Eco Hotel and an egg hatched one night on the beach and they started running for the Bar instead of the water and we had to put down our drinks turn off the lights and music and throw as many into the ocean as we could catch since there was no moon and they were following the lights in the hotel. I got cool pictures of that too.

I'm now going with an 18 and 21 year old and was soooooo hoping that they could have an experience like me.

P.S. The shark encounter just sounded scary and when I brought up the sea lions the 18 year old looked at me like I was on drugs. I do appreciate you taking the time to explain why to me. Just because I don't like the answer doesn't mean its not a Great one!!!!

SAVE THE TURTLES!!!!!

I just received a brochure from Coral World and it said there is a turtle encounter, but you have to pay extra for it. I am going to try and post the info, but if it doesn't work, email me at ann junk at sbcglobal dot net and I will send you the pdf file.

Sorry - posting didn't work. It is $49 per adult. Again, please email if you want to full pdf file.

Archived